• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i recently ordered B&L wayferes from ebay, how cool will i look in them?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone heard of/tried Bon Look?: http://www.bonlook.com/
Apparently I would only be able to get frames, not lenses due to a province restriction. Can I just go to an opticians and ask them the put in my prescription? I can't remember the last time I just got a prescription and not bought frames at the same time.

I have never seen them at a trade show including Vision Expo East that I just got back from. In my opinion, if you can't show your frames at a trade show that means you don't know enough about the industry or products, the quality of the frames are poor or you just don't have the budget to exhibit. I mean no disrespect to the brand but that's just my personal opinion.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can have your perscription wrtten on a cocktail napkin and they'll make you lenses. It's not like drugs, were they need to see it on a RX pad.

No. It has to say the Doctors name, address, phone number, licence number , date and so on. Some might take it but legally, they shouldn't.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two questions. One: What do you believe are the rules of fit for sunglasses? i.e. Dress shirts should fall exactly at the shoulder to be a proper fit. What rules apply for sunglasses?
Two: Do you know any other models that are similar to the Mosley Tribe Lyndels? http://www.mosleytribes.com/shop/lyndel.html# I love the edgy angles on this pair of sunglasses, but these are a bit tight on my face.

In terms of fit, they shouldn't go past the width of your face. But at the same time shouldn't show too much of the side of your face as well. In terms of fit, there are many different styles that a suitable for different face shapes. A good rule of thumb is to pick a shape that is the opposite of the shape of your face. Round face = square glasses. Long face = deep glasses.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have a rec on quality readers? Hey, I'm old, but I still want to look!
Any frame can be made into readers. If you want "stylish" expensive readers, look for Porsche Design. A bit pricier than I would pay, but you're paying for the name and you're showing off the name. Other than that, most pre-made readers are average quality at BEST. Depending on your rx you can basically make any spectacle frame into a pair of readers.

Edgein

Reaction score
I have some Zeiss frames with made up lenses and some Cartier as well. Mostly just cheap to moderately cheap made up readers from China. I like the half frame, that way you don't have to deal with the top plastic in your line of sight. Most look like they are, cheap and funky.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
hi guys..
i'm looking for a paris of sunglasses but having trouble finding a pair that arent giant on my face. i currently wear OP LancR frames in a size 50, and i like the Oliver Peoples sunglasses but they all seem massive (i like Altman, Escobar, Basel, Deacon). The OP Deacon are 50 so i will try those at adam simmonds in London, but a lot of the other frames are 55+..

so, do you guys generally try to fit sunglasses as you woudl eyeglasses in terms of fit? i will have lighter lenses where you acn still see my eyes so i dont want to be too oversized..

also - what are your thoughts on buying OP eyeglasses and converting them to sunglasses? do people do this with success? or does this look strange? there seems to be a much larger choice of eyeglass frames in different sizes but not a lot of sunglasses in different sizes..

anyways long post sorry!

GuP

Reaction score
Do any of you ever purchase shades from ebay? I am looking at seller "cocedka" - seems to have good feedback and sells glasses exclusively. Good idea or no no?

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CityConnection,

What's your opinion of Nikon lenses, particularly their SeeMax technology? My optician suggested I try them instead of the the Essilor lenses I'd been wearing previously. I've had the Nikon lenses for almost 2 weeks now and I find that I don't see as well as I did with my old pair - there's definitely some distortion and blurriness in my field of vision. My optician says the lenses are normal and free of defects but he'll switch them back to Essilor if that's what I want. Is this just a personal matter or are some lenses objectively better than others?

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads