• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Overcoat

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the coat Despos posted with the sash. Can't find the pic right now. Quite a few on here did not like it.
EDIT: Here it is:

This an excerpt from the article that inspired this coat

"The most distinguished garment of all is the polo coat itself. Double-breasted and patch-pocketed, with a half-belted back, frame pockets, set-in sleeves with cuffs, and swelled seams, the camel-hair polo is the aristocrat of topcoats.
At the end of the 19th century, polo players began to devise a casual robe-like coat to throw over their shoulders between periods of play (called chukkers) in a match, to keep warm while waiting for the game to resume. At first any old sports jacket or overcoat was pressed into service, but then players started to develop ideas about how the coat should function, and these ideas came to be called "wait" coats by English tailors. Early on they were indeed just like bathrobes: an enveloping blanket-like garment with wide sleeves, and a sash closure instead of buttons. In the 1920s, when international polo matches began being held on Long Island, the English wait coats did not go unnoticed.
There was definite swagger and cavalier deshabille about them, combining as they did the comfort of a robe, the warmth of a topcoat, and the aura of an expensive and elegant sport. Highly appealing to undergraduates of the era, these new "polo" coats were soon seen sauntering down Princeton's Nassau Street, and around New Haven and Cambridge. By 1930 the polo coat had evolved to what it is today, and - as sure a sartorial barometer of success as you could find -- it was the most popular outer coat at the Yale-Princeton football game that year.
It's success can be accounted for by the peculiarly American penchant for clothes that combine elegance with comfort, that casual dressiness that has always typified the college campus. It also puts polo gear in the forefront of the casual revolution we are now experiencing."

Cream OC reminds me of 1920s gangsters.

This is gangster? :puzzled:
I clearly don't watch enough old movies.

Have a piece of double faced cloth in the shop, will make it up in this style but unlined and with a surprise twist. Thanks for posting this.

It will be reversilble with non-patch pockets and the double faces will be of different colours/patterns but on the lapels the reverse side will not be visible, all done by sheer force of will? :D

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It will be reversilble with non-patch pockets and the double faces will be of different colours/patterns but on the lapels the reverse side will not be visible, all done by sheer force of will? :D[/quote]

Close, but with such high expectations you are sure to be disappointed. It's a very simple twist and it's a technical thing rather than styling. Not sure how to do it until I try. Haven't worked double faced cloth and want to try something new.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Don Lockwood (Gene Kelly) wears a great version of a wrap coat, in white, in the beginning of Singing in the Rain. In fact, that movie has a lot of the over the top Hollywood dressing veddy English look.

An easy to find still, though not a good view of the coat.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For no particular reason, the Prince's tweed polo:

521960148ye.jpg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hm, I see. I thought a polo had to have no buttons and be belted.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will be reversilble with non-patch pockets and the double faces will be of different colours/patterns but on the lapels the reverse side will not be visible, all done by sheer force of will? :D

Close, but with such high expectations you are sure to be disappointed. It's a very simple twist and it's a technical thing rather than styling. Not sure how to do it until I try. Haven't worked double faced cloth and want to try something new.
[/QUOTE]

(how can I be disappointed, it's your project :) )
How can it be close when it's a simple twist though, haha?
So what will it be?
What I described is a pure technical thing, especially keeping the lapels in the same colour with the different coloured/patterned double face fabric on a reversible coat.
Actually it is rather impossible^^.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don Lockwood (Gene Kelly) wears a great version of a wrap coat, in white, in the beginning of Singing in the Rain. In fact, that movie has a lot of the over the top Hollywood dressing veddy English look.

This is not the authentic Polo styling, this has slash pockets, not framed patch/flap pockets, straps on sleeve and no cuff, different lapels too

Last edited:

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That NC pic looks so great.
Have to agree though; I wouldn't wear it today. Gathers too much attention.
Has anyone seen the documentary about Prince Charles (The Green Prince or something?) - he wears a camel colored coat that looks absolutely great; just the right shade especially. Many shades of camel make caucasian faces look too red or too pale.

I haven't seen the documentary (link?), but i have to disagree on the first bit. What looks dated in this pic is the surrounding, not the coat itself. I would wear it any day without hesitation. We could discuss his collar, tie, hair, everything. But to me, the coat itself is the essence of timelessness, don't you think?

That looks gray to me, not cream.

I would say it looks grey, too.

[
What I described is a pure technical thing, especially keeping the lapels in the same colour with the different coloured/patterned double face fabric on a reversible coat.
Actually it is rather impossible^^.

Oh, it is possible, you just need some special effects and cheating, see James Bond: Live and let die.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is not the authentic Polo styling, this has slash pockets, not framed patch/flap pockets, straps on sleeve and no cuff, different lapels too

Yes. That is why I said it is an example of a wrap coat, much like your tan cashmere one.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Isn't the lady to the left of Kelly, Larry Mondello's mom?

Last edited:

david123

Reaction score
I'm planning to get a navy wool overcoat made, probably by one of the traveling tailors. I think I'd like to get a quilt lining on the inside for extra insulation. Will they all be able to do that? I also still can't figure out after reading the thread what price range to expect for a mid-priced wool coat from one of the traveling HK tailors. Can anyone share past prices for an overcoat they've had made recently?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads