• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Dumb beginner's question here, but I would greatly appreciate it if you folks could give me some feedback.

1) How does this shirt fit?
2) Is it OK to wear untucked?
I would wear it tucked in if at all possible. With jeans or something you could pull that off untucked though IMO. The sleeves look long and you can see some extra fabric folding up around your forearm.

OlenWeaver

Reaction score
Sleeves look a little long. Why do you want to wear it untucked?

I'm more comfortable that way in general and I work in a very casual office. Also, that shirt felt a little puffy around the waist when I tucked it in. But this is pretty much the first time in my life when I've started trying to think seriously about how my clothes fit, so maybe I'm being overly sensitive.

Looks like a shirt that should be tucked in, seeing that it tapers at the waist and then flares out at the hips. I'd prefer a straight cut if its to be tucked out. Yes, sleeves are too long.

Then another problem, looks too short to be comfortably tucked in? Or you are wearing your pants low.

I'm not wearing my pants low, at least not intentionally.

Last edited:

dena

Reaction score
Last edited:

Scotty

Reaction score
I'd say tucked in but I don't like them untucked.
There has to be some cloth around your waist so you can make basic movements without it getting untucked all the time. The shirt seem to fit well except, as said, sleeves a little long.

I'm more comfortable that way in general and I work in a very casual office. Also, that shirt felt a little puffy around the waist when I tucked it in. But this is pretty much the first time in my life when I've started trying to think seriously about how my clothes fit, so maybe I'm being overly sensitive.

I'm not wearing my pants low, at least not intentionally.
Dumb beginner's question here, but I would greatly appreciate it if you folks could give me some feedback.

1) How does this shirt fit?
2) Is it OK to wear untucked?

red81

Reaction score
sounds like just "summer outdoor wear". where in the caribbean is this?
depending on the answer, a guayabera would be the traditional (local) choice
biggrin.gif

white, long-sleeved, don't tuck it in, button almost all the buttons, and please wear an undershirt!
get linen if you can, to avoid being see-through. avoid the cheap cotton/poly blends. color details on the embroidery are fine (some really nice ones have small flowers), but keep it simple. you should be able to easily get one in-country for under $50. if you don't want to go this route, then a white/pale shirt is sufficient.
jacket is optional if guayabera, but otherwise something light/mid grey, light blue, or cream/tan (in no particular order).
as it's casual, you have some room to play with on the trouser front: chinos, or mid-grey cotton are pretty standard; whatever goes with the jacket. linen would be great except most linen trousers are too baggy gringo-on-holiday casual & not sharp enough. for shoes, sounds like regular office-dress shoes, fancy casual, or a nice pair of loafers, probably in brown though nothing wrong with black or cordovan if it goes with the trousers.
if outdoors in summer, consider a panama hat.

great answer, thought this thread forgot about me.

it's in jamaica actually.

guayabera

Reaction score

great answer, thought this thread forgot about me.
it's in jamaica actually.

if jamaica, then what i said should be fine. you could also hedge your bets; pack a shirt you already have & see what the options are when you arrive there. good luck!

OhGunner

Reaction score
Hi fellas

First post after all the confusion what to wear, how to style myself, etc...I spent an hour on google before a chance collision with style forum and joined instantly in hope your advice will make me look/feel good. I have an extensive wardrobe of branded items, some duplicates and sadly more than 75% is not being touched. With your input I will launch myself in...

Starting from tomorrow: I am thinking of blue stripe on white shirt to go with Dockers khaki pants. Cold snap is back in Britain - just a bit confused what kind/colour of overcoat do you wear with that combo? I have a pea coat navy blue, mid grey raincoat, and few other knee length coats.

Shoes and raincoat image links as under:

http://www.johnlewis.com/276467/Product.aspx?SearchTerm=RecentlyViewedList
http://www.reiss.com/mens/coats-and-jackets/baker/mid-grey/?q=flaker+mid+grey

Look forward to your helpful hints and tips.

OlenWeaver

Reaction score
I have returned with more photos and silly questions.

Is this more acceptable? I always feel like I do a poor job tucking in and end up with some bunching and billowing.

As for the sleeves, I assume there's nothing I can do other than going to a tailor or rolling them up? That shirt is J. Crew Factory washed, medium slim fit. I didn't try a small on, but I doubt I could fit into one, so I'll have to find another store with sleeves for people with apparently slightly short arms. Any suggestions for a moderately priced option?

Thank you all for the help so far.

OlenWeaver

Reaction score
Gosh, they already feel like they're squeezing my most unsqueezable parts. Is that normal? Does that mean I should be buying pants with higher rise?

ellsbebc

Reaction score
Gosh, they already feel like they're squeezing my most unsqueezable parts. Is that normal? Does that mean I should be buying pants with higher rise?

Hike them up. You either have a nonexistent ass or you are wearing them too low. The rise on those pants look standard.

--AH--

Reaction score
I think it's probably a little of both. But I will hike them up as high as I can.
Looks like lots of excess fabric at the waist and hips, you were just sweeping all those to the back, which looks very apparent. You shirt will come untucked too easily.

Maybe a side view would help, but I think you have a flat seat, leading to bunching of fabric behind your pants. Still looks low to me though, could be a photo illusion!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads