• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Ak47

Reaction score
images
Looking for a jacket similar to Jamie Foxx's in Django Unchained.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just picked up my first MTM suit. Super 150s Navy blue. Sorry camera phone pic. height: 5'8-5'9. 33-34 waist OTR I usually fit in a 40R slims suits. Sometimes can pull off 38R non slim.. A have a decent V shape/traps from working out aka pullups/deadlifts. The suit fits great everywhere but i'm questioning the shoulder fitment as it looks a bit odd. When I brought it up with the tailor said he gave me a bit more shoulder room because my shoulders are very broad. Are the shoulders too whack esp. for an MTM full canvas suit?
You should post this in the tailor and alterations thread and get some responses from tailors, but it looks that there are many issues with this suit, however with these poor photos it is hard to tell for sure.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Just picked up my first MTM suit. Super 150s Navy blue. Sorry camera phone pic.

height: 5'8-5'9.
33-34 waist
OTR I usually fit in a 40R slims suits. Sometimes can pull off 38R non slim..

A have a decent V shape/traps from working out aka pullups/deadlifts. The suit fits great everywhere but i'm questioning the shoulder fitment as it looks a bit odd. When I brought it up with the tailor said he gave me a bit more shoulder room because my shoulders are very broad.

Are the shoulders too whack esp. for an MTM full canvas suit?

The shoulders appear to be overly padded and not fit to your shoulders. A touch of Hammertime by the look of it. I'd take it back and ask to have them try again.
If you have big traps from your workouts it could cause the jacket shoulders to appear too large- but if NFL players can be fitted properly, so can you.
If you are paying MTM prices you shouldn't accept OTR fit. If they can't help you maybe seek out a reputable tailor in your area and see if they can get it fitting properly.

Good luck!

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just picked up my first MTM suit. Super 150s Navy blue. Sorry camera phone pic.

height: 5'8-5'9.
33-34 waist
OTR I usually fit in a 40R slims suits. Sometimes can pull off 38R non slim..

A have a decent V shape/traps from working out aka pullups/deadlifts. The suit fits great everywhere but i'm questioning the shoulder fitment as it looks a bit odd. When I brought it up with the tailor said he gave me a bit more shoulder room because my shoulders are very broad.

Are the shoulders too whack esp. for an MTM full canvas suit?
You could take cover from mortar fire under those shoulders.

stgrim

Reaction score
Which cloth do you think is a better value for my bespoke suit in midnight blue? They are only USD 40 apart. First photo is from Dormeuil, then H&S (the folded swatch), and finally VBC.

This will be my only bespoke suit for at least another year. I will probably wear it bi-weekly only. I have 2 other rtw, but ill-fitting, suits in black. I'm in a bit of a rush to get the suit out and haven't had time to read up in depth on fabrics. Just wondering if there was a general consensus which mill was better.

InHocSignio

Reaction score
What do I call, and how do I search for, a rougher, dark, slim wool pant somewhat like these Gap x Ovadia & Sons pants SF member simplerman* is wearing? (IE not Super XX whatevers, I think.) I might want them higher quality than what I read off on Gap's fabric listing, which have too much polyester for my taste. Does anyone have any brands to recommend that sell something this for less than $200 retail?

*(forget his actual username here, but I read his blog)

CoolNickname

Reaction score
What would be an alternative to Allen Edmonds Park Avenue? They hurt my feet. Looking for a black lace up without frilly or ornate details.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What would be an alternative to Allen Edmonds Park Avenue?

The Alden Plain Toe Oxford, maybe. Or Brooks Bros. carries the Peal & Co. Straight Captoe Bluchers.

Of course, if the Park Avenues hurt your feet, are you sure you're wearing the correct size Park Avenues? Maybe, because of the characteristics of the AE Park Avenue's last or something, you simply need to size up half a size in length, or a letter or two in width, for the Park Avenues to fit you comfortably. Just as it's not uncommon for a man to wear, say, a regular length jacket in one line, but need to buy a long length in another, so may you wear, for example, a size 10D shoe in some lines, but a size 10E or even 10.5E, in others.

(I'll add parenthetically that feet can - and often do - change in size and shape over the years. Yet most men figure that if their shoe size was, say, a 10D when they "stopped growing" at age 17, it's still a 10D now, when they're 20 years older. Many men go decades without having their shoe size measured on a Brannock device. I'm not saying that all men act this way, just that lots do. And I can tell you from personal experience that even a single letter difference in shoe width can be the difference between comfortable feet, and sore, aching feet. And that this is especially true with dress shoes - for various reasons, sneakers, moccasins, "casual shoes," etc., are often more forgiving of such things. I wonder whether this isn't one reason why so many men claim to find dress shoes uncomfortable.)
--
Michael

CoolNickname

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions.

I got sized at Nordstroms. Tried 9 and 9 1/2 D with the latter feeling better. They both hurt my toes near the cap toe where the shoe creases as my foot bends when I walk. An Allen Edmonds associate suggested 9 1/2 E.

I'm considering the Vernons which are made with the same last as the Cliftons which I bought in walnut. Would the Vernons still be considered a conservative formal shoe despite its cap toe perfing? I rarely wear suits, and dress mostly in business casual, but I want a shoe that I can't go wrong with when wearing suits.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
What would be an alternative to Allen Edmonds Park Avenue? They hurt my feet. Looking for a black lace up without frilly or ornate details.

I wear a Ferragamo cap toe- not sure if they offer the same model now but they sell the "Fantino" oxford for $495.
Very comfortable and great looking.

AmericanLion

Reaction score
I am looking for a good wingtip oxford or boot(Boot doesn't have to be wingtip but can.) Does anyone have any brands they would suggest or particular models they would suggest? I don't think I am willing to fork out Alden or Allen Edmund prices yet. Still developing the style.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am looking for a good wingtip oxford or boot(Boot doesn't have to be wingtip but can.) Does anyone have any brands they would suggest or particular models they would suggest? I don't think I am willing to fork out Alden or Allen Edmund prices yet. Still developing the style.
I think the lowest price you can really go and still expect to have something that could possibly last you a while is Meermin. They're not big on boots, but have some very attractive wingtips.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads