• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aspey's london store

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
After at least two years of building work and a cost of £ 40 million ($ 70 million) he new (rebuilt) Asprey store was opened this week. http://www.asprey.com It is a triumph, designed by Sir Norman Foster. The store is basically a collection of Georgian town houses and a once covered up courtyard has been opened up and has become a huge atrium covered with a glass roof. At present Asprey's London store must be the most luxurious shopping experience in the world. It is essentially a gift shop, just the most exclusive (and most expensive) gifts you can think of. Anybody visiting London ought to put it high on his or her list of "must sees". Even if you don't spend any money, go and "spend a penny" (it's actually free), visit the rest room, it's out of this world.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There seems to be no pictures on the website though. However Sir Norman Foster is quite the architect. Witness the Bank of China.

How would you compare it with the Jil Sander in Burlington Arcade, and the Prada megastores by Koolhaas?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How would you compare it with the Jil Sander in Burlington Arcade, and the Prada megastores by Koolhaas?
The Jil Sander as well as the Asprey London stores are both in localities that were not built as retail premises. Jil Sander is a former town palace where all the walls, as well as a ceiling have been ripped out, giving one huge white painted cube stretching over half of the building and over two storeys. In this white box the merchandise, is displayed, taking up only a small part of the available space. It gives very much the look of an art exhibition. It is beautiful, it is intimidating (particular as the store is usually empty) and it is icy cold.

By contrast the Asprey store is rather worm and intimate. Essentially they are (seven, I believe) Georgian town houses, forming a U-shape over three streets (Bond, Grafton and Albemarle Street). The Bond Street front has been fitted in Victorian times with the famous cast iron and plate glass front. Grafton and Albemarle Street are still the individual town houses. The shopping space has always been a rabbit warren, it still is; but now the rooms and houses flow beautiful into each other. The glass roofed Atrium with a majestically sweeping stair case covers the former garden space between the backs of these houses.

The shopping spaces, apart from the Atrium are very intimate, you go from one room into another, maybe taking a couple of steps up or down and then you realize you are actually in another building. One of the houses has the most spectacular Georgian staircase, which I had never seen before (probably boarded up in the previous store).

Asprey, Jil Sander and Ralph Lauren (all dark wood and no daylight) are the most spectacular shopping venues in London. Each one of them has their own way and individual look.

(The two Prada stores in London are pleasant, all grey-beige, but they are nothing spectacular and definitely not Rem Koolhaas designed.)

TimelessRider

Reaction score
(The two Prada stores in London are pleasant, all grey-beige, but they are nothing spectacular and definitely not Rem Koolhaas designed.)
The Koolhaas designed Prada store in Soho, NY isn't particularly impressive either.

thc

Reaction score
How is the Asprey ready-to-wear collection? I heard it was being designed by Hussein Chalayan and was curious.

Phil

Reaction score
I had some time between appts. this past Thurs. and strolled through the Asprey store on 5th ave. in Manhattan. I was most impressed by the leather and crocodile goods they had for sale. The clothing wasnt really my thing, but they did have a few pair of Edward Green shoes on display. The markups were RLPL/Jay Kos like, meaning they were 995-1400 (at least you get the shoe tree at RL). Any idea who makes their leather goods for them, or if they make the goods themselves? Its so hard to tell these days, you never know what companies actually make their own goods, and which ones are merely a brand, that contracts everything out.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely intend to check out the new store sometime this year. Â Maybe even bump into Keira...
wink.gif
Originally posted by Phil: ...Any idea who makes their leather goods for them, or if they make the goods themselves? Â Its so hard to tell these days, you never know what companies actually make their own goods, and which ones are merely a brand, that contracts everything out.
I have a few belts and wallets, along with a leather jacket from Aspery. Â I am quite sure that they make the belts and wallets. Â As for the jacket, I don't know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads