1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ that's completely reasonable IMO. 'bout the same here in LA from my local guy.

2. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Heel and vibram some by me is $30 just sole is $22. Chicago area.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  3. Super Cereal

Super Cereal New Member

Hi there I'm in the market for a new suit! I currently am wearing my dad's old suit (he was the same build as me when he was my age). It no longer fits me in the waist and it looks like I'm wearing a Zoot Suit (made me laugh when I wrote this!) After searching the intranets and going window shopping I know the style I am looking for (modern slim fit) and it is only to be use for important events like interviews, formal events, etc.... My question is what should I be paying for something that would be used for? I am not made of money so anything over $800 is out of the question!

4. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

When someone asks about a modern slim fit suit cheap, the answer is almost always Suit Supply. However, if you are too large in the midsection for the suit you already own, I'm not sure slim fit is for you.

5. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

There's no reason you can't get something perfectly acceptable for 3 or 4 bills. How old are you, where are you from?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  6. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Braces with a 3pc tweed suit, fair or foul?

J

7. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

How do you get hanger marks out of wide whale cords?

J

8. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Technically, braces should never be seen. No one will know if you are wearing braces or not. With that said, it's personal preference.

9. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Ok, just dropped it off at the tailor, will see how the pants fit.

J

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Technically, under a three piece, braces are the only appropriate thing, since most belts cause bulges under the vest.

2 people like this.
  11. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Exactly what I was trying to post earlier, but my iPad would not cooperate. Though, side-tab adjusters are an option, just quite rare outside of rental garments.

12. smcosk

smcosk New Member

Can anyone tell me what boots these are exactly, on the right, or refer me to someone who might know? I've looked extensively but I cannot find them anywhere in shops or online. Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

13. Secruoser

Secruoser New Member

Black washed jeans, medium grey blazer, what to wear inside? Partner is wearing black long dress with silver stones along her waist and neckline. Going to a ballroom dinner.

14. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Jeans? Where is your Tuxedo, man! At the very least rise to a charcoal or navy suit eutg white shirt and solid tie.t

15. AmericanLion

AmericanLion Well-Known Member

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good pre-made searches(ebay) for high end Men's dress shoes? I use to have some for suits..shirts and shoes but seem to have lost the bookmark. Right now I am only looking at Allen Edmonds and Aldens used on Ebay because my budget is about 100$ right now for this pair. If any of you guys could suggest for some other brands for me to search or a pre-made search that would be awesome.

16. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Quoted for truth. "Black washed jeans" -- the lady is wearing a dress, let alone one with fancy decorations, let alone in black, let alone LONG? Doesn't matter if it's heirloom-quality woven on the finest loom in all of Japan and you paid four figures for it; denim dropped off the list of acceptable trousers about three and a half notches back. Under the assumption that the blazer is nonnegotiable: I'd advise you to find some charcoal trousers, lace up your nicest black or burgundy shoes, find some silver cuff links, stick with a plain-ish shirt (maybe small check) and I think a navy or dark red silk knit tie.

You know, that’s just, like, my opinion, man... and I don't know anything about your own style or wardrobe options. But I'll tell you what, I bet she appreciates the hell out of it.

17. opperbanaan

opperbanaan New Member

Hello all,

I recently fell in love with this coat from the kooples :
    [​IMG]
    It got no lapels but instead got a leather stand up collar. If i would have to give this coat a name if would call it a nehru coat.
    I cant find this coat anywhere so does somebody know a coat which looks like this one?

Many thanks.

18. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

:brick:

19. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Ok, well I think enough people have made the point that jeans and a blazer is not the appropriate outfit to match your date. Not knowing what your budget is for adding other elements, it is hard to advise what you should do. If you can't afford to pick up anything new, and this is all you have to work with, keep it simple and classic with the shirt and tie. RandomAdam is spot on with his advice. Stay away from loud colours for the shirt. If you go with a pattern, I would say something grey or light blue (and I'm not even sure about that with black pants) on white. A grey bengal stripe might look good - I saw some nice looking ones at Nordstrom's last week. If you have it in your closet, or you can afford one, go for, as I said, a charcoal or darker navy suit. Either one of those suits is apprpriate for almost every occasion - weddings, funerals, job interviews, meetings, etc. And, each one can range from Business Casual, all the way through to Black Tie Optional.

20. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I love jeans, I've worn jeans on new years eve with a velvet blazer, but this post hurt my soul.

You have a date in 2013 who will wear a long dress. Rise to the occasion.

J

2 people like this.