1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Even a broken clock...

On the note of obenauf's. I'd argue that danite soles aren't super formal. If you get boots with them you can probably treat them without worrying too much. Dark brown or black are probably best though. Honestly, you can't win. If the shoes are built for the elements, they're not going to be dainty. It's a catch 22.

2. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I have a really nice black one, but I was looking along the lines of something more waterproof. You can wear anything in the snow, and just brush it off, it is that miserable rainy, cold, slushy, northeastern crap we get when it is 32-45 out.

Also during the spring/summer when we get those soakers. I have a white squall jacket, and a few others that aren't too bad, but spring/summer rainy day wear always kind of flummoxes me.

J

3. ridethecliche

Honestly, I struggle with that sometimes too as I'm in boston. Somedays an umbrella is best for dealing with that crap.

There are some days that you really can't do anything to keep your outer layer dry and those days the best you can hope to do is for your outerwear to keep you warm and dry. I think duffle's do that. Unless you want to wear a ski jacket...

4. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Glad I'm not the only one. In the fall, I can wear my oilcloth duster, and a hat even if I have to ignore the random shouts of "Cover your heart Indy" and "Hey, look! It's the Marlboro man."

Oh well, I guess it doesn't exist. Not like anyone is going to fault me for layering up in Gore-Tex if it is particularly miserable, I'd just love a solution that wasn't quite as modern.

J

1 person likes this.
  5. ridethecliche

On some days, outerwear looks go to shit in favor of staying warm and dry. For those 14 days of the year in the northeast, I can live with it. I'll wear my ski jacket to work over an odd SC if the alternative is getting soaked and being miserable. Such is the burden of riding public transportation, but so it goes.

The only other thing I can think of is a trench/duster over a puffer jacket, but then you're in the same place...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  6. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I have a couple of LL Bean barn coats, thinking about treating one of them with a waterproofing stuff, then I could wear an ocbd, sweater, layering vest, tweed SC or hacking jacket, and the waterproofed barn coat, and have a temperature controllable by adding or removing layers, quasi-waterproof getup.

J

7. ridethecliche

Yeah. I'm not saying leather is right for that, but I'd be tempted to try obenauf'ing a leather jacket!

I have enough of that stuff to last decades.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  8. Hardep Singh

Hardep Singh Active Member

Does anyone know how wide are isaia napoli lapels on Base S model 2 button?

9. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

A Mac coat and an umbrella is all you need.
    http://www.gq.com/how-to/fashion/201004/how-to-stay-dry-gq-guide-to-dressing-for-rain#slide=1

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  10. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

11. gringodaddy

Kent Wang makes a good looking cotton trench in navy for warmer weather.

12. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Thanks for all the replies, gonna poke around for a mac jacket too.

J

13. gringodaddy

14. gringodaddy

15. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Seems very expensive for what it is...

16. leeda111

leeda111 New Member

Shoe Newbie Alert! I would be very grateful for members advice and recommendation regarding the basic work shoes. I am looking for black oxfords/loafers for work which can take decent amount of wear and tear around 200-300sh USD(flexible).

Unfortunately as much as I would like to I cant own more than a couple. I have to travel a lot for work(IT) and basically living in 2 suitcases so I cant own 4-5 pairs(2 max). I read a lot about AE but want a little more stylish than that. Magnanni and To boot wont do the trick.

I did liked a Meermin(online) but I cant find them in Charlotte NC and I am not sure about blind buy online.

I will appreciate any help/advice/recommendations/links.

Thanks

Happy New Year.

17. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

This. Idk, seems like something you can get at any department store locally for much much cheaper. Hell I could thrift that for $5 I bet.

18. gringodaddy

^^ Yeah could be. I found the site reading an article touting their high quality. Like Roger above, warm weather rain gear flummoxes me.

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Honestly, if you want boots that you can wear into an office in bad weather and don't want them to look causal (like chromexcel, or rough out leather and such) the best thing to get is scotch grain boots. It shines up well and because of the process of getting the grain stamped onto the leather it seals the pores a bit and makes it more waterproof than regular smooth calf. Also, the grain makes water spots less noticeable. You can go the corrected grain route too. Church makes some nice boots, or you could get some MTO Church's in polished binder with lug soles for the winter, their polished binder leather is like a tank against the elements. It is great quality leather, just corrected and polished for the look and durability essentially.

20. gringodaddy

I'd like to buy a good pair of chukka's on a danite sole, but on a day like today, I could give a shit about how I look heading into work, it's more about staying warm and dry. Also, my office is hotter than hell, so I shed my boots and change into shoes that I keep here for such contingencies.

1 person likes this.