• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

masaccio

Reaction score

I foolishly sat on my tweed cap while in a restaurant for a Christmas lunch lasting several hours.
It is now severely creased.
Any ideas how get these creases out? I made an attempt to iron them out, but this was ineffective.

Maybe try to steam it?

indianshaft

Reaction score
Looks like a crew neck shirt and shawl collar cardigan sweater.

ryim3046

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I ran across this forum just now while searching for what a perfect shoe fit entails.

I just graduated college a few months ago started a new job as an analyst a couple weeks ago. Long story short, I bought two pair of shoes that were on sale, Madden Oxfords and Madden Loafers (cheap I know) to wear until I get my expenses and such figured out within the next or two.. then I will buy a nice pair like you all (AE's are very nice).

I attached two pictures of the loafers (worn for a week) and oxfords (haven't worn yet).

The first picture is where the creases occur and I have about an inch from the end of toes to the tip. Are the creases suppose to fold there even though the quality is very cheap? The shoes are extremely comfortable but I think they might be a 1/2in too long.

The second picture where my finger is pointing is where my toe ends and the 2nd red line below is where my toe knuckles are...

Sorry for the long post but the creases in the first picture are getting on my nerves even though they are inevitable. I learned a lot while I surfed tonight on how to take care of shoes and what not (cedar shoes!).

I too will start collecting shoes as well. It's time to collect big boy stuff!

Thanks in advance!

Serious101

Reaction score
http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=12310
It is somewhat similar to the BB#4:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/BB#4-Repp-Tie/A241,default,pd.html

But is it still a little too bright?

I hear solid light blue is not quite 100% conservative, and TheTieBar did not appear to have any conservative Gray ties (another recommendation I read).

Is this one good? It is really hard for me to tell how a tie is going to look until I have it in person without camera / monitor distortion and have it tied on me lol.

I cannot afford anything too expensive, and I was looking for conservative alternatives to the Burgundy (already have one) for a solid navy blue interview suit.

dreamhope

Reaction score
Apparently, I'm not allowed to start new threads any more. So here's the thing:

Are this guy's items all fake?

This is the guy: http://www.ebay.com/sch/caffeteo/m....h=item35c2aea175&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I'm guessing his Borrelli jeans are all fake.

His Kiton suits appear to be canvassed, but I think I see at least one buttonhole that's not handmade.

How do you think?

I wanted to open a poll but something's happened to my account.

dreamhope

Reaction score
my post still hasn't been approved, but I think I'm more confident now that this guy's Kiton's and Borrelli's are fakes.

For the jackets, I'd expect 'Kiton' all over the lining and, when it's 200s, a tag that says 13 micron.

I'm also not sure the construction is Neapolitan.

weird: this one does need approval? because no link?

anyway, the guy is on ebay; check him out: caffeteo

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The first picture is where the creases occur and I have about an inch from the end of toes to the tip. Are the creases suppose to fold there even though the quality is very cheap? The shoes are extremely comfortable but I think they might be a 1/2in too long.

The second picture where my finger is pointing is where my toe ends and the 2nd red line below is where my toe knuckles are...

Sorry for the long post but the creases in the first picture are getting on my nerves even though they are inevitable. I learned a lot while I surfed tonight on how to take care of shoes and what not (cedar shoes!).

I too will start collecting shoes as well. It's time to collect big boy stuff!

Thanks in advance!

That's what happens with these square toed things, the toe box is usually much longer than your foot and it has to flex somewhere.

deadAngle

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't worry about creases in your shoes as long as the rest is shined properly. It's true that the creases on your square-toed shoes there are a little oddly placed, but you shouldn't worry too much about them. Deep creases are signs of an active wearer, and are akin to battle scars on an antique bayonet. Wear your heavily creased shoes with pride.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's what happens with these square toed things, the toe box is usually much longer than your foot and it has to flex somewhere.
They also look like they might be corrected grain. If they weren't they would likely still crease in the same places, but the creases wouldn't look as bad since they wouldn't have that horrible plastic-like look to them.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But is it still a little too bright?

I don't think so.

TheTieBar did not appear to have any conservative Gray ties (another recommendation I read).
The Tie Bar carries many conservative grey ties. I think they're color categorized as "silver." And may be listed as "traditional," rather than "conservative," in the "By Style" drop-down menu.

Is this one good?
It doesn't do anything for me (I just don't much care for the powder blue stripes), but I wouldn't call it fundamentally horrible. If you like it, go ahead and buy it. Nothing inherently wrong with a twill in those shades.

I'd probably rather go for the very similar Classic Twill - Navy/Light Champagne (sku #12302), than for the tie you listed (Classic Twill - Navy/Powder, sku #12310), simply because the powder blue doesn't really appeal to me all that much, and I'd prefer bringing in a subdued second color (light champagne) to pairing a blue and blue tie with a blue suit. But that's just me.

I cannot afford anything too expensive, and I was looking for conservative alternatives to the Burgundy (already have one) for a solid navy blue interview suit.
So many ties, in so many colors, can go perfectly well with a solid navy suit, that I'd rather not start recommending specific examples. But if you want a grey (silver) tie, from The Tie Bar (which, I agree, is a good source for affordable neckwear), go search for something traditional, in silk, with either stripes or dots, and choose from the many dozens of ties with which you'll be presented. If you need it narrowed down even further, you can specify from the drop-down menu's "By Matching Suit" option that it goes with a navy suit.
--
Michael

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads