• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fits like a glove ... but ... it fits like a suit coat that comes to just above the knee.  There is no way I could ever wear this coat over another jacket or a bulky sweater ...

A topcoat isn't supposed to fit like a glove. You're supposed to be able to wear a sportcoat, a suit, or a sweater under your topcoat.

You're right; it's too small.

Could be that the Belvest topcoats just run small. Could be that you've put on a few pounds, although you'd probably be aware of that (since your other clothes would be a little tight). Whatever the explanation, it was nice of your wife to buy you a new topcoat, even if it doesn't quite fit. You let her know that, okay?

Admittedly, as someone who prefers traditional fit to the currently fashionable close/slim fit, I'm out of sync with most of the folks where on SF. Granted. But I'm not backing down from my position that with vanishingly few exceptions, a man should be able to wear a suit under his topcoat. Same way that if you can't button the collar button on your dress shirt, your shirt collar's too small. Or if you can't comfortably sit in your pants, your pants are too small.

I mean, I'm willing to be open-minded, but at some point I've got to draw the line.
--
Michael

mhdena

Reaction score

Fashion comes and goes man. Do you want a real trench coat or some trendy thing? And why are you so set on Burberry then if that's the case? Are you a brand whore? Look somewhere else for a trench coat if you can't find a decent length one in your price range from Burberry.
Sorry, but that just seems so feminine.

90% of the clothes in ads are examples of the "feminization of mens clothing" from skinny jeans to suit jackets that barely cover the belt, to fitted top coats that look like womens coats.

Amazingly these ads seem to work quite well for 20 somethings.

DJosef

Reaction score

Admittedly, as someone who prefers traditional fit to the currently fashionable close/slim fit, I'm out of sync with most of the folks where on SF. Granted. But I'm not backing down from my position that with vanishingly few exceptions, a man should be able to wear a suit under his topcoat. Same way that if you can't button the collar button on your dress shirt, your shirt collar's too small. Or if you can't comfortably sit in your pants, your pants are too small.
I mean, I'm willing to be open-minded, but at some point I've got to draw the line.
--
Michael

Well yes. Topcoats were made to be worn over suits. ;) I doubt "feminization" or fashion has anything to do with this, anything that doesn't fit over a suit is simply not a topcoat. Maybe in 2112, businessmen will wear blouses and women's jackets, but even so, a topcoat would have to fit over those. XD

EFBenson

Reaction score
I foolishly sat on my tweed cap while in a restaurant for a Christmas lunch lasting several hours.

It is now severely creased.

Any ideas how get these creases out? I made an attempt to iron them out, but this was ineffective.

Dark Knot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm planning on stepping up my dress attire at work by adding a tie. I have few nice suits navy, black and charcoal gray and two pairs of Allen Edmonds PA in brown and black.
What color ties would go with these shirts? Also solid right as they're all patterned? any help would be greatly appreciated!
2j2t954.jpg

2ldf6rq.jpg

295uz50.jpg

20jfcxz.jpg
For the first shirt I would go with a solid blue as it contrasts with the orange. For the next three I would go with a solid burgundy. You can do striped ties as well for these, but make sure the stripes are widely spaced, as the spacing on the checks is quite narrow, and so the contrast would look good (and only if the suit is a solid). Patterned suit with patterned shirts and patterned ties can be overkill. When in doubt, refer to a color wheel - you can find one on Google Images, and pick colors that are diagonally across from each other on the color wheel or the colors that form an equilateral triangle with the color that you are looking to match with.

yossi

Reaction score
When divesting yourself of clothes, is there a good rule of thumb for selling on eBay yourself/consigning to an experienced eBay seller/selling here on B&S?

I have some stuff to get rid of - not a ton, maybe 20-30 pieces all told. The quality and desirability are all over the map (everything from a barely-worn RLPL suit and NWT LVC 501s to some middle-of-the-road Italian shirts to some decent but unexceptional Muji stuff).

Forgive me if this has been answered. I did some searches but didn't find anything.

jayw

Reaction score
Just a quick question, do you guys think this looks okay?? wearing brown dress shoes same color as belt

DJosef

Reaction score
I scored some sweet light brown chelsea boots today, and I'm wondering what kind of clothes I should wear them with... I'm thinking of my grey tweed sports coat with odd trousers. What about dressing down a navy suit with them? Do you think it would work out well? :)

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can some give me some websites or videos on how to tie a tie with a dimple? Looking at a 4 in hand knot probably. Preferably some easy guide as I don't know how to tie a tie at all right now :embar:.

Last edited:

Tom NYC

Reaction score
Quote:
I guess I was considering the idea that perhaps it's not meant to be a topcoat - there is no lining - it's constructed like a light weight suit jacket that just happens to come down to the top of my knee.

Regardless - it will be going back ... sadly, as it was the last of the lot.

Left Hand

Reaction score

They're just ordinary shoe trees, Left Hand. Made by Woodlore, if memory serves, and pretty much the same as the trees Allen Edmonds sells on its website. There's nothing uniquely wonderful or awful about them.
I suppose if you jammed a large shoe tree into a relatively small shoe, the tree might stretch out the shoe. But that's likely true no matter what the make of shoe tree; it's not as if it's purely a JAB thing.

Ok, thanks a lot Michael. I just wanted to make sure.

FranSuitman

Reaction score

Can some give me some websites or videos on how to tie a tie with a dimple? Looking at a 4 in hand knot probably. Preferably some easy guide as I don't know how to tie a tie at all right now :embar:.

Version for beginners.

Natural way to do it. It needs practice or to have a lucky day.

I hope this helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads