• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm buying some Wolverine 1000 Miles in Brown and I want to get my first legit pair of denim to go with the boots and be usable in a wide variety of looks. I like a slimmer leg fit, living in Brooklyn and all, as long as it's not too extreme (and my slightly more muscular build makes it easy to go extreme there). Any suggestions? Either on brands/styles, or on NYC stores to visit?

Selfedge

jawboneofa

Reaction score
I picked up this sportcoat a while back, but unfortunately I think it's just too long for me. If anybody can convince me otherwise, I'd appreciate it. I love the fabric and pattern and would love to hang on to it. Could I get it shortened without ruining it? Do I even need to get it shortened? Maybe it just needs adjustments at the sides, the skirt, and the sleeves and that will make it better?

My apologies for the crappy photos.

gambit50

Reaction score
I'm buying some Wolverine 1000 Miles in Brown and I want to get my first legit pair of denim to go with the boots and be usable in a wide variety of looks. I like a slimmer leg fit, living in Brooklyn and all, as long as it's not too extreme (and my slightly more muscular build makes it easy to go extreme there). Any suggestions? Either on brands/styles, or on NYC stores to visit?
I am always surprised at such infinitely open questions. There are a zillion brands of jeans. There are fewer styles but still many. If you are in BK, there are oodles of stores that sell jeans from big box to vintage to niche, etc.
Also, your budget.
If you are a true hipster, say Bushwick style, then you will get a pair from the used clothing lot.
If you are a current Billyburg hipster, then you will buy new stuff that fits the style of those who hit the dumpster.
Or if you just live elsewhere and like the look, that is fine.
Being muscular is very anti hipster. Playing an actual sport is against the rules, completely.
That being said, you can get skinnies that tuck in. I am guessing you would not want a flare/boot cut to cover but that is an option.
What I would not buy are slightly slim legs with non tapered opening. They will not cover or fit nicely inside.
But there is also the option to roll a jean cuff above the boot.
If you say which neighborhood, if you want to explore elsewhere(NYC has sooooooooooooooooooooooo many stores that want to take your money for jeans), budget and any other bits
to narrow it down, I can try to help you.

Also, are these the boots?

http://www.wolverine.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/20591M/0/Mens/1000-Mile-Boot?dimensions=0

One look could be skinnies(or not quite skin tight but slim slim but with completely tapered opening) into the boots, nice *****, quality sweater, probably turtle or mock. Good for winter and all.

gambit50

Reaction score
I picked up this sportcoat a while back, but unfortunately I think it's just too long for me. If anybody can convince me otherwise, I'd appreciate it. I love the fabric and pattern and would love to hang on to it. Could I get it shortened without ruining it? Do I even need to get it shortened? Maybe it just needs adjustments at the sides, the skirt, and the sleeves and that will make it better?

My apologies for the crappy photos.
You know, it does not look so out of proportion.
But yywwyy is obviously correct that the sleeves are terribly long.
I think that with those shortened, THEN the jacket length will also appear long.
Basically, the whole jacket is long, yeah?
There have been some threads about shortening jacket length, recently. Do a search if you like.

gambit50

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been giving the following Diesel jeans:

But am unsure what footwear would go best wit them?

Im a 27 year old man and usually were mid-blue denim jeans with dark brown boat shoes, but not too sure they will go well with thee jeans?
if not, what other footwear could i use?

i will be wearing these jeans with casual shirts, maybe a plain (gray/navy/black) sweater/cardigan too

will be fore evening and weekend casual wear, to the shops, to the pub/cinema/out with friends
Is this a real question? With no specifics, you can wear so many types of shoes with jeans.
Now, how do they fit? They are Diesel so I assume these are there straight leg, regular fit type from the looks of it. Or are they a bit slim and straight with a somewhat narrow opening?
Boat shoes might not be great if the leg opening is too big. Doable, sure, but anything is doable if you like, no? You are a young dude so no worries about that.
If they are a nicely fitted pair, you can rock fashion sneakers, loafers, certain more formal shoes.
If the leg is wide, I think the range of matching is a bit less but a nice pair of boots will work. Yes, there are many variations of boots but that is sort of my point from the beginning. This is such a huge question.
Anyway, read and think of more specifics and ask more if you like.

dena

Reaction score
Can anyone here provide a basic outline of sport coat color combinations, definitely trying to pick one out this weekend but I've never owned a proper sportcoat/blazer that didn't always match my trousers.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone here provide a basic outline of sport coat color combinations, definitely trying to pick one out this weekend but I've never owned a proper sportcoat/blazer that didn't always match my trousers.

Most sportcoats will go with mid-grey trousers - the whole blue blazer/sportscoat+grey trousers combination is a classic one.

strangedream

Reaction score
I understand the constructional differences from Norwegian welt to Goodyear/Blake welt, but what are functional differences that set it apart? In other words, what are key characteristics of Norwegian welt that one chooses it over other styles, other than for an aesthetic reason?

When I google "Norwegian welt," the keyword is generally associated with hiking boots. Does Norwegian welt better suited for hiking boots?

OlenWeaver

Reaction score
Dumb beginner's question here, but I would greatly appreciate it if you folks could give me some feedback.

1) How does this shirt fit?
2) Is it OK to wear untucked?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dumb beginner's question here, but I would greatly appreciate it if you folks could give me some feedback.

Sleeves look a little long. Why do you want to wear it untucked?

jclark

Reaction score
Anybody knows whats the problem at the back of the collar? The tailor is going to fix it up, but just wanted to know what went wrong there?

--AH--

Reaction score

Looks like a shirt that should be tucked in, seeing that it tapers at the waist and then flares out at the hips. I'd prefer a straight cut if its to be tucked out. Yes, sleeves are too long.

Then another problem, looks too short to be comfortably tucked in? Or you are wearing your pants low.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads