• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Pingu

Reaction score
I need some recommendations on which stores to visit for buying my first suit.

I read up a lot on suits etc etc to the point im getting pissed off bc its hard to be knowledgable without experience of wearing suits imo. Anyway, I live in toronto and for the first suit I'm leaning away from an online buy such as suitsupply/indiochino as I've read up on a lot of misfits and although they use good fabric, their quality isn't up to par.

My budget is 500-700. Might consider a little more if necessary but defnitely no more than 1000.
The suit brands known for good quality based on research are Harry Rosen/Brooks Brother/Zegna/(Hugo boss? Seems to be a lot of hate for it)/Ralph Lauren purple line.
Are there any cheaper stores with good quality like Moores/Top tailers/etc? (I've never been to those yet)
Also is Strauss MensWear at Fairview Mall worth looking into? They carry 3 brands. Their own, Hugo Boss, Zegna

Any recommendation and advices are appreciated.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Brooks Brothers, I believe their end of year sale is still going on, bringing their suits into your price range.

Badandy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

http://www.loake.co.uk/loake-1880/boot/kempton-rubber-sole.html

I think I'm getting these and would like some size advice. I have searched and wanted to verify my thinking based off of those searches. This is Loake, UK sizing, F-fitting (I think that's the width this boot comes in standard). I wear an 8 in the AE 5-last. I'm thinking I should go down a full size in this boot and buy a 7 but I'm not sure.

Booter

Reaction score

SPNarwhal

Reaction score
Hello forum members, I'm new here and have a question about some pants if somebody could give me any information on them. (They're Levi's)
I tried to make a new thread for it, but it just didn't happen. Do I need to have a certain amount of posts before I can open my own thread or something like that?

kayfouroh

Reaction score
I just thrifted these AEs for 5$ but they have seen much better days. Does anyone think it's worth it to send them to AE and see what they can do? The worst cracking is near the front where the natural bend is. The worst overall is behind the right top seam which has about a 1cm tear but isn't extremely noticeable.

http://imgur.com/a/HTDZu

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone think it's worth it to send them to AE and see what they can do?

That's an option, of course. It's just that it'd bother me that AE would wind up charging me probably 2/3 as much as a new pair of shoes would run from the Shoebank, or even from amazon or Nordstrom during a good sale. Which doesn't mean I might not do it, just that it'd annoy me.

Still, for $5 those shoes are a major score. Even if you wind up choosing not to go the AE recrafting route, you could absolutely flip the shoes in their current condition on eBay, and make some profit on the deal.

Plus, if you do get them fixed up, they're nice, versatile shoes. Not some weird two-tone semi-demi-casual kiltie-and-tassel thing which you buy because they're Allen Edmonds, but never really want to wear. No, the pair you thrifted would work fine with most business suits.

Yeah, go get an estimate from AE. If it's ridiculously high, see if maybe there's a really good, old school cobbler, near you. They're not nearly as common as they once were, but in some places you can still find an expert cobbler. And if he could fix up your shoes, I bet he'd do it faster and far less expensively than would AE.
--
Michael

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just thrifted these AEs for 5$ but they have seen much better days. Does anyone think it's worth it to send them to AE and see what they can do? The worst cracking is near the front where the natural bend is. The worst overall is behind the right top seam which has about a 1cm tear but isn't extremely noticeable.
http://imgur.com/a/HTDZu

As far as I know, AE is just going to stretch the upper over the original last and resole it--I don't know that they are going to repair tears and such. You may do better taking it to a good shoe repair place and seeing what they can do. Most of the normal wear and tear is easily cleaned up with a good strip down and refinish, but for tears I'm not sure what you can do to fix them.

That said, AE has great customer service, so it's worth an email to ask. Note that their refinishing will cost you north of $100, which is probably more than you want to spend on $5 thrifted shoes.

kayfouroh

Reaction score

Note that their refinishing will cost you north of $100, which is probably more than you want to spend on $5 thrifted shoes.

Well the soles definitely need to be redone so even with the full service 150$ fixing job AE can do, 155$ for AEs, it's still about half off. As far as I can tell (and I am new to both the thrifting game as well as the fancy dress shoe game) that is an easy pill to swallow. If it would cost about 200$ then sure, but even at 150 its not too bad. There are plenty of AE stores by me in NYC so my wife will go swing by and see what they say.

Thanks for the input :)

jesPak

Reaction score
Purchased first Charles Tyrwhitt shirt, which at purchase I'd had them alter the sleeve length. The stitching running down the middle of the yoke (hopefully correctly using the term and describing location) shows some threads - they aren't loose, and I could just clip them, but might this indicate the stitching may start to come apart? Is it worth returning and getting a replacement?

Thanks!

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Purchased first Charles Tyrwhitt shirt, which at purchase I'd had them alter the sleeve length. The stitching running down the middle of the yoke (hopefully correctly using the term and describing location) shows some threads - they aren't loose, and I could just clip them, but might this indicate the stitching may start to come apart? Is it worth returning and getting a replacement? Thanks!
If your not happy with it return it but to me its not a major issue I'd just clip them

jesPak

Reaction score
Thank you dragon8.

Another question fine sirs, being new to this I hadn't even looked at eBay for suits in the past, but in looking through the site for the first time for this purpose, found some retailers (example http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mens-Ke...1?pt=US_CSA_MC_Suits&var=&hash=item9c027c05f7) with a reasonable return policy.

Any glaring issues with that particular suit, just as an example, other than likely needing to have some waist suppression done? The color is a bit off, but just as an example from which to have feedback. To my novice eye I dont see anything terribly wrong, but admittedly I am quite a novice so would be curious as to what more experienced eyes would have to say.

Are there red flags, other than what common sense would suggest (i.e. obviously avoiding those with only few items sold, negative feedback) regarding using ebay for suits?

Thank you

xm8k36d

Reaction score
Got one tough question: Any recommendation for women's high-quality shoes? Goodyear welt ones I mean. I did some research and found very few brands, meermin's women's shoes seem to be good, and cheap enough, but doesn't have small size, and has only 3 styles. JL does make women's shoes but too expensive and troublesome to get. Brooks Brothers Black Fleece seem to have a few welt women's shoes, priced around 500, and don't have sized smaller than 6. Are there brands similar to meermin, and easy to obtain? Thanks!

CoolNickname

Reaction score
This was my first expensive purchase at least for me it was. I'm new at buying better quality shoes so I don't know whether I made a good purchase. I'm a teacher and wear wool dress pants with sweaters in the winter and khakis when it gets warmer. I want to upgrade my shoe collection and buy two more pairs to go with what I wear, but not sure which styles or colors of shoes I should get. I tried on these shoes at Nordstroms and really liked the way they felt and purchased them for $345.00. What do you think? Can they be resoled in the future? I can still return them.

http://www.taigan.com/shops/bobelli...4919-tan-burnished-goatskin-loafer-by-santoni

I purchased these shoes in black before I found out that Kenneth Cole is not very good. I can always sell them on ebay.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...oryID=3151#fn=sp=1&spc=110&ruleId=5&slotId=12

The two shoes above are my newest. I do not own any lace ups and the rest of my shoes are old and unfashionable. I can afford to spend about $300.00 each for my next two pairs. What would you recommend? I plan on visiting Nordstrom The Rack and Neiman Marcus Last Call tomorrow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads