Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cxbxw

cxbxw Well-Known Member

I bought a new pair of leather shoes, and the tongue digs into the front of my ankle slightly when I walk, creating a minor amount of discomfort.

Is this something that will occur less as the shoe softens? Moreover, if not, can this be adjusted?

Last edited: May 31, 2012

2. cxbxw

cxbxw Well-Known Member

^Please answer quickly and efficiently, as I'm going to bed soon. Thanks.

3. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

What color shoes to wear with a gray suit? I was thinking of wearing a silver duckie by florshiem long wings... But that seems a bit overthetop. Black? light brown? Thanks!

and to the above, my shoes always soften with wear, it shouldn't bother you for long...

4. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

I picked up my Daltons today but they fit badly. Unfortunately when I tried them on several weeks ago I was wearing significantly thinner socks and I ordered the size that felt good. Today I got a call that they came in, so not thinking, I went to get them straight from the beach (not wearing any socks). I tried them on with the "try on" socks AE gave me and they felt good. However, when I got home and put on real socks they were so tight it was painful (but only on my left foot). Should I exchange them for a bigger size, wearing thinner socks, or wait for a few days of wear and allow them to stretch? Thanks for the help SF.

5. calcoast

calcoast Well-Known Member

I would wear brown shoes with a grey suit. Black shoes would work fine, silver IMO is doing too much. These are just my opinions...

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Wear them around the house and walk around on carpet for a few days to see if they loosen up a little bit.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Some people discuss how a collar should balance with ones face, but honestly I think a collar just needs balance in itself. Some degree of a spread collar will always look better than a point collar.

You are going to have a tough time finding a read to wear linen suit for $3-400 let alone MTM. Linen is a very expensive fabric even if the labor is cheap. I would look for used stuff.

8. patrickBOOTH

It will most likely soften. New shoes frequently give me aches and pains that go away after a handful of wears.

Sorry, didn't know when your bedtime was. Were you wearing your shoes to bed? :confused:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

9. hoth

hoth Member

When buying a suit, are the measurements given the measurements of the fabric or what the man should be?

For example, a Benjamin 36R has the measurements of:

Chest: 39"
    Shoulders: 17.15"
    Sleeve length: 25.5"
    Length from bottom of collar: 28.8"

I believe my measurements are:

Chest: 35.5"
    Shoulders: 16"
    Sleeve length: 24"

Does this mean the suit is too big for me?

10. patrickBOOTH

Suits are measured by their chest in terms of labelled size, but measuring your chest and that of a suit and it being the same or close will never gaurantee a good fit. It is about proportion of fabric, where it is added, or lacks to come up with the measurement. These measurement guides online stores give are rough guidelines. However, 3.5" larger than your chest seems a bit big. Also, I dought your shoulders are 6" wide.

11. hoth

hoth Member

Thank you for the help!

Yes, I forgot the 1. My shoulders are 16" wide. So, it does seem the suit is a little big for me in all respects. Would a tailor be able to adjust all of those measurements?

Also, a 36S has the same measurements with the exception of:

Sleeve length: 24.5"
    Length from bottom of collar: 28.4"

It sounds like that would be the better choice amusing a tailor fan help with the large chest.

If it helps, these are the two suits I am looking at:
    http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/the-13035/Benjamin-Sartorial-Suit-cln--36R/Detail
    http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/the-4853/Benjamin-Sartorial-Suit-cln--36S/Detail

(The only place that sells suits within 100 miles of me is MW, so I likely will have to purchase a suit online)

12. patrickBOOTH

Chests can only be altered with desireable results of about an inch or so. It might be ok, but I don't know. Best case try on some models in person somewhere and then buy online. Move out of the sticks, boy! :)

It sounds like you are a small guy, so I would go with the short. But you would know better than me. How tall are you?

13. hoth

hoth Member

Yes, I live in a very casual beach town in central California. Once I get my BS, I'll likely move to a larger town, maybe Portland...

Anyways, back on topic.

I am 5' 11" 145lbs.

For a point of reference, here are two pictures of me. The first in a Benjamin 38R and the second in a J Crew Ludlow. I like the Ludlow's fit; however, it is cheap and made of cotton, not something I plan to keep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. patrickBOOTH

They both don't fit well at all. Look at all of the space around the collar. The gaping. Also the lapels look to be billowing out rather than falling straight down. I think you may have to try a different cut.

15. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

Nasty collar gap on both.