• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

300zxtt8

Reaction score

From my research, Dolabany is only sold in person at eyeglass stores. Check here for store locations. The only ones I've seen online were sold on places like eBay.

The eyeglass shop I visited quoted me $200 for the frames only. Just be aware that they come in two sizes - 44mm and 46mm lens width. I recommend trying them on in person. I found the 44mm way too small for my face. I think the 46mm is probably the better fit for most people.

Someone who's familiar with both the Moscot and Dolabany said that both models are practically identical to one another. Both have 7 barrel hinges, hand applied rivets and are similar in shape.

Other than the fact Moscot is available online and comes in larger sizes, he said that you should expect to pay about $50 more for the Moscot due to the name.

Thanks for your detailed reply, as I am not located in the US and I will.not have the luxury of trying it out in person as well. I agreed that the size 46mm should be more suitable for most people cause I bought a vintage Tart Arnel online in size 44mm and they are like kid's size. Been wearing rimless frame most of my time and just wanna try this out. Manage to some quote from some online optical shop and they are priced between $195 to $220.Just wondering which are the colour you think looks great? Thanks again.

Ivan
Singapore

Phrost

Reaction score
Cool what color are you vintage Tart Arnels? Were they expensive?

It's interesting that they're so coveted nowadays, since I learned that Tart Arnel in their day were working class frames and not terribly prestigious.

I agree, I'm glad I tried them on in person because the 44mm look stupid on me. They look great on guys with smaller faces like James Dean and Johnny Depp, but they'e definitely vintage sized and do not complement people with larger faces.

I'm a fan of the Demi Amber/Tortiseshell. I think Black looks pretty good as well, but for me, it's a bit too much of a stark contrast. I guess it's really personal preference.

Last edited:

Crazy8Leo

Reaction score

Hi guys, I'm new to the site but have been enjoying reading some of the posts recently.
Was wondering if anyone knows where I could find some glasses similar to these? I basically need the black frame with the the gold bridge trim. Preferably still with the roundish lenses. Any help would be appreciated

lol

Reaction score

Can anyone id these worn by Malcolm McDowell in season 3 of Mozart in the Jungle?
LL
If they are not Paul Smith, they may be l.A eyeworks, which is an expert in colored frames. http://www.laeyeworks.com/collections/la-eyeworks

lol

Reaction score

Someone else already responded but Tom Ford eyewear really is just a super overpriced mass produced frame. The frame does not merit it's price tag. If you're looking for a classic look with good quality, I would suggest Matsuda and Kio Yamato. The styles are classic and the quality is top notch for the price.

Another thing to consider, that I found in your photos, was that your glasses sit on your cheeks. This may be a reason why your frames are feeling. I would bet that they are peeling around the nose, at the bottom of the eyewire and towards the ends of the temples.

Good suggestions, and also Mikli and Blake Kuwahara.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good suggestions, and also Mikli and Blake Kuwahara.

I don't think of Kuwaharas as classic style. They are pretty damn funky. Almost bought a pair the other weekend but the stems werent long enough.

lol

Reaction score

I don't think of Kuwaharas as classic style. They are pretty damn funky. Almost bought a pair the other weekend but the stems werent long enough.

So you mean funky cannot be classic. I agree most of Kuwaharas are funky. I just picked a pair of Kuwahara out of three possible choices from Gold & Wood,
Thom Browne, and Kuwahara. At the end, the Kuwahara pair I picked offered something different but not too overboard. I will post their pic(s) when I get them
from the optometrist.

Best Regards,

Last edited:

Noub

Reaction score
Might be a stupid question, but I've been into Gentle Monster recently and am wondering if it were possible/how hard it'd be to get prescription lenses for any of their sunglasses frames given their colours and shapes etc

lol

Reaction score

Might be a stupid question, but I've been into Gentle Monster recently and am wondering if it were possible/how hard it'd be to get prescription lenses for any of their sunglasses frames given their colours and shapes etc

Speaking from my own experience as a consumer, I don't think it is hard at all for you to get prescription lenses for those frames.
The only important thing is you have to pay more (maybe a lot more) for the lenses. You have to pay for the lenses (depended on
the material you choose) and all the coatings you want, progressive for multi-focal, polarized, and over size lenses if applicable.
Those may add up to a substantial sum if you want to have good lenses that have all the features.
By the way, there are some nice and stand out frames on the website, so good luck on your search.

Jared7

Reaction score

Thanks for your detailed reply, as I am not located in the US and I will.not have the luxury of trying it out in person as well. I agreed that the size 46mm should be more suitable for most people cause I bought a vintage Tart Arnel online in size 44mm and they are like kid's size. Been wearing rimless frame most of my time and just wanna try this out. Manage to some quote from some online optical shop and they are priced between $195 to $220.Just wondering which are the colour you think looks great? Thanks again.

Ivan
Singapore

If you're looking at that style I would seriously consider the Fairmount by Cult Eyewear. Having owned everything from vintage Tart Arnels, Dolabany's and Moscots, the Cult Eyewear frames are far more accurate in terms of shape, thickness and overall aesthetics to the vintage frames. In fact the owner actually went to great lengths to track down James Dean's eyeglasses and reproduced them to a T. I own 2 pairs myself in demi-amber and black. They also come in 46mm which would work for you.

https://www.cultframes.com/collections/vintage_eyeglass_frames-fairmount
PS. They're on sale at the moment at either $125/$175 depending on colour

Noub

Reaction score

Speaking from my own experience as a consumer, I don't think it is hard at all for you to get prescription lenses for those frames.
The only important thing is you have to pay more (maybe a lot more) for the lenses. You have to pay for the lenses (depended on
the material you choose) and all the coatings you want, progressive for multi-focal, polarized, and over size lenses if applicable.
Those may add up to a substantial sum if you want to have good lenses that have all the features.
By the way, there are some nice and stand out frames on the website, so good luck on your search.

Thanks! The only other thing is, would it be best to get the lenses done at the same place that sells the frames? Like if I were to just get the frames somewhere would I be able to bring that to any (good/decent) optical store and have it done?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads