• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

plot

Reaction score

If you're looking at that style I would seriously consider the Fairmount by Cult Eyewear. Having owned everything from vintage Tart Arnels, Dolabany's and Moscots, the Cult Eyewear frames are far more accurate in terms of shape, thickness and overall aesthetics to the vintage frames. In fact the owner actually went to great lengths to track down James Dean's eyeglasses and reproduced them to a T. I own 2 pairs myself in demi-amber and black. They also come in 46mm which would work for you.

https://www.cultframes.com/collections/vintage_eyeglass_frames-fairmount
PS. They're on sale at the moment at either $125/$175 depending on colour

I purchased a pair of these when looking for my second pair of eyeglasses. For the sale price the quality is good, but don't buy them at MSRP, they're not comparable to brands at that price point (SALT, Oliver Peoples, Moscot, Barton Perreira). I'd say the quality is on par with Warby Parker. Perhaps it was a one off, but on mine the rivets were not set perfectly, and finishing wasn't great. Ultimately I ended up returning them.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Those look like Tart Arnels

http://www.tartoptical.com/style.php

I had a pair that lasted me about six years. Excellent frames, very well made. But not produced anymore. You can still find deadstocks on eBay, but they're pricey, somewhere around 450-500 when I bought mine.

Last edited:

lol

Reaction score

Thanks! The only other thing is, would it be best to get the lenses done at the same place that sells the frames? Like if I were to just get the frames somewhere would I be able to bring that to any (good/decent) optical store and have it done?

Honestly, I wish I know the answer to your question, but I just don't, seriously.

300zxtt8

Reaction score

If you're looking at that style I would seriously consider the Fairmount by Cult Eyewear. Having owned everything from vintage Tart Arnels, Dolabany's and Moscots, the Cult Eyewear frames are far more accurate in terms of shape, thickness and overall aesthetics to the vintage frames. In fact the owner actually went to great lengths to track down James Dean's eyeglasses and reproduced them to a T. I own 2 pairs myself in demi-amber and black. They also come in 46mm which would work for you.

https://www.cultframes.com/collections/vintage_eyeglass_frames-fairmount
PS. They're on sale at the moment at either $125/$175 depending on colour

Thanks for the recommendation will look into it.

300zxtt8

Reaction score

Hi guys, I'm new to the site but have been enjoying reading some of the posts recently. Was wondering if anyone knows where I could find some glasses similar to these? I basically need the black frame with the the gold bridge trim. Preferably still with the roundish lenses. Any help would be appreciated
Hi guys, I'm new to the site but have been enjoying reading some of the posts recently. Was wondering if anyone knows where I could find some glasses similar to these? I basically need the black frame with the the gold bridge trim. Preferably still with the roundish lenses. Any help would be appreciated
Hi! Came across this while browsing, maybe you may like it. Looks pretty well built and it's low cost. Here the link: New TR90 men women male female optical frame,eyeglasses,eyewear frame,eye glasses,spectacles frame,oculos http://s.aliexpress.com/bUjyE7bA (from AliExpress Android)

Last edited:

Jared7

Reaction score

I purchased a pair of these when looking for my second pair of eyeglasses. For the sale price the quality is good, but don't buy them at MSRP, they're not comparable to brands at that price point (SALT, Oliver Peoples, Moscot, Barton Perreira). I'd say the quality is on par with Warby Parker. Perhaps it was a one off, but on mine the rivets were not set perfectly, and finishing wasn't great. Ultimately I ended up returning them.

Honestly can't say I've experienced this from the 2 pairs I own. The acetate is rich and glossy, the rivets are shaped quite nicely and arms secured with strong 7 barrel hinges.

pl0nky

Reaction score
Hey sorry if this doesn't belong here, but I just found out about yellow plus frames and saw a pair I liked. Would any one know how i would go about purchasing them? Thanks

lol

Reaction score

So you mean funky cannot be classic. I agree most of Kuwaharas are funky. I just picked a pair of Kuwahara out of three possible choices from Gold & Wood,
Thom Browne, and Kuwahara. At the end, the Kuwahara pair I picked offered something different but not too overboard. I will post their pic(s) when I get them
from the optometrist.

Best Regards,

As promised, here is my Kuwahara Fowler

Last edited by a moderator:

lol

Reaction score
Does anyone know the brand and model for this pair of glasses? Thanks in advance.

STEPHEN-EICHHORN-TS_S_-OMBRE-PLAID-WOOL-NYLON-CLOTH-QUILTED-CARDIGAN-JACKET-HERRINGBONE-BLANKET-CLOTH-ZIP-FRONT-CAMP-JACKET-MEYVN-CHICAGO_grande.jpg

motojobobo

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for a B&M store in NYC where I can get to try a good selection of Maui Jim sunglasses and also get expert guidance on fit/style/optical protection.
I searched this thread for this info but I couldn't find it...sorry if I missed it.
Thanks a lot.

robster35

Reaction score
Guys are the Moscot Lemtosh sunglasses worth the price? Any knockoffs or similar style in a different brand that are almost as good but cost less?

icharlie

Reaction score
I'm into these kinds of frames. I already have them and still looking for some nice frames. Any recommendations? TIA
001_a_1_5.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads