1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

Any comments welcome on the style of this sportcoat for a late 30's guy? I am always worried about lapel size and gorge height and shoulder padding. The material texture is hard to see. The brand is Samuelsohn and it is Super 110s wool

This would be a basic blue blazer of the rare occasions I might need one which is not often so I am trying to thrift one. I think I would replace the gold buttons with brown horn.

Last thing is the shoulders apparently measure 20 " across. I usually wear 19-19.5" so I am not sure if this is a big issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

3. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

They are listed on the T.K. Maxx website, at a heavy discount.

I could probably add them to my rotation, for slightly more formal wear on the odd day. And there's currently no delivery cost either, so little risk in ordering to see their construction.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  4. seanbmc

seanbmc New Member

Jacket shoulder sizing: I am having lots of trouble finding a jacket that fits well in the shoulders. My chest/belly wants a 42-44, but the shoulders seem to hang slightly. I found an old suit jacket in my closet and tried it on, I was surprised it not only still fits, but it is a 41R. The shoulders measure at 19.5 inches, where most of the 42-44 I find measure 20.

This leads me to two questions.
    How much can most OTR jackets be taken out? Does it just depend on brand? Anyway to find out before purchasing?

Any suggestions for a brand with a 42/43 that has a slimmer 19.5 in shoulder width?

I do not live near many stores to try lots on, so ive been ordering online and returning. Thanks!

Sean

5. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

Sorry I can't give you specific recommendations but really any trendier maker is going to have slimmer shoulders in my experience. I am a 42 and often in the trendier brands they make my chest size but inexplicably have very slim shoulders (too much for me, not sure who is built this way). I am 19.5" in fact so pretty average for my chest measurement. I have had luck with the Brooks Brothers Fitz fit being moderate in styling. A Suit Supply suit also worked for me at 42.

6. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Yeah... 19.5 seems to be pretty standard for 42 chest, I believe. I'm a 40R so I think my shoulders are more like 18.5/18.75

I don't recommend making chest alterations into a habit ... they can be costly and can also get screwed up.

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I think slim fit would be too tight in the chest, but maybe sizing up in a slim fit could help. You might just have to measure shoulders when jacket shopping. The measurements are variable by not only the maker but also the model/style of jacket.

If you're ordering online, you should check the shoulder measurements. Measure a jacket that fits you well and compare measurements to that for best effect.

8. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

I am looking at a Sportcoat to thrift that is listed a 20" across the shoulders. It is a lightly padded Samuelsohn.

I measure 19.5" by a tailor and in trendier cuts I have SCs which measure 19" across the shoulders

Will this be a problem for the fit?

Also:

I am trying to figure out the brand Samuelsohn. It seems much is MTM but they also have OTR? What type of fit in general are they known for?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  9. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

To answer my own questions...

1. Really, really easy.

2. No.

10. Spaceman Spliff

Spaceman Spliff Active Member

random question:
    i'll be vacationing in brazil (rio) and argentina (buenos aires) in february. is there anything cool/unique that's fashion-related that i could pick up as a souvenir there? or even something that'd be way cheaper in those countries?

11. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

A good bathing suit, linen pants, linen jacket. I lived in Rio for a couple of years, you're going to love it. But don't wear any jewelry, and keep very little cash on you. 50 reais maximum.

12. Bungle

Bungle Member

So if I'm wearing a charcoal suit with brown shoes and beltless trousers, what colour suspenders would be best? I only have a black pair of the clip-on type at the moment so I'd like to invest in some proper button on suspenders. Thank you in advance!

13. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

Whatever color you want, no one will see them anyway ;) Some people like to match the leather ends to the color of their shoes though.

14. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

I'd agree about the leather color.

If this is your first pair you might want to go for a classic/basic color. I always suggest starting with the most basic items (ties, squares, socks, etc) and then add the more advanced stuff later. But I'm pretty old-school.

Here's a good site for browsing suspenders.
    http://www.albertthurston.com/categoryfast2.cfm?catid=27

15. Extra Full Blue

Extra Full Blue Member

So what actually is going on with link closures on dinner jackets, e.g.
    http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Tuxedos/AAAC_vintage1_crop.jpg
    http://davidreevesbespoke.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/dinner-suit-sans-vest.jpg
    http://cdn.styleforum.net/0/06/900x900px-LL-0647910c_linkbutton.jpeg

Is it functional button holes on both sides of the jacket, closed by non-attached buttons connected by a cord like quasi-cufflinks, or is there a button sewn on the right side of the jacket as normal, and a second button linked by a cord to close the functional button hole. If the latter, what is one meant to do while wearing the jacket open? Let the button dangle? Tuck it into something?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  16. donkosala

donkosala New Member

I have to participate in a wedding party tomorrow night. I'm in my late 20s 6 2' and bit over weight. I have 3 shirts in plain colours Black, Pink, and Grey. which should I wear? Should I wear a tie as well? I plan to wear a blazer as well. Need immediate advice. Thanks in advance.

17. Shawl Lapel

What's the dress code for the wedding?

18. donkosala

donkosala New Member

Semi-Formal

19. Shawl Lapel

Which in the truest sense of the word would mean black tie, but that sounds like sportcoat territory if not a suit. Are you participating as in, you're in the wedding party? Blazer (I'm assuming blue) and what else? I'd be running to the mall to find a white shirt instead of wearing black, pink, or grey.

20. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Go out and buy a white or very pale blue shirt, and wear a tie with it.

1 person likes this.