• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berg and Berg

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know. My point is that they are robbing Peter to pay Paul. They are redistributing costs/savings...

In other words...could be that I get my VAT subtracted, but then have to pay a higher shipping fee = net neutral

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is that shipping fee would not be 20% of the cost of the item unless its $150 and under.

I'd reckon it's even more complicated than that....my point being: We/I don't know the costs for B&B doing expedited delivery to non-EU. It might be baked into any number of platforms...

So if I buy a polo for 120 and only pay 10 shipping vs get the vat back and pay 90, but have to pay 30 shipping and 10 for customs fee...? Etc...(also, not sure what other costs go into doing business for them with non-EU...could be other "hidden" costs that would be seemingly trivial for them to articulate? Anyway, it's easier doing business with them than most of the domestic brands I encounter, so...

Last edited:

Konnor

Reaction score
I'd reckon it's even more complicated than that....my point being: We/I don't know the costs for B&B doing expedited delivery to non-EU. It might be baked into any number of platforms...

So if I buy a polo for 120 and only pay 10 shipping vs get the vat back and pay 90, but have to pay 30 shipping and 10 for customs fee...? Etc...(also, not sure what other costs go into doing business for them with non-EU...could be other "hidden" costs that would be seemingly trivial for them to articulate? Anyway, it's easier doing business with them, than most of the domestic brands I encounter, so...
Thats my point. It may be worth it for a polo, but if you spend $1000, it is very unlikely that the shipping would be $200.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats my point. It may be worth it for a polo, but if you spend $1000, it is very unlikely that the shipping would be $200.

Yes, totally. Thus my "...see the price. Decide..."

I'd also point out that despite it being stated as fact, there is no certainty that B&B price their items according to what's been outlined on this thread. They could very well be spreading the pricing across a number of factors, not simply adding %25 to everything they sell. Just saying...

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My other point being: "Hey, B&B! You better give me my VAT back, or else I'll have to buy your better-than-any-other polo anyway? Ok? Don't make me do it!"

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw... Berg & Berg, if you're listening: Now that I've defended your honor and purchased multiple polos at a suspected premium to the detriment of your Government, I'd like to request a F/W version of your current polo (same exact collar and waste) in long-sleeve cotton or merino (NOT CASHMERE!). Thanks!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Btw... Berg & Berg, if you're listening: Now that I've defended your honor and purchased multiple polos at a suspected premium to the detriment of your Government, I'd like to request a F/W version of your current polo (same exact collar and waste) in long-sleeve cotton or merino (NOT CASHMERE!). Thanks!

They had some jersey cotton polos a few years ago with a collar that stood up nicely under a sports coat. I thought it was great. The jersey was terrific too. More like a sweater than a pique cotton polo, the surface was really smooth and soft.

No long-sleeved polos this season, unfortunately, but I'm hoping for an olive wool version this fall.

This is the collar on the jersey.

51712100_358337225018931_1753298284359239072_n-863x1024.jpg

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They had some jersey cotton polos a few years ago with a collar that stood up nicely under a sports coat. I thought it was great. The jersey was terrific too. More like a sweater than a pique cotton polo, the surface was really smooth and soft.

No long-sleeved polos this season, unfortunately, but I'm hoping for an olive wool version this fall.

This is the collar on the jersey.

View attachment 1422741

Yeah, I missed the boat on those. For this fall I'm hoping for a long-sleeve polo with something close to the current collar and [sweater] waistband. The waistband is actually the critical issue for me (don't want it to hang and I don't want to tuck...) - perfect for wearing under casual tailoring or [boring] leather jackets! ;-)

Their short-sleeve summer polos have the best sleeve proportions and band size that I've encountered. Reeeeeeally good!

Reaction score
Those blue button-downs are particularly sweet, especially considering collar-roll and price.
Does anyone have any longtime experience with the quality of their shirting?

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought one a few years ago second hand. It has hold up very well imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads