• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on double pleats? I can get a great deal on a very well made suit and all the measurements are right. I'm not sure I've even seen a double pleat in person. Is is considered very formal? Out of date? Etc.

edit: Should have made it more obvious that it's an online sale so I can't get a good look unless I buy it.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

go0gle

Reaction score
I am going to a wedding (grooms man) and I need to get a light grey suite. I don't really need one, so I think its going to have to be on the cheap side.. maybe up to around $400-500. I know its not a lot of a suite, but its all I can afford so..

I will try locally, but I was wondering if anyone here can suggest an online sale, or a good website for that.

The groom will be wearing this

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...inkType=#fn=sp=4&spc=197&ruleId=66&slotId=136

and I guess the closer I can get to that shade of grey, the better.

Thanks in advance!

ps. He wants to do brown shoes ? I have several pairs.. but I ma not sure if that will be ok with the light grey.

Last edited:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts on double pleats? I can get a great deal on a very well made suit and all the measurements are right. I'm not sure I've even seen a double pleat in person. Is is considered very formal? Out of date? Etc.

edit: Should have made it more obvious that it's an online sale so I can't get a good look unless I buy it.

Properly-fitted trousers with double pleats are perfectly fine. Double pleats on trousers have gotten a bad rap because they are so often poorly fitted. When that's the case, the pleats are pulled open and the entire waistline looks like a mass of crumpled fabric. When they're properly fitted, they hang straight and closed and few people would even notice their presence.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I just purchased my first 2 pairs of AE's; Black Park Ave and Walnut Hale's. So obviously the black PA's are a staple and can be dressed up with just about anything, but what are your opinions on the Walnut Hales? It's definitely a lighter shade of brown so is there anything I should avoid wearing them with? Can they go with a dark navy suit, light grey suit, and dressed down as far as dark denim with a sport coat?
http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/470883/
At least on this side of the Atlantic, they can go with a navy or light gray suit. It's not the most conservative pairing so probably unwise for job interviews or board meetings, but acceptable for an average day in any but the most staid offices.

MarshMan114

Reaction score
At least on this side of the Atlantic, they can go with a navy or light gray suit. It's not the most conservative pairing so probably unwise for job interviews or board meetings, but acceptable for an average day in any but the most staid offices.

Thanks for the input. The black PA's will definitely be for more serious attire so these will be paired with slacks and chinos or nice weekend wear more than anything. My workplace is terribly under-dressed as is so it won't draw any unwanted attention.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Properly-fitted trousers with double pleats are perfectly fine. Double pleats on trousers have gotten a bad rap because they are so often poorly fitted. When that's the case, the pleats are pulled open and the entire waistline looks like a mass of crumpled fabric. When they're properly fitted, they hang straight and closed and few people would even notice their presence.

Nice, thank you very much. It's a Golden Fleece suit that's only been worn a couple times so I am assuming they are well made enough to look the way you described. And if not, I have an excellent tailor and could pay for alterations as a last resort. I just didn't want it to be considered too stuffy or old and most of my forum searches led me to single pleat vs. flat front posts. Anyways, thanks again.

jbernard

Reaction score

So I just purchased my first 2 pairs of AE's; Black Park Ave and Walnut Hale's. So obviously the black PA's are a staple and can be dressed up with just about anything, but what are your opinions on the Walnut Hales? It's definitely a lighter shade of brown so is there anything I should avoid wearing them with? Can they go with a dark navy suit, light grey suit, and dressed down as far as dark denim with a sport coat?
I don't understand why some people are saying 'no'. I think it depends on your preferences. In the last 3 years this color has been worn with just about everything except black suits. A style that has made its way even into very conservative workplaces. If you are a modern dresser you should be able to pull it off. Especially with the light gray (as long as its not a super light gray with black mix) You should not wear them to a job interview or very formal occasion. But when you already have the job and are at less formal events but prefer wearing a suit or dress pants you can definitely do it.

Last edited:

jbernard

Reaction score

I am going to a wedding (grooms man) and I need to get a light grey suite. I don't really need one, so I think its going to have to be on the cheap side.. maybe up to around $400-500. I know its not a lot of a suite, but its all I can afford so..
I will try locally, but I was wondering if anyone here can suggest an online sale, or a good website for that.
The groom will be wearing this
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...inkType=#fn=sp=4&spc=197&ruleId=66&slotId=136
and I guess the closer I can get to that shade of grey, the better.
Thanks in advance!
ps. He wants to do brown shoes ? I have several pairs.. but I ma not sure if that will be ok with the light grey.

http://www.blacklapel.com/suits/solid-cool-gray.html

There is a brown that can go with it.

10% off code: CUREBFD

$450 for a nice suit you could wear to a job interview in the future.

facet

Reaction score

Yes! :)

Last edited:

jeholloway

Reaction score
Hello I am Jay H. from South Florida. I am interested in learning about excellent work / dress garments that I can purchase locally. I have been wearing Swiss and Italian Zegna. I have a good tailor however good canvassed suits and sport coats are increasingly difficult to find. Zegna suits are now 2495 to 2895 USD. Also Neiman Marcus only carries the slim Milano series and I need Roma. I am learning more about what a proper fit looks like and jacket construction however I am finding it difficult to find new items to purchase. Any advice would be appreciated.

diglett

Reaction score
Bumping this.
What are the guidelines (if any) for wearing leather with leather? I have some leather boots that I'd like to wear with navy chinos this Autumn, but I don't know what to wear for a jacket. I have one in leather, but don't know if it can be worn with the boots:

I might pick up a khaki field jacket, which I think would look great with the boots and navy chinos, but I'm just wondering if I'll need it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads