• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

kevinwang1219

Reaction score
unfortunately they strictly say black. i got the slim cut suits with JAB and its still pretty boxy. That is why i would like to explore my options.

Spurious

Reaction score
1. If you already regret your purchases, return them asap. No matter what anyone else says, if you dont feel comfortable in your clothes, you will never confidently wear them.
2. You dont need 4 black suits, two are enough.
3. The only black suits policy might be the dumbest thing ever, unless you are a chauffeur (no offense if so, then it would make sense).

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

unfortunately they strictly say black.  i got the slim cut suits with JAB and its still pretty boxy.  That is why i would like to explore my options. 

Bringing suits to a tailor is not optional. It's a must. Get them tailored. The tailor will do the finishing touches such as bringing the jacket in at the waist, which will cure the boxy look. Both the sleeves and trousers will also need to be slimmed and shortened.

Black in the day time is just wrong. Period. Seriously, unless you're at a funeral. Get very dark charcoal grey and navy blue. I can't believe your company forbids its employees from wearing navy blue suits.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What length tie would someone who is around 6'4" 270-300 lbs need? (It's a gift, so I don't want to ask for neck size.)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What length tie would someone who is around 6'4" 270-300 lbs need? (It's a gift, so I don't want to ask for neck size.)

Probably an extra-long tie. One which is at least 63", as opposed to a regular length tie which is more like 58". (These lengths can vary a little from manufacturer to manufacturer.) Possibly even an extra-extra-long tie, of more than 67", but a mere extra-long, which is most often around 63", would probably suffice.

And lest anyone argue the point, citing someone they know who is 6'5" tall, and who weighs 310 lbs., but who wears a regular length tie because his height and weight is mostly in his arms and legs... well, exceptions (and freakish builds) exist. But generally, at 6'4" and close to 300 lbs., a regular length tie will be shorter than desired. And that's just the reality of it.

It can be harder to find a nice extra-long tie, than to find a nice regular length tie, but it's really not all that difficult. My tie rack is full of nice extra-long ties, proving that it can definitely be done. Finding extra-extra-longs is considerably more difficult, particularly if one doesn't really care to shop the Big & Tall men's stores. Although I'm pretty sure Hober (among others) will make your tie just as long as you like.

I'm typically not a real fan of giving clothing as gifts - and neckties count. Especially if it's not to someone you know really, really well (like, a parent/child, a spouse, or a sibling). Since you don't know the fellow's neck size, I'm guessing he's not your parent or child, your spouse, or your sibling, since in any of these cases finding out his neck size would be pretty easy. And I'm even less of a fan of giving unusually large clothing as a gift. It's just got too much potential to go badly. So please reconsider your proposed gift. (Although it could be worse, I suppose. The recipient could work at Chase.)

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm typically not a real fan of giving clothing as gifts - and neckties count. Especially if it's not to someone you know really, really well (like, a parent/child, a spouse, or a sibling). Since you don't know the fellow's neck size, I'm guessing he's not your parent or child, your spouse, or your sibling, since in any of these cases finding out his neck size would be pretty easy. And I'm even less of a fan of giving unusually large clothing as a gift. It's just got too much potential to go badly. So please reconsider your proposed gift. (Although it could be worse, I suppose. The recipient could work at Chase.)

Thanks for the advice. It's for a wedding/groomsman. I'd rather get him something that looks good on him instead of getting the same ties for everyone.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's for a wedding/groomsman.

If he's your groomsman, you presumably have a decent relationship with him. So simply say to him, "I'm getting all of my groomsmen neckties. You wear an extra-long tie?" And then you'll know what length tie he wears.

Despite what I said about giving clothing as gifts, it's okay for a groom to give his groomsmen neckties. Same way that I'd discourage giving your guy friends jewelry, but giving your groomsmen matching cuff links would be okay. Groomsmen gifts fall into a special category that way.

Oh, whenever I read here on SF that someone's getting married, I have to ask - you're not having your groomsmen all dress in matching outfits, are you? Please, for the love of Dog, tell me you're not making that mistake, no matter what the bride and/or wedding planner want. You have one groomsman who is the size of Herman Munster. You probably have another who's on the short and slight side. It's unlikely that the suit and/or tuxedo which looks best on one, will also look best on the other. Moreover, in looking at old wedding photos, I've never, ever thought to myself, "I wish all of grandpa's groomsmen had been wearing identical suits." So long as the groomsmen are dressed in the appropriate tone, there is absolutely nothing to be gained from having them all match, and quite a bit of reason to avoid this.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oh, whenever I read here on SF that someone's getting married, I have to ask - you're not having your groomsmen all dress in matching outfits, are you? Please, for the love of Dog, tell me you're not making that mistake, no matter what the bride and/or wedding planner want. You have one groomsman who is the size of Herman Munster. You probably have another who's on the short and slight side. It's unlikely that the suit and/or tuxedo which looks best on one, will also look best on the other. Moreover, in looking at old wedding photos, I've never, ever thought to myself, "I wish all of grandpa's groomsmen had been wearing identical suits." So long as the groomsmen are dressed in the appropriate tone, there is absolutely nothing to be gained from having them all match, and quite a bit of reason to avoid this.

No, don't worry. I've just asked them to wear solid charcoal suits (which, surprisingly, only 1/3 owned, but other other 2 were open to buying), white shirts, and black shoes (I'd prefer brown but black is safer). And I of course will provide ties, non-matching, but color coordinated. I'm trying to fight the good fight against matching, but some compromises are necessary. The wedding-industrial complex is strong.

(The white shirt thing is actually a open issue because her dress is off-white and she asked if we could get off-white dress shirts.)

I was also pissed off the one wedding I've been in that I couldn't wear my own tuxedo because it was single button, peak lapel instead of 2 button, notch lapel, so I had to shell out $200 for a Men's Wearhouse rental that didn't fit.

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was also pissed off the one wedding I've been in that I couldn't wear my own tuxedo because it was single button, peak lapel instead of 2 button, notch lapel, so I had to shell out $200 for a Men's Wearhouse rental that didn't fit.

Friggin' ridiculous.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That dress code is just insane.

Any rule that ridiculous is typically justified on the grounds of safety. (You know, like some of the rules at the airport.)

"Studies show that men in black suits are 2% less likely to abduct children than are men in charcoal suits. Chase cares about our children's safety. Don't you?"

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I've been really following a lot of forums regarding suits and style, but now I think I made a bad decision.  I am 23 years old with a banker position, so I need suits on a daily basis.  People say that Jos. Bank suits don't last and have a VERY boxy look.  I am 6'0, 190 lbs with an athletic build and broad shoulders.  In my opinion, my shoulders look extremely big with the new suits I just purchased, but my mom and gf said I am just paranoid.

I got the deal where it is 70% off and if you buy 3, you get 1 for free.  I thought that was a great deal and since I need a suit 5 days out of the week, and 4 suits seem really appealing.  But like with every suit I need it altered and can imagine each suit costing around 110 to 150 in alterations.  I can stick a lot more than a fist in my jacket.

I just want to know my options.  I just spent 900 dollars on 4 suits but I really don't like the boxy look and can still return them since i didn't do any alterations to them.  I just bought it today and am regretting my decision.  I have 1 suit in my closet from high school that I can still wear for now because I start the job tomorrow, but I would like opinions on the route to go.

The water's under the bridge. You should have come to this forum before you bought those suits man. Like the post above me, I too recommend Brooks Brothers. Just have one nice suit rather than plain garbage for $900. Yikes. Come here for advice before u buy something again. This place has some great people who will give u sound advice.

plainnerd

Reaction score
Had a salesman at Nordstrom tell me that I should only use the middle of the three holes on monk straps, and if I'm using the third hole I should be going down a half size. All my monks fit great in the last hole, any truth to this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads