• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Average Joe at Pitti Uomo

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
had to show them......they can be very beachy pitti

17-02-2016_converse_deckstarslipon1970s_black_white_sh_2.jpg

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_0243.JPG

emptym

Reaction score
Very nice, both. My favorites are the ones with the contrast line running along the rand, like these:
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 4.42.17 PM.png

CM, I've always liked the rainbow checkerboard ones. Never had a pair though.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my kids were young hand painted ones were the rage, a lot of tattoo imagery . Wish I had taken pics at the time

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I immigrated to the US one of my first "wants" were a pair of white Vans...

I still have a pair of Jack Purcells lying around though...

So with this direction, when will Van Heusen, G. Beene, and Dockers show up at Pitti? :)

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting a blue suede pair for a while. Would replace a 19 yr old pair of blue suede Pumas that refuse to die. As a kid I was pretty strictly a laceups guy, but now I'd go for the slip ons. Old and lazy. I'll be living in NJ for the coming year and might get a pair of the winter Sk8 hi with the reverse tread. Would probably replace the laces with stretch versions so I could slip those on and off too.

You are still moving to NJ? Didn't you just renovate a home in SF?

emptym

Reaction score
^Yeah... it'll be a year or two in NJ to try it out. Good job offer. No pay increase, but a really good team.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yeah... it'll be a year or two in NJ to try it out. Good job offer. No pay increase, but a really good team.
That should be close enough to NYC so you should make regular trips across the Hudson!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New York City, my home town.
An enitrely different scale than the Bay Area,
More of everything except perfect weather.

emptym

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, but here's the last post I promised. No clothing, just a few shots of some things Ashish and I visited on the drive back to Milan, mostly Carrara and Palma.

Here's the mountain where the marble is quarried. Unfortunately, the pic doesn't capture the scale:
IMG_0447.jpg

Huge blocks of marble waiting to be sliced into slabs,
IMG_0462.jpg

at a place like this
IMG_0459.jpg

As you would expect, marble was way cheaper here than in the US. It was used all over the place in town, like as solid blocks for benches.

We also visited a multi-generational, family-owned custom furniture factory, where, if I understood correctly, the two brothers who own the shop do all of the hand carving.
IMG_0438.jpg

They make all kids of stuff, lots of it shipped to royalty in countries all over the world, most of it ornate and traditional, like in the promo picture below, but they make some modern stuff too.
IMG_0444.jpg

Finally, since no thread about Italy is complete w/o some shots of food, here's a few from one meal:
IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

We ate at a lot of good places, like Mangiafoco and Ristorante Dino in Florence, but for some reason, this small place that reminded me of a truck stop might have been my favorite. Simple, good stuff. It was called Passaparola, in Noceto, just outside of Parma.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads