• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would like to buy a pocket square. I'm not sure how much money I should spend on it. How much does the quality differ from brands selling a white pocket square?

I have seen them from $10-$35 dollars. If it is 100% linen (or cotten or whatever) and has hand rolled edges, you are pretty much good to go. Kent Wang sells them for $20-25, I find this to be a good price point.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which tie goes better? (The shirt is a lavender color if it is hard to tell, a med. gray suit will also be involved once it gets back from the tailor)

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3: I should take better pictures.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have seen them from $10-$35 dollars. If it is 100% linen (or cotten or whatever) and has hand rolled edges, you are pretty much good to go. Kent Wang sells them for $20-25, I find this to be a good price point.

Simonnot-Godard ones on A Suitable Wardrobe are $65, larger and much finer, with better rolled edges. Worth it, imo.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Which tie goes better? (The shirt is a lavender color if it is hard to tell, a med. gray suit will also be involved once it gets back from the tailor)
Option 1:

Option 2:

Both are hideous, but the darker one looks better of the two.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Option 1:

Option 2:

Both are hideous, but the darker one looks better of the two.

Kinda depends on your coloring and suit color. If you're blond and wearing a lighter grey / khaki suit, probably option 1. If you're darker-haired and wearing a darker suit, option 2.

I hope you plan on pressing the shirt and adding collar stays, young man.

Last edited:

bnovc

Reaction score
BB ordinarily offers smaller sizes than that, I assume they're sold out right now after a sale. You can find decent BB stuff for around $700 IIRC during sales.
Another option, Last Call frequently has Hickey Freeman staple color suits for ~$350. They're very nice for the money, and usually plenty of sizes available online.

Thanks for the suggestion of Last Call. It seems like right now they don't have any gray suits that are <40. It seems like the suits they have, e.g. this one, have pretty high buttons; that seems to have a short looking appearance but maybe that isn't the standard thought?

I'm reluctant to spend $700+ on a suit at this point given that I will probably find a lot that I don't like about it later as I learn more. It also seems that BB suits are catered a lot more towards broader people.

Quote:
That's what I keep reading, but it seems like the only viable option to get a slim fitting suit that fits me...

I was hoping that if I could get a shirt that fit properly from them first, I would have a reasonable chance of getting a suit that was ok.

Quote:
Wouldn't make sense for you to be deciding between a 36L and 38S, the L would be dramatically longer and wouldn't make sense. You'd be deciding between a 38S and a 36S, or maybe a 36R.

Sorry, that was a poor choice of writing on my part. I meant 38s (plural), not 38S; I definitely cannot fit in a small. It seems like 36R has the right size shoulder and 38R has the right length for me in general.

I suppose if I got a suit with fake buttons, then I could go for a 36R and have it lengthened in the arms.

Quote:
I suspect my problem is that I've read too much on this forum to know what is wrong with what I'm trying on, but I don't have enough experience to know how to fix it.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with southwick otr models? I found a nice southwick suit in a beautiful plaid I have been looking for. The model is Bailey or so the listing says. BNWT so possibly recent. Any information would be helpful as search turned up nothing useful.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kinda depends on your coloring and suit color. If you're blond and wearing a lighter grey / khaki suit, probably option 1. If you're darker-haired and wearing a darker suit, option 2.

Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated.

I just threw on the shirt on in an attempt to show the color, will do.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestion of Last Call. It seems like right now they don't have any gray suits that are <40. It seems like the suits they have, e.g. this one, have pretty high buttons; that seems to have a short looking appearance but maybe that isn't the standard thought?

Availability is always an issue with discount stores. I don't recall them being short when I tried some on in the store and I'm 6' and was trying on an R length. Maybe they're showing a different model jacket in the pictures.
I'm reluctant to spend $700+ on a suit at this point given that I will probably find a lot that I don't like about it later as I learn more. It also seems that BB suits are catered a lot more towards broader people.
BB has some fairly slim cuts and they do offer down to a 36. What you'll find online, on sale...well, who knows? Their inventory online is not all that reliable.

I suppose if I got a suit with fake buttons, then I could go for a 36R and have it lengthened in the arms.
Relatively few decent RTW suits have working buttons. I've had sleeves lengthened in the past, gotta check to make sure how much material is available first though.
I suspect my problem is that I've read too much on this forum to know what is wrong with what I'm trying on, but I don't have enough experience to know how to fix it.
It's a blessing and a curse :happy:

Gotta learn somehow though, right? I just started taking thrift store finds to the tailor and seeing what they could do with them. It's somewhat painful to sink $70 into a $10 jacket and realize that it won't work in the end, but at least now I know more about tailoring and the process.

Essential

Reaction score
I'm 5' 5" and 125 pounds. I'm planning to get a 35R (smallest S is 38) for a suit. Would it be easy to get it tailored and shortened to S size?

Last edited:

Aardvark43

Reaction score
So I'm headed to business school this Fall and wanted to add two suits to my wardrobe to prevent from overwearing my two existing suits. I'm a big fan of the BB Fitzgerald and purchased a solid black and a solid navy this past winter. I want to add to more to the collection in one of the upcoming spring/summer sales.

The one I know I'm getting is the charcoal tic; it seems to be a nice balance between the solid black and navy.

The other is up for debate and is between the saxxon herringbone in navy and the saxxon plaid in blue. I like both. My concern with the herringbone is that it's not different enough from the solid navy to warrant the purchase. I really like the subtleness of the plaid, but I'm worried that the plaid is not conservative and do not want to turn off recruiters. All things being equal, I'd probably go with the plaid. But, conservatism has a higher priority.

Thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads