• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

btromano

Reaction score

I thought it was Bijan...
Bijan may be very expensive but the more proper notation should be overpriced. His Suits and Sport Coats are made from D'Avenza, but Bijan just triples their price and tweaks some of the details.

Cucinelli and Loro Piana are up there, but across the board Kiton and Stefano Ricci are I think the most expensive.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could someone help me with ID'ing these items?

First is a gorgeous SC by Carroll and Company (Xenos?) but it's made in England. Any idea who made this?

The second is a SC made by Paul Stuart. Is this the Isaia for Paul Stuart? If not, it says Made in Italy and PS has their stuff made here ...

Last is a pair of shoes. The writing says "Made in ____" then "London , New York, Paris" then "Custom Grade Leather Uppers Leather Soles"

Cheers

ezx3000

Reaction score
I picked up this Kiton tie from Saks, I realized that the interlining stops before the end of the tie, and as the tie is untipped, you can notice where the interlining stops by looking at the front of the tie, is this common? Also I can't seem to find the "made in... ect" tag which I find weird.

JohnnyGalt

Reaction score
Unfortunately lost my wallet last week. Looking to get something new, namely between shell cordovan and alligator. Are there any pros/cons or opinions on the two? I'm looking for something that can carry 5-6 cards but not necessarily any cash, so I'm thinking card case or slim billfold. Really like the patina cordovan develops but gator is always great. Thanks.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately lost my wallet last week. Looking to get something new, namely between shell cordovan and alligator. Are there any pros/cons or opinions on the two? I'm looking for something that can carry 5-6 cards but not necessarily any cash, so I'm thinking card case or slim billfold. Really like the patina cordovan develops but gator is always great. Thanks.
'

Alligator is more fragile, and harder to maintain. That said Alligator wallets are my favorites, although you get what you pay for. The cheaper ones will likely fall apart quickly.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How much should I expect to pay for having breast pockets removed from dress shirts?

Would recommend doing this yourself. Requires more care than skill or knowhow but requires a liberal amount of patience. There are a few threads already discussing how to remove the pocket without damaging the shirt.

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could someone help me with ID'ing these items?
First is a gorgeous SC by Carroll and Company (Xenos?) but it's made in England. Any idea who made this?
The second is a SC made by Paul Stuart. Is this the Isaia for Paul Stuart? If not, it says Made in Italy and PS has their stuff made here ...
Last is a pair of shoes. The writing says "Made in ____" then "London , New York, Paris" then "Custom Grade Leather Uppers Leather Soles"
Cheers

The shoes are Church's:

Last edited:

Pingu

Reaction score
Is it considered rude to not buy a suit after getting help from a sales associate/tailor trying on many suits?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked up this Kiton tie from Saks, I realized that the interlining stops before the end of the tie, and as the tie is untipped, you can notice where the interlining stops by looking at the front of the tie, is this common? Also I can't seem to find the "made in... ect" tag which I find weird.
I have a fair number where the interlining doesn't go all the way down, though most still have a lining in the tip. Not all though- I have a Polo tie that's constructed almost exactly like that. It's also not a grenadine, so you can't see the interlining through the fabric. I presume that that's only really visible with flash...

kyojura

Reaction score
Just picked up my first MTM suit. Super 150s Navy blue. Sorry camera phone pic.

height: 5'8-5'9.
33-34 waist
OTR I usually fit in a 40R slims suits. Sometimes can pull off 38R non slim..

A have a decent V shape/traps from working out aka pullups/deadlifts. The suit fits great everywhere but i'm questioning the shoulder fitment as it looks a bit odd. When I brought it up with the tailor said he gave me a bit more shoulder room because my shoulders are very broad.

Are the shoulders too whack esp. for an MTM full canvas suit?

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Is it considered rude to not buy a suit after getting help from a sales associate/tailor trying on many suits?

Pingu,
Are you shopping at a department store in the States? If so, the salesman may treat you like you have been rude for wasting his time- since they work on commission or at least receive bonus pay for meeting their monthly sales quota.
However, if you didn't find anything that you liked you are in no way obliged to spend your money. As long as you are polite and treat the salesman with respect you have not been rude- rather, you have been discerning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads