• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dena

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a pair of black lace ups, but am not sure where to start, preferably black with a leather sole and nothing too complicated in terms of design, something like this would be perfect:

thing is, I'm on a bit of a budget, looking for something in the range of 150-200. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking to buy a pair of black lace ups, but am not sure where to start, preferably black with a leather sole and nothing too complicated in terms of design, something like this would be perfect:

thing is, I'm on a bit of a budget, looking for something in the range of 150-200. Any suggestions are much appreciated. 

Allen Edmonds Park Avenue from The Shoe Bank during their next sale. Will be in the 150-200 range.

Gilmour

Reaction score
Shoe Lasts

I have a pair of Loake Oban 8F on 1639 last which fits me quite well.

I am trying to compare it to C&J 7.5 E Harvard Loafer on the 314 last.

It seems that the Loake is quater of an inch wider at ball of foot but i dont know if maybe C&J may have more room in that area of the shoe.

Any input would be appreciated.

Vivaldi09

Reaction score
I'm currently a college student and I'm getting tired of always wearing gym shoes/tennis shoes. I'd really like to get some casual leather shoes (they don't necessarily have to be leather). I live in Florida so I always wear khaki shorts/cargo shorts and a polo. What shoes do you think I should get? By the way, I do not like penny loafers/moccasins so those are out. Thank you, I appreciate your respones.

powenb

Reaction score
Do you think these are acceptable to pair with mid Grey and Blue suits for business?

32554154-F03D-459F-91FF-38ADA30D9C08-1391-00000208E17C5A72.jpg

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you think these are acceptable to pair with mid Grey and Blue suits for business?

(You don't indicate where you're located, so I'm going to assume it's somewhere in the United States. Other countries may have other standards for acceptability.)

There are people who maintain that loafers should not be worn with suits. And that this inherent mismatch is made even worse when it's done in a business context. And when they're tassel loafers (which are regarded as being even more casual than the non-tassel variety of loafer).

On the other hand, the pairing of loafers (very much including tassel loafers) is a firmly established tradition in certain circles. Particularly those connected with what might be termed the Preppy or Ivy League look.

So, decide for yourself into which camp you fall. Then you'll have your answer.

It's probably worth noting that there are loafers, and there are loafers - not all are equally appropriate for wearing with a suit (assuming that you agree that it's okay to wear loafers with a suit in the first place). Some loafers just look more... refined... than others.The ones pictured don't really appeal to me, but neither are they obviously too casual to be worn with a suit.

If it matters to you, the practice of wearing loafers with suits is more common among certain professions (particularly lawyers), than among others. And it's somewhat more common in certain parts of the country (particularly the Northeast), than in others.

I sometimes wear tassel loafers (most often, Allen Edmonds Graysons, in Merlot) with grey or navy suits, for business. (I'm a lawyer, but don't practice much these days. And I'm in Maryland, which may be part of the Northeast, or maybe not, depending on whom you ask.)
--
Michael

Stay Tuned for Next Week's Question - "Is it okay to wear a shirt with a button-down collar, with a business suit?" followed by a recap of last week's spirited discussion on why a wristwatch nearly the size of a pie plate and the better part of an inch thick, sporting multiple sub-dials, is not a formal watch, no matter how much money it costs or how many times a fictional British spy has chosen to wear a diver's watch with his tuxedo.

facet

Reaction score

clarksdb's park avenue is a good; I would add the kenilworth's as well if you are specifically looking for a plain toe blucher like the one in your pic.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

That place scares me. In their WAYWRN thread (or the equivalent), there was a guy wearing a gas mask (not photoshopped). Why would you wear a gas mask? Do you live under threat of chemical warfare?

It is a strange, strange place.
peepwall[1].gif

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That place scares me. In their WAYWRN thread (or the equivalent), there was a guy wearing a gas mask (not photoshopped). Why would you wear a gas mask? Do you live under threat of chemical warfare?

It is a strange, strange place.
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

The funny thing is they think they are totally normal folks there and believe the gentlemen in Men's Clothing don't know much about dressing properly. When I first joined styleforum I would stay there for some reason and only recently started coming here when I realized I didn't like much of what I bought based on recommendations there. Finally starting to build a better wardrobe now.

The greatest difference between the two sections though is that most people here are actually gentlemen whereas in SW&D you get people like jet who probably weigh 120 lbs and act like big shots.

Last edited:

8bpc

Reaction score

Just wonder what people's thoughts are on this pair of faragamo shoes. The picture doesn't represent the colours too accurately but better than nothing.
http://db.tt/yQYL9qf5

Single buckle monk straps don't seem to get much love around here, often described as being like "Pilgrim shoes." If you like them use your own judgement, it is your style after all.

8bpc

Reaction score
Need some help with Allen Edmonds sizing. I wear the Mora and Clifton in 11.5D. I want to fit the Neumok, so before ordering I went to a local store that only had the Park Ave (PA) and tried it on since it is built on the 5 last. I found the PA 11.5D to be loose in the right heel and the 11D was too narrow. Searching the forum I found posts that suggested going down 0.5 size and up 1 in the width, so I ordered the Neumok in 11E and 11.5D for good measure.

The Neumok 11E was far too loose in both the heels. The 11.5D seemed to fit much better than compared with the PA, but the right heel slips a little. The 11.5D seemed to have roughly a whole inch of extra room in the toe, but didn't feel like clown shoes.

Any suggestions on what size I should return them for? Given the extra room I was thinking an 11D might be the right size, but wondering if it will throw the fit off on my left foot. I need to get these returned ASAP so I appreciate any helpful suggestion..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads