• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

AmericanLion

Reaction score
Anyone know what size I would wear in a Brooks and Brothers sport shirt if I am a 16 neck 33/34 arm? I looked at their fit guide but it didn't really tell me anything as far as relating to actual measurements on the sports shirts. Extra Slim fit btw!

Sahadoha

Reaction score
Timberland makes a Chukka boot- around $100. Go to Zappos and type in chukka and there are about 10-15 good boots there by Clarks, Sperry, Timberland and other less expensive brands. Unfortunately $100 shoes will only last you about 1 year.
I've looked through shoes.com, zappos, onlineshoes, the list goes on, not really any shoe i am interested in thus far except for one suede brown Chukka. Every other one just doesn't cut it for me.
And I'm not too sure how you guys wear your stuff, how often, in what weather, etc etc but I have shoes under $100 that has lasted me years and i can continue to wear. I rotate my shoes, don't wear certain shoes in certain weather conditions and the such.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

However, as Left Hand correctly notes, vintage Florsheim - and by "vintage," I mean their American made shoes of decades ago - are often at least as good any non-custom shoe currently on the market. An Imperial or Royal Imperial Florsheim from that era could put most of Allen Edmonds or Alden's offerings to shame.

I wouldn't limit it to Imperials. I have pairs of both royal imperials and mainline Florshiem, and the mainline Florsheim still comes in above AE and Alden.

And what killed them wasn't their distribution model- it was the broader trend towards cheaper and more casual clothes. Yeah, their model struggled to keep up, but they made their bones on being a readily available top quality men's shoe in a time where the vast majority of men would be buying at least one or two pairs of high quality shoes, and when those who worked in professional settings were wearing coat and tie every day. Business casual, by just flat out reducing demand for dress shoes, and thus nice dress shoes, across the board, forced them to lower their quality drastically to complete on price once the appreciation for quality dried up. Same route Johnston & Murphy took, though they were never at quite the heights of quality. But J&M was up there with AE and Alden once upon a time. Hanover was another, but they wound up dying rather than dropping their quality too much.

Last edited:

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the rule on a fit of a rain coat? Must the waist be pinched like in a suit or very wide? I bought a rain coat and it's very well-fitting in the shoulders and chest, but very loose in the waist. Should I alter it? Return it? Or keep it as it is and just tie it up with a belt? Thanks!

Alex87

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

maybe this is already posted, but anyway I wanted to ask.

Lately, I've been reading about face shapes and hairstyles for different shapes a lot, but still I'm in doubts. So, I've visited like 100s of websites and still cant figure out what is my face shape.

So, maybe this will help to someone who's asking the same question but will have more luck than me :)

Here are some links which I found and I think are pretty nicely explained:

http://thebeautydepartment.com/2012/11/finding-your-face-shape/

http://www.hisstylediary.com/2012/01/09/the-right-hairstyle-for-your-face-shape/

http://beauty.about.com/od/bestcutsbyfaceshap1/ss/Are-You-Round-Square-Long-Heart-Or-Oval.htm

http://menshair.about.com/od/haircaretips/a/faceshapes.htm

So, by first URL I do believe that I have Diamond face shape, but by second one I do believe that its maybe heart or oval!? I'm really curious about this, and I would go to the professional hairstyler but I live in really small place and even miles around I can't find one which is professional and not just some barber with some "self learned knowledge".

Sorry for my English and typos, English is not my native language but I believe that you'll understand me :)

Here is my picture so please HELP! :)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fine. The belt is there so you can cinch it if you want to.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the rule on a fit of a rain coat? Must the waist be pinched like in a suit

The waist of a suit need not be pinched. Just had to mention that.

Your raincoat fits okay. As a practical matter, I might prefer it were it a little longer (to protect my legs from the rain), but there's nothing particularly wrong with how it fits. Like cptjeff said, you can always belt it. If you don't intend to use the belt, but you still want it on the raincoat, you might want to sort of do it up, in back. Rather than just letting it hang.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's fine. The belt is there so you can cinch it if you want to.

The waist of a suit need not be pinched. Just had to mention that.
Your raincoat fits okay. As a practical matter, I might prefer it were it a little longer (to protect my legs from the rain), but there's nothing particularly wrong with how it fits. Like cptjeff said, you can always belt it. If you don't intend to use the belt, but you still want it on the raincoat, you might want to sort of do it up, in back. Rather than just letting it hang.

Yeah, but if I clinch the belt, then it looks really weird. That's why I thought I should alter it. Notice how the back sticks out like I have a tail growing out of my bum.

Last edited:

Reicharm

Reaction score
Hello all,
I was recently given this blazer as a gift. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=85424&vid=1&pid=428220002 of course I didn't get the trousers with it. At the same time I got http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=34724&vid=1&pid=762497012, can I par the two together with a solid grey shirt and shoes close to what is pictured?

My only other option is khakis and a pair of tan sperrys oxfords. I would like to wear the blazer if it works with either of those two. If you have a different shirt suggestion let me know. I appreciate any advise provided

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but if I clinch the belt, then it looks really weird. That's why I thought I should alter it. Notice how the back sticks out like I have a tail growing out of my bum.
it does appear like butt implants!
you should fix that

Left Hand

Reaction score
Yeah, that looks really weird.

OT but - Where are those pants from, acecow? I'm looking for a pair that color but the best ones I can find are the RRL chinos - I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The pants are from H&M. Around $20-30 I believe. I saw something similar there a few weeks ago, check it out. As a word of advice, their sizing is all over the place, so try at least 3 in your approximate size to choose the best fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads