1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I am now the proud owner of a beautiful (beautiful to me, even if every woman and half the men I ever meet will call it an eyesore) blackwatch tartan sport coat. It is a fine wool weave, like a blazer not chunky like a field weight one (apologies for lay terms, I really need to learn more about textiles).

Of course I will wear it with jeans, and I think it would look great with a dark charcoal trouser around the holidays but I am really struggling to visualize many shirt/tie/trouser combinations.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

J

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I love polo collars. I tend to wear mine unbuttoned but with a tie when I go to work. I can't be arsed to button them every time.

I took a bit of a risk today with what I wore to work in terms of shirt/tie combo. It's not the best picture, but I'll post one. Unfortunately, I think this shirt's a little small. I picked it up for free at some point from someone who didn't want it so I'll wear it out when I'm going to a dive bar or something so it'll get destroyed that way, or give it to a smaller coworker after I wash it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  3. ridethecliche

I've been wanting to pair this tie for a while now. Shirt is a slightly small pink H&M make. I got it for free so whatever.

[​IMG]

Paired with Brown wool pants and AE boots.
    [​IMG]

4. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

5. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

A tie doesn't degrade it will probably last 10-20 years. Jcp makes some good ties and u can get silk ones from em too. Those are fine
    A bb or charbet or zegna tie isn't that much better because of brand.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Wait, you honestly think a Charvet tie isn't much better than a JC Penny tie?

OK.

7. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

I have both

Not 100 dollars better
    Most people cant tell

Another thing not the poly ties the stafford silk

8. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Cuff them if you want cuffs. Don't cuff them if you don't want cuffs.

Particularly with a trim cut suit with non-pleated pants, it's purely an optional thing. Maybe you like the look of cuffs, or think the weight of cuffs will help the pants hang better. In that case, go with cuffs. Of course, you're apparently in Oslo; I'm in the US and generally speak from an American perspective (and one biased by my age, background, etc.) in such matters. I can't speak to the sartorial standards of Norway.

That's a fraction of an inch over 6' 2 1/2" tall, for the metric-challenged. :)

But no, it doesn't really matter. Unless a man's legs are freakishly short , the "to cuff, or not to cuff" question is largely independent of height considerations. The notion some people have that cuffs will make them look shorter is pretty much untrue. Nor will wearing uncuffed pants make a tall man look taller. It's just not a significant issue. Although admittedly, if one is short-legged, a somewhat modest cuff width (perhaps 1.25 inches) than what a very tall man might wear (perhaps 2 inches), could be in order. But it would be unusual to opt for cuffs of much less than 1.25", and it's uncommon to choose cuffs of much more than 2", so really one is talking about an extremely narrow range, in any case.

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

1 person likes this.
  10. electrichink

electrichink Member

Are these brown shoes too light to wear with a blue/navy suit?

[​IMG]

11. Zickafunk

Zickafunk New Member

Does anyone have any information about a popular, American Made, 60s-70s clothing designer called Antonio Guiseppe? I own several articles of clothing designed by him/them, including the suit pictured, and I am hoping to find out some background history on the suit and the company who created it. I've been Googling for days with no luck. Any information you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

Thank you for the thorough answer.

13. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Nothing wrong with the colour of the shoes. But those laces? [​IMG]

14. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Nope, but get some proper laces. And, not to anywhere too formal - i.e. a wedding.

15. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

what is the brand that carries the logo of three short rows of stitching on the shoulder seam?

16. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I'm sure I'm picturing this wrong, but it sounds like you mean Adidas.

17. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

no, some minimalist logo I saw, no big deal, thanks.

18. ridethecliche

Nope! Light brown/tan/burgundy/oxblood all go with navy. You should wear a lighter shirt though.

19. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

Hi all,

I have a university grad ball coming up in a month or so. From looking at last year's pictures, most folks just end up wearing a suit, with the odd tuxedo attempt (aka suit jacket + bowtie). Didn't see any true tux pictures.

I don't own a tux, and don't see much point in buying one since I will really not be wearing it for some time. What I do own is a very well fitting charcoal suit, so I intend on wearing that with black captoes and a white spread collar shirt with white PS. My question is in terms of tie: I'm debating between a black, navy, or silver grenadine. I was wondering on SFs opinion to help me out!

20. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Not necessarily. But depending on the setting, the time of day, etc., they could be too light.

Often, an item is not so much "too light" or "too dark," in any absolute sense, but rather may be too light or too dark for a given situation.

For example, those shoes might well be fine to wear with a navy suit to an afternoon lawn party. But they might be a sub-optimal choice to wear with the same navy suit to a funeral, or to an 8PM opera performance, or to a job interview at a conservative law firm. (At all of which, black shoes would likely be the better choice.)