• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EFV goes to Pitti (picture thread)

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes.
MANY people do.

Really? I must not visit the right places but in 40 years and 50 countries I've never encountered this stuff. You make it sound widespread.

Not sure I have an answer to my question yet though. Okay, there might be 5 pc of worthwhile outfits in there if you look hard but I have not yet had it explained what is the attraction of the overwhelmingly outlandish apparel.

I understand what I will be seeing when I look at this thread. I want to know why people like it. Is my question that hard to comprehend?

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand what I will be seeing when I look at this thread. I want to know why people like it.
You know when you're driving on the highway and you see the flashing lights of police and ambulance ahead. You know there's been an accident but you tell yourself, 'don't look, don't look',..........

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I want to know why people like it. Is my question that hard to comprehend?

It's neither hard to comprehend nor particularly interesting, but consider these possibilities:

Novelty
Indifference to classicism
Interest in the subversion of archetypes
Love of color
Contrarianism

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that I agree with every outfit posted in this thread. Erica took a lot of the pictures as well, and I guess we were both looking for a wide variety of outfits, from outlandish to (by Pitti standards) conservative, from streetwear to CM. we wanted to get pictures of both women and men, both old and young and of every body type. I think we succeeded in getting at least a few outfits for every taste. It's pretty much a smorgasbord were you can take what you like and leave the rest.

Personally, I quite enjoy looking at a lot of outfits that I wouldn't necessarily wear myself, for a lot of different reasons.

Traveling a lot doesn't mean that much, since people often just see things they've set out to see. Nobody wants to think they are that boring, but really, most of us are creatures of habit, and we search out people/places we feel most akin to wherever we go.

Of course, Pitti is menswear on ecstasy, but I see a few outfits resembling these every now and then IRL.

Last edited:

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really? I must not visit the right places but in 40 years and 50 countries I've never encountered this stuff. You make it sound widespread.

Not sure I have an answer to my question yet though. Okay, there might be 5 pc of worthwhile outfits in there if you look hard but I have not yet had it explained what is the attraction of the overwhelmingly outlandish apparel.

I understand what I will be seeing when I look at this thread. I want to know why people like it. Is my question that hard to comprehend?
I think I answered your question already

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Also most people don't dress the way you percieve elegance.

So how about we call it a stalemate?

vida

Reaction score

It's neither hard to comprehend nor particularly interesting, but consider these possibilities:

Novelty
Love of color
Contrarianism

This. Well said. Enough said!

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Novelty
Love of color
Contrarianism

Well put, thank you. That is an excellent precis. Carry on with the show!

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Funny. Pretty sure that's Sander at 1:56.

Yup, I'm in there somewhere as well.

Oh btw, you're welcome for the Nature channel idea, Mr. Porter ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads