1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. donkosala

donkosala New Member

Thanks guys. White shirt it is. gonna buy one tomorrow morning. [​IMG]

2. jmaudi0

jmaudi0 Senior member

...the CM side...::shiver:: hahaha. this is one of the first times i've ventured over from SW&D so bare with me please.

I'm getting married in October and need to get a light grey 3 piece suit. I don't know a ton about suiting as my office is very casual...chinos and a button down suffice 95% of the time. I am going back and forth between purchasing a RTW suit and having it altered or going the M2M route. I have a navy suit that fits me very well from Hugo Boss (nothing special but it has served me well). It has a nice slim/modern fit and I'm looking for the same for the suit for my wedding. I know full canvas is preferred over half-canvas...but I'm trying to keep the price under $1000 if possible.

I live in Maryland...north of Baltimore... so if I go m2m it would be preferable if the company is relatively local...at least I'd think so. Right now if I go the M2M route I'm considering:

Epaulet - NYC....not close
    Wolf vs. Goat (I am a loyalty member) - about 1 hour away. their suits are made by Oxxford Clothiers in Chicago (i think).
    Kent Wang - not close
    a local Baltimore company called JBD Clothiers

Does anybody have recommendations based on any of those brands? What other m2m brands should I consider? What about a very nice RTW suit that I can get altered?? I know EP and WvG are extremely popular over on the SWD side but I figured I'd start over here. I will be emailing/calling both of those companies this weekend. Just trying to get the ball rolling early.

Thanks gents.

3. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Kent Wang has done a good job for a lot of people here remotely--he sends you a sample suit, you take pictures of how it fits, he adjusts based on that. Worth investigating at the least.

4. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Two button holes with a glorified cuff link between them.

If you go over to the black tie thread I will post pics of one of mine.

J

5. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

Brown shoes are hardly ideal with charcoal suit. Black shoes are a much better choice with charcoal. Medium grey works well brown, bit not charcoal. If you don't have black I at least hope they're very dark brown.

As for suspenders a mid to dark grey is probably your best choice for versatility.

6. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

Yes, cufflink type. This is very much acceptable closure for black tie I'd say, as is a normal suit closure as long as buttons are silk covered.

7. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

I think brown can work fine, especially if you want to wear a charcoal suit in a less formal way. My 72yo father would disagree, he was raised by his grandfather and was particularly old-school about black shoes with suits.

Here's another mans take on it:

"If a man must limit himself to only one pair of shoes for city wear, then they should be black. If two, then a brown pair of darkest chocolate color are useful with almost all suits and, if he has no moccasins, even with grey flannels." Carey Grant, GQ 1967

8. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Both kinds exist. My morning coat (ca. 1930's) has a cord, and second button at the end of it. Originally, it was a separate coat link, but fake ones, if you like, have been around a very long time as well.

9. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Question about bespoke shoes.

Wedding shoe uppers arrived today. First fitting needs to by done by Skype since I'm out of town. The leather is nice and soft and certainly much better than my worst nightmares were beginning to manifest. They don't look very dress shoe-ish though . Is that a trait of having no sole or a shine yet?

My fiancee pointed out they look more like high end sneakers at the moment. Should I bring this up with the shoe guy when i have the fitting? or is this a normal look for a half made shoe?

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Perfectly normal for a half made shoe. He's not gonna spend time putting a nice finish on them until he knows they're going to fit, and he can't put the sole on until the fit is finalized.

11. Bungle

Bungle Member

I do have black shoes as well as a grey suit. I just recently bought a pair of dark brown shoes and have never worn brown shoes with a suit before. Thanks for the help!

12. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I'm trying to buy a pair of shoes for me fiancé and this is the one they arrived at: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/5712.php

It is however, corrected grain, so I want to get something better for them, but I can't find anything of this style and color except a shell cordovan pair from C&J which is somewhat beyond the pricerange I am looking for. Does anyone have suggestions? I think they don't mind too much that it's CG, so I might just end up getting it for them, I mean they probably aren't too bad anyway?

I have to be honest, I think it looks pretty good, but of course I'd like it to last.

13. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

how is this pair for the snow? I've been skating on my leather soles the past few days since it has been snowing in where I reside. Boots are probably not an option. You think the leather sole will help?

http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1955

14. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Taking your suit jacket off when you get in the car, yea or nay?

J

15. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

Price being equal, Meermin or Lodger shoes?

16. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Jacket off while driving.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  17. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

Edited - Leaving it for now.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  18. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I never do.

19. TM79

TM79 Senior member

+1 I hang it in the back so I don't have the seatbelt pressing into it

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

Three reasons not to get it:

1. The corrected grain, as you said. Not the end of the world, but there are cheaper shoes with this kind of leather. You can do better for the money.

2. They are cemented. Glued together. That means rubbish. I can't believe glued shoes cost this much. Again, you can get more for less.

3. What are they for? The two reasons above mean they won't last well enough to justify the price, but I'm also wondering what the use was: they are a derby (open lacing), so a more casual shoe, and you didn't say which colour it was you had in mind. Give us a clue. Barker, and indeed Pediwear, have many shoes in the price range. We can help, but tell us the purpose. :)

1 person likes this.