• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Overcoat

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For no particular reason, the Prince's tweed polo:
521960148ye.jpg

Superb!

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That looks gray to me, not cream.

Let me try again. Not bad for $688.

http://www.doylenewyork.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=11DF01+++373+&refno=++825042

Lot 373
Double-Breasted Coat
In tan wool twill with peaked lapels and braided leather buttons, labeled H. Huntsman & Sons Ltd. 11, Saville Row London N.W.1, typewritten Douglas Fairbanks 24.04.70.
Worn in a photograph in The New York Post, March 20, 1980, with the caption 'Dapper Doug Does the Town. A smiling Douglas Fairbanks Jr., looking as fit and trim as ever, tips his hat to the Big Apple yesterday after lunching at La Cote Basque, 5 E. 55th St.'

C Estate of Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

Sold for $688 (Includes Buyer's Premium)
Estimate $150-250

Length of shoulders from seam to seam: 19 inches
Sleeve length: 24 1/2 inches
Shoulder length from seam to collar: 7 inches
Length of back: 42 inches

Generally in good conidition. Very minimal light staining. All buttons intact.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, I was freezing this weekend. I think I am going to get an overcoat. I am not too sure where to start for fabric. I probably wnt about 700g fabric, but since it will be my first, and likely only for some time I want something versatile. I wear mostly solids so I am thinking solid, maybe, I don't know. Navy? Charcoal? I am confused and stressing about this for sure.

Does anybody know if Tip Top in Brooklyn has a decent selection of overcoat fabric options? Or should I start elsewhere?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
patrick, I have a spare length of Harrison 700g navy herringbone. I will sell it at my cost, PM me if you want it. (It's not made any more FWIW, they still make that pattern but they dropped the weight to 600g). All wool.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
patrick, I have a spare length of Harrison 700g navy herringbone. I will sell it at my cost, PM me if you want it. (It's not made any more FWIW, they still make that pattern but they dropped the weight to 600g). All wool.

Really? I guess I got one of the last bunches when I placed my order with Tom Mahon last month for an overcoat in that fabric.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

first fitting
oc1aa.jpg
collar has to be adjusted
cuffs to be added

Is there an app for that? To look like the Grinch? Or is just pure Photoshop skilz? I'm quite envious of people with Photoshop skilz. There are just too many functions and too many ways of getting the same result.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
no, he really looks like that

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Will have to subscribe to his sales thead for the desiterata that "fell of the truck".

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks b.
i made an error
photo was of the second fitting

Now that is the way to do some overcoat patch pockets. Belt or martingale?

martingala of course!

Awesome. Will have to subscribe to his sales thead for the desiterata that "fell of the truck".

i haz a sales thread?

this was what was underneath
teh coat:

oc5h.jpg

oc6x.jpg

no photos
of the other fittings:
the photographer got bored
and she used the phone
for better things

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It is important that I know what that cloth is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads