• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Youngj

Reaction score
Crosspost from skinhead thread

Hello
I've posted here before looking for advise on long wings but I'm still empty handed.
I've got the chance to pick up a lightly used pair of shell Florsheim Imperial's for a good price.
They're a size 10 D, which should be around 9/9.5 in the UK. 
Would anyone wearing 10 in Florsheim's be able to measure their foot, heel to toe, so I can get an idea about how these will size. 
Shoe sizing varies so greatly it's frustrating but when it comes to shell long wings, the internet is pretty much my only choice.

Cheers 

Namehere2

Reaction score

Hey guys. Currently I got these 2 pair of shoes. I am looking to expand my collection and get a pair of winter/fall shoes. I want them to be dark. What would you suggest for a 18 year old student? I enjoy boat shoes, but since I already got a pair I've been looking for higher shoes, like chukka boots. Also been checking out oxfords, and they look pretty nice also. My budget is tops 100$ for a pair of shoes. I usually go with chinos, shirts, cardigans. What would you suggest?

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys. Currently I got these 2 pair of shoes. I am looking to expand my collection and get a pair of winter/fall shoes. I want them to be dark. What would you suggest for a 18 year old student? I enjoy boat shoes, but since I already got a pair I've been looking for higher shoes, like chukka boots. Also been checking out oxfords, and they look pretty nice also. My budget is tops 100$ for a pair of shoes. I usually go with chinos, shirts, cardigans. What would you suggest?

Brown suede chukkas or maybe a pair of Clarks desert boots?

Last edited:

Namehere2

Reaction score
Yeah I've been kinda into that. Those kind of shoes are completely new to me so I am a bit excited about how they will be. Got any good sites that sell chukkas/desert boots to a fair price and ship to Sweden?

Edit: Btw do those shoes work well in fall/winter? Seeingas I live in Sweden it can get pretty cold and snow

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there a such thing as a "half suit" or "partial suit"? Or am I just such an insufferable pedant that I can't stand the phrase "full suit"?

It's just a suit, not "full" or "half". I don't even know what you are asking.

Namehere2

Reaction score
Changing my mind a little. Maybe I should go a lighter color on the chukkas? Like light grey...

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there a such thing as a "half suit" or "partial suit"? Or am I just such an insufferable pedant that I can't stand the phrase "full suit"?

You may be thinking of suit separates. If not? Pedant.

firubi

Reaction score
Hi again, any idea of where to get this Michael Bastian sweater LeBron is wearing???

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is the fabric on this tuxedo a deal breaker? Would fit well and it's a peak/1 button model, which are surprisingly hard to find

2mrgyl1.jpg

It would be for me. I think that kind of stripe is bad enough on a suit let alone a dinner jacket.

Kingcarn

Reaction score
Any good recommendations on where to get a nice black bow tie and cumberbund?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I apologize if this has been asked here.

It looks like people would rather purchase 5 or 10 or 20 different types of suits before they even considered buying a black suit. So my question is, when is it correct to wear a black suit? Are there any situations where is may not be preferred (over charcoal or something similar), but still acceptable?

Marsh

If you are asking about the acceptability of black suits in the context of traditional men's suits, there are so few occasions for which they are acceptable that it would be silly to acquire one unless, as you mention above, you already own 20 or more other suits. If you are asking in the context of today's plastic, duck-billed shoes and glued polyester Men's Wearhouse suits, then black is acceptable and even preferred for lots of situations. Choose the color of your suit based on the standard to which you prefer to conform.

Since many people criticize the seemingly arbitrary character of the "rules" of traditional menswear, I will point out that charcoal suits look objectively better than black suits in the vast majority of shirt/tie combinations that would be worn in a day or business context. In other words, there are objective aesthetic bases for many of those "rules". Even the most casual observation of the duck-billed shoe/polyester black suit of today should illustrate the aesthetic carnage that results from discarding all those "rules" at once.

It is preferred for funerals. It can also be acceptable for evening/club wear. I was interviewing job applicants recently though, and 8 out of 10 of the men wore black suits. Didn't hire any of them. :marchal: Not for that reason though. :happy:

That's highly debatable. Charcoal is perfectly appropriate for funerals.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads