• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CityConnection,
What's your opinion of Nikon lenses, particularly their SeeMax technology? My optician suggested I try them instead of the the Essilor lenses I'd been wearing previously. I've had the Nikon lenses for almost 2 weeks now and I find that I don't see as well as I did with my old pair - there's definitely some distortion and blurriness in my field of vision. My optician says the lenses are normal and free of defects but he'll switch them back to Essilor if that's what I want. Is this just a personal matter or are some lenses objectively better than others?
Thanks.

Seemax progressives or single vision? What kind of lenses did you have before? What is your rough rx and has it changed from before? Is it a new frame or the same old frame? If so, what kind of frame was the old one and what kind of frame is the new one?

hahaha...I realize that it's a lot of questions, but in order to problem solve, the more info the better.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whats your opinion on the quality of Dita Sunglasses?

I haven't had any long term experience with them to know know how well they are made. In terms of price point and value, I think they may be a bit high for their initial quality and design. In that price range I think you can find a lot of other brands that are equally as nice. Although they do have some unique pieces and interesting design features.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Yesterday I saw what I thought were the perfect pair of glasses, but I can't ID them. Their shape was very similar to the Lafont Jupiter from what I could tell, but they had a gold band at the hinge of the temple. They had the two screws, and the lenses were slightly more oval than some of the other classic models. The entire frames were on the thinner side too. Can anyone guess what they might have been? I suspected the Oliver Peoples Dannie, the Francois Pinton Passeport, or the Armani 786 but the former two don't have the band and the latter doesn't have the two screws.

Last edited:

lovelux2010

Reaction score
will make a previous question shorter - is it OK to buy Oliver Peoples Eyeglasses with to convert them to sunglasses (the eyeglass sizes come smaller which i like i'm not into oversized sunglasses)..

thanks!>.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yesterday I saw what I thought were the perfect pair of glasses, but I can't ID them. Their shape was very similar to the Lafont Jupiter from what I could tell, but they had a gold band at the hinge of the temple. They had the two screws, and the lenses were slightly more oval than some of the other classic models. The entire frames were on the thinner side too. Can anyone guess what they might have been? I suspected the Oliver Peoples Dannie, the Francois Pinton Passeport, or the Armani 786 but the former two don't have the band and the latter doesn't have the two screws.

The 2 "screws" are actually described as "rivets". The "band" is described as a "trim". I'm not trying to be a smart alec, I'm just correcting you so that you can narrow your search better.

As well, unfortunately I don't know what kind of frames they are. Although a lot of O&X frames seem to have a small gold trim on them these days.

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

will make a previous question shorter - is it OK to buy Oliver Peoples Eyeglasses with to convert them to sunglasses (the eyeglass sizes come smaller which i like i'm not into oversized sunglasses)..
thanks!>.

Absolutely! When making RX sunglasses, they will take out the lenses and put in new lenses anyhow. Whether you pick a regular frame or a sunglass frame, they will be able to make them into regular clear lenses OR prescription sunglass lenses. If you want, you can even make sunglasses into regular glasses.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seemax progressives or single vision? What kind of lenses did you have before? What is your rough rx and has it changed from before? Is it a new frame or the same old frame? If so, what kind of frame was the old one and what kind of frame is the new one?
hahaha...I realize that it's a lot of questions, but in order to problem solve, the more info the better.

They're the Seemax single vision. I had Essilor before. I have pretty severe myopia (-6/-8) and astigmatism. Same prescription. Same frame.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Fake check please. Let me know if you need more pictures.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're the Seemax single vision. I had Essilor before. I have pretty severe myopia (-6/-8) and astigmatism. Same prescription. Same frame.

Depending on the amount of astigmatism this could happen. Basically, the thicker the lens becomes, the more distortion you'll see. Seemax does reduce distortion on the side but you'll always get the best vision through the middle of the front. Also another thing to consider is the base curve. The curvature of the lenses may be different as well as the index. All these are contributing factors. If you still don't feel comfortable, I would suggest to go change it back to the Essilor lenses. For whatever reason, it might just be a more suitable lens, although you will adapt to the new lenses. Usually people take up to 2 weeks to adapt, some even longer.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

The pics aren't super clear, but what I can tell, they look real. And if they aren't real, they are still made well.

Yea, low light and holding the camera by hand never works well :( I can retake if there is something in particular that would help identify them.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if you posted about this before - could you explain all this lens stuff like Crizal, etc?

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depending on the amount of astigmatism this could happen. Basically, the thicker the lens becomes, the more distortion you'll see. Seemax does reduce distortion on the side but you'll always get the best vision through the middle of the front. Also another thing to consider is the base curve. The curvature of the lenses may be different as well as the index. All these are contributing factors. If you still don't feel comfortable, I would suggest to go change it back to the Essilor lenses. For whatever reason, it might just be a more suitable lens, although you will adapt to the new lenses. Usually people take up to 2 weeks to adapt, some even longer.

Thanks. That's helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads