1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

As if!

J

2. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Please consider asking this question in the Streetwear & Denim side of the forum. Here in Classic Menswear people tend to be more interested in clothing that isn't "jeans mostly".

3. ReeceasaurusRex

ReeceasaurusRex Member

I've tried in there, but as far as I know there isn't a thread like this nor is anyone able to even see/answer my questions on there, sadly. This is kind of the last try for me.

Edit: Doesn't have to be jeans. Just looking for colours that would compliment the coat.

Edit 2: So after some thought, I've decided to stick with Jeans and have decided that light (but not too light) blue jeans are the best way to go.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  4. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

It's charcoal gray, it matches damn near everything. That is why people buy coats in that color.

Maybe it's iffy with dark brown, or navy, but other than that let it rip. Even if you wore it over charcoal trousers that didn't match exactly I can't imagine you would catch too much flack, it's a coat ffs.

Don't wear it with your tuxedo, don't wear it with your gym clothes, don't wear it in the summer; otherwise, go for it.

This is like asking what matches a white OCBD.

J

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You have two options:
    1) Get it dry cleaned every couple of interviews if you sweat in it a bunch and it gets gross.
    2) Get another suit...

Clothes are for wearing. You bought something to wear it to interviews, then wear it to interviews... If you're worried people will think it's the exact same one then:
    1) Mix up the tie/shirt/shoes you wear
    2) Get another suit.
    1) 60 bucks for a suit that fits decently? You'll start finding excuses to wear it. Def do it.

2) Agreed completely.

Quote:

Quote:
    I really like that jacket. What brand/make is it? I might have to look for something nice/affordable in that style.

Re: Trousers? I would do everything. It's about as versatile as you can get. I'd go khaki, navy, rust, black, red, blue, salmon, whatever. Just wear it. Jeans are fine too, but you should wear it with more than that. If you just wanted a jacket for jeans then I would have picked something else.

I agree with everything, except that I might wear it with Navy depending on the style of pant and what shoes it's paired with.

6. ridethecliche

Good talk.

7. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Is navy wool jacket, purple university striped OCBD shirt and navy knit tie a bad combination?

8. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Almost certainly yes. I say this with 97.993% certainty having not seen the garments.

J

9. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Ok, thanks for replying.

Would it be better if I just wear the shirt with the jacket?

10. ridethecliche

I just don't see that going... Purple and navy? Depends on the hue's a LOT. I wouldn't do it.

Personally, my rule of thumb is to dress everything else down if I'm wearing something that's a little over the top. I'm currently wearing red pants, but I'm wearing a black sweater, blue OBDC (unbottoned), and silver tie to even it out.

1 person likes this.
  11. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Purple and blue are generally not friendly towards each other. Purple with black or gray is much safer.

J

1 person likes this.
  12. BustopherJones

BustopherJones Member

P.S. What coloured shoes would match my proposed outfit?

13. Spaceman Spliff

Spaceman Spliff Active Member

Is it easy for a tailor to raise the armholes on a flannel jacket? And if so, can someone recommend a good tailor in NYC?

14. bhoves

bhoves Member

I tried a suit on last week that I quite like. It was dark gray, notched lapels and with a double breasted waistcoat, also with notched lapels. The Issue is the waist coat is too long and the buttoning point seems a bit low. Can a waistcoat be raised so the that the buttoning point is higher?

15. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Yes, it can be. The tailor would have to take it apart, and remove material from the shoulders, I'm pretty sure, so it could be an expensive alteration. I'd get a quote on that before making a decision on the suit.

16. bhoves

bhoves Member

Thanks for the quick response! I'll talk to my alterationist and see what she says.

17. KCKing

KCKing Member

I'm having an issue identifying a thrifted suit's label. The inner jacket reads, "Lanificio Barberossa, Super 120s Australian Wool, Galvani Collezione." I've Googled these various brand names to no avail (I've also checked Styleforum. One mention of "Galvani Collezione" in the thrift-bragging thread, but no subsequent info on the label itself).

Some details: gray wool, horn buttons, notch lapel (fairly slim, although not J.Crew Ludlow territory), double-vent back, fully lined, 2-button, classic fit (nothing absurdly short or garishly long, so probably designed in the last 4-5 years). I can't speak too much to whether it's half or fully canvassed, although my guess would be half. Definitely not fused. The pants aren't a full-bodied cut, but again they're nothing terribly skinny. By all looks, it's a slim-fitting version of a classically styled fit. Pictures of the labels below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It seems like a decent/fair quality suit. However, I'm looking for more info on the label, as it seems odd that nothing appears online. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

18. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I would wear flip-flops, but I love flip flops. If you were wearing it with a linen suit, maybe brown loafers, no socks.

Think linen, silk, light cotton, white, cream, black, pastel.

I love how a brown shirt looks with white linen pants.

J

1 person likes this.
  19. Sean McKee

Sean McKee Well-Known Member

I'd say it's some mass produced suit with a fancy label thrown in it to make it look expensive, especially since you can't find any info online regarding the label. I seriously doubt that it's a canvassed garment and most likely fused...I may be wrong but I doubt it. If it's nice and you like it than it doesn't matter...wear it and enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  20. ridethecliche

How much do you guys usually get charged for TOPY's?
    I'm getting quoted like 40 bucks here in boston...