• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

AmericanLion

Reaction score
Looking at Club Monaco...according to their measurements I would be a small in their slim fit. I have a 41' chest. Is this right or am I misreading something? Is that the way CM sizes?

EDIT: Anyone wear Ben Sherman that can attest to their quality?

Last edited:

stgrim

Reaction score
Which cloth do you think is a better value for my bespoke suit in midnight blue? They are only USD 40 apart. First photo is from Dormeuil, then H&S (the folded swatch), and finally VBC.

This will be my only bespoke suit for at least another year. I will probably wear it bi-weekly only. I have 2 other rtw, but ill-fitting, suits in black. I'm in a bit of a rush to get the suit out and haven't had time to read up in depth on fabrics. Just wondering if there was a general consensus which mill was better.

Repost cos I think it was missed!

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys use for an iron? Please don't show me some balling ass irons that cost $200.. I thought it would be cool to use a vintage steel one, bought it off ebay for $8. I've been using it but it's super harsh on my clothes and doesn't iron out some creases. I need a decent iron and good technique to use it.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, but if I clinch the belt, then it looks really weird. That's why I thought I should alter it. Notice how the back sticks out like I have a tail growing out of my bum.

Might be a good idea to either not use the belt, or at least not cinch it so snugly.

Can't say that I've ever had this problem with a raincoat, but as I've already mentioned, I prefer my raincoats to be somewhat longer than yours. The added length greatly minimizes the potential for such tail-growing problems.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you guys use for an iron? Please don't show me some balling ass irons that cost $200.. I thought it would be cool to use a vintage steel one, bought it off ebay for $8. I've been using it but it's super harsh on my clothes and doesn't iron out some creases. I need a decent iron and good technique to use it.

I've got a nice Rowenta one. Make sure to get the Made in Germany ones. Cost around $90 I believe? I definitely think you should buy quality here if you spend any decent amount of time ironing. I do all of my ironing, mostly because I am OCD about how I want my shirts pressed, and realized very quickly that buying a decent iron made my life much easier.

Irons are a lot like cookwear--you want something heavy. A light iron won't hold enough heat to do an effective job. You also want it to be able to get sufficiently hot, and more importantly, to be able to produce lots of steam for a long time. If it only makes a couple of puffs before it has to reheat, that's no good.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've got a nice Rowenta one. Make sure to get the Made in Germany ones. Cost around $90 I believe? I definitely think you should buy quality here if you spend any decent amount of time ironing. I do all of my ironing, mostly because I am OCD about how I want my shirts pressed, and realized very quickly that buying a decent iron made my life much easier.
Irons are a lot like cookwear--you want something heavy. A light iron won't hold enough heat to do an effective job. You also want it to be able to get sufficiently hot, and more importantly, to be able to produce lots of steam for a long time. If it only makes a couple of puffs before it has to reheat, that's no good.

Gotcha. I think steam is an integral thing that I'm missing with this vintage iron, which is also why it is so harsh on my clothes.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gotcha. I think steam is an integral thing that I'm missing with this vintage iron, which is also why it is so harsh on my clothes.

Careful, you don't want to overly steam a structured garment, like a suit--you'll get rid of all the shape. But yeah, for cotton, steam is absolutely essential. Makes life much easier.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you guys use for an iron?

I wonder whether a discussion of clothes irons mightn't be better served by a thread of its own, rather than inclusion in this thread...

Anyway, I use a Rowenta DW-8090. I'm satisfied with it.

I recall contributing to a discussion over on another site, within the past year, regarding irons. Let me see if I can dig up a link...

Found it. It was "What to look for in a clothes iron," and it's at http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?115695-What-to-look-for-in-a-clothes-iron . In my post there, I provided links to multiple other threads about which iron to buy - several of which are, in my opinion, superior to the originating thread itself. Anyway, might be of some value to you.
--
Michael

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wonder whether a discussion of clothes irons mightn't be better served by a thread of its own, rather than inclusion in this thread...
Anyway, I use a Rowenta DW-8090. I'm satisfied with it.
I recall contributing to a discussion over on another site, within the past year, regarding irons. Let me see if I can dig up a link...
Found it. It was "What to look for in a clothes iron," and it's at http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?115695-What-to-look-for-in-a-clothes-iron . In my post there, I provided links to multiple other threads about which iron to buy - several of which are, in my opinion, superior to the originating thread itself. Anyway, might be of some value to you.
--
Michael

That's a great, thread, lots of good info in there.

I do love my Rowenta. Good and heavy, makes life so, so much easier. I couldn't believe how much easier it made things when I first got it.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 to Germany made Rowenta. Also shell out a $100 for the most expensive ironing board from BB&B and you'll be one happy "ironer".

Last edited:

masaccio

Reaction score
(I'll add parenthetically that feet can - and often do - change in size and shape over the years. Yet most men figure that if their shoe size was, say, a 10D when they "stopped growing" at age 17, it's still a 10D now, when they're 20 years older. Many men go decades without having their shoe size measured on a Brannock device. I'm not saying that all men act this way, just that lots do. And I can tell you from personal experience that even a single letter difference in shoe width can be the difference between comfortable feet, and sore, aching feet. And that this is especially true with dress shoes - for various reasons, sneakers, moccasins, "casual shoes," etc., are often more forgiving of such things. I wonder whether this isn't one reason why so many men claim to find dress shoes uncomfortable.)
--
Michael
+1

I spent 15 years of my adult life wearing and buying size 8.5, because that's what I wore when my I "stopped growing" in high school. It took the development of a Morton's neuroma in my left foot to get me into a Brannock device. I'm a size 9.5D in my left foot now (9D in the right), and the ill-fitting shoes I'd worn over the past fifteen years gave me a nice little long-term foot problem. Now SF is helping me build a decent shoe wardrobe in shoes that actually fit.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
I've been in the military for 15 years now and I can tell you I iron more than most people! I have used $800 professional irons and $300 wireless Japanese models that pack up to look like a pink toaster, but for the money you can't beat a good German Rowenta.

I had a Chinese-made Rowenta that died after about 1 year- I should have bought the German-made one the first time. So I bought the better made in Germany iron and after a year it has been fantastic. One nice thing- I sent the old broken iron back and Rowenta sent me a brand new one.

Last edited:

nekromantik

Reaction score
Hi people!

Hope everyone had a good Xmas and New years!

I bought a Alexander Mcqueen McQ casual shirt today that I been wanting for ages but one size bigger. Usually I am size small but some items can be a little too small for me so I thought I might as well try one size bigger as it did say its Italian size so its inbetween Small and Medium.

Here is the shirt I bought: http://images.sereneorder.com/images/products/zoom/1303920029-86154700.jpg

The sides are shorter and the hem seems to curve into longer towards the middle.

Just got 3 questions for you people.

1. Is this meant to be worn tucked in or out? If out then is it too long if it reaches middle of my thighs? Its about inch longer then my Desigual shirt.
2. If its too long, can it be made shorter by a inch without ruing it?
3. Does the rest of it look ok apart from length?

Here is a really bad quality webcam picture of me wearing it, can hardly see it so I apologize in advance.

http://imgur.com/PVENh

Thank You!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads