• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

comeonyouspurs

Reaction score
So there you have it. Get yourself a pair of AE Strands, in brown burnished calf.
--
Michael

Thanks for the in-depth reply haha. Just to clarify I do have two other pairs of ok, probably SF approved (i.e. better than Florsheim) shoes to service suits and more MC stuff. But the other shoes I have are really "dressy" and end up looking kind of daft with jeans or chinos (I'm def not the trim fit jean build, and they would require such. With trousers though, they're not bad). So, not looking for the one and only service shoes but your advice was well taken. Impatience def influenced my interest in Florsheim. The quick fix is rarely the right way to go, but I'm so goddamned impatient! haha

With all that blah blah out the way, the Strand does seem like a good investment. Looks like the sale you speak of starts June 15. Let the countdown begin!

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm trying to decide which one to get.

Notwithstanding the occasional military uniform, I'm not all that fond of wearing black shoes with chinos. But that aside, I kind of prefer monk straps to lace ups. Well, usually I do.

Also, I'm not the best source for advice on what to wear with jeans, but while the monk straps, above, seem like they'd be okay with jeans, I don't think the laced pair would work well at all.
--
Michael

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But the other shoes I have are really "dressy" and end up looking kind of daft with jeans or chinos

You know, if you just want some less dressy shoes to wear with jeans and chinos, you could go with a pair of loafers. Bass Weejuns, if you aren't sure whether you're a loafer kind of guy so you want to try 'em out on the cheap. Sebago Cayman II's, if you're willing to pay a little more for something arguably a little nicer. Various Allen Edmonds or Alden loafers, if you want a genuinely high quality pair.

Loafer opinion seems to be polarized - some of us love loafers, others dismiss them as horrible and/or "old man shoes." Me? I like them and have been wearing them since I was young. They're sort of my "go to" footwear, for that vast middle ground between boat shoes and "suit" shoes.

If you're not already a loafer guy, but you're willing to give them a try, start with something like beef roll penny loafers. Leave the tassel loafers and the horsebit loafers to more veteran players. :)

I'm def not the trim fit jean build
Neither am I. Which doesn't particularly bother me, mind you.

The quick fix is rarely the right way to go, but I'm so goddamned impatient! haha
If you start jonesing for a new shoe fix, try to deal with the urge by buying yourself some really cool socks, instead. I'm talking colorful wool argyles, man. If a shoe purchase is your heroin, the argyles ought to at least function as methadone.

the Strand does seem like a good investment.
All joking aside, it really is a shoe that can function as a wardrobe staple for many years to come.

Heck, pick up a pair of loafers, and a pair of Strands. They differ from each other sufficiently that you needn't feel like you're making duplicate purchases. And the thing with buying quality footwear is that the pleasure of owning and wearing the shoes remains, long after the pain of laying out the money is forgotten.
--
Michael

Namehere2

Reaction score

J
ust bought shoes like this today, sorta. Light mocha loafers.
I was planning on buying some clothes to match these shoes. What kind of clothes would go well? I assume my bright-red shorts doesn't go well with these so I need some stuff to fill upp my wardrobe and I am not sure of with what.

My style is chinos/chinos-shorts, polos, t-shirts and shirts. Cardigans too.

Namehere2

Reaction score

H
ey, I just bought shoes that looks sort of like these today. Light mocha loafers :)
I also need some new clothes, so I was wondering of what piece of clothing would go well with these shoes? I assume for example that my bright-red shorts wont go well with these?.. Anywho, I'd love some tips of colours and colour matching that would fit with these shoes, thanks.
My style is chinos/chinos-shorts, t-shirts, shirts, polos and cardigans.
I got short brown hair :)

Thanks in advance

Namehere2

Reaction score
Hey, I just bought shoes that looks sort of like these today. Light mocha loafers :)
I also need some new clothes, so I was wondering of what piece of clothing would go well with these shoes? I assume for example that my bright-red shorts wont go well with these?.. Anywho, I'd love some tips of colours and colour matching that would fit with these shoes, thanks.
My style is chinos/chinos-shorts, t-shirts, shirts, polos and cardigans.
I got short brown hair :)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Stugotes

Reaction score
Does Borrelli do bespoke shirts? And do they take order from their store/showroom in Milano?

Uberjebus

Reaction score
I'm 6' 3" 215 and I'm wondering if the Brook Brothers slim fit oxford shirts would be an ok cut for me. I've heard they're cut quite large

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) White or blue shirt for university graduation?

If the person wearing the shirt is graduating, I assume a gown will be covering all/nearly all of the shirt during the ceremony, so shirt color would probably not be too important. (If no gowns are to be worn, and no guidelines have been offered regarding shirt color, either color is likely to prove unobjectionable.)

If the person wearing the shirt is simply attending the graduation exercise, well, I still can't see how it really matters very much which color shirt a member of the audience chooses to wear.

Should white bucks be in shoe trees?
No, but shoe trees should be in the white bucks. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads