1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. DJosef

DJosef Senior member

I scored some sweet light brown chelsea boots today, and I'm wondering what kind of clothes I should wear them with... I'm thinking of my grey tweed sports coat with odd trousers. What about dressing down a navy suit with them? Do you think it would work out well? :)

2. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Can some give me some websites or videos on how to tie a tie with a dimple? Looking at a 4 in hand knot probably. Preferably some easy guide as I don't know how to tie a tie at all right now :embar:.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  3. Tom NYC

Tom NYC New Member

Quote: I guess I was considering the idea that perhaps it's not meant to be a topcoat - there is no lining - it's constructed like a light weight suit jacket that just happens to come down to the top of my knee.

Regardless - it will be going back ... sadly, as it was the last of the lot.

4. Left Hand

Left Hand Senior member

Ok, thanks a lot Michael. I just wanted to make sure.

5. FranSuitman

FranSuitman Active Member

Version for beginners.

Natural way to do it. It needs practice or to have a lucky day.

I hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  6. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Thank you sir. Also my tie is a 3" inch grenadine tie...should a tie at that width still have a dimple?

7. FranSuitman

FranSuitman Active Member

Yes, it can, although it won't look as beautiful as in wider ties.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

9. kfff

kfff New Member

wrong place, sorry!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  10. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Maybe try to steam it?

11. mark50

mark50 New Member

what is this shirt style called? thank you![​IMG]

12. indianshaft

indianshaft Senior member

Looks like a crew neck shirt and shawl collar cardigan sweater.

13. indianshaft

indianshaft Senior member

Is ballantyne the same as ballantyne of peebles?

14. ryim3046

ryim3046 Member

Hi everyone,

I ran across this forum just now while searching for what a perfect shoe fit entails.

I just graduated college a few months ago started a new job as an analyst a couple weeks ago. Long story short, I bought two pair of shoes that were on sale, Madden Oxfords and Madden Loafers (cheap I know) to wear until I get my expenses and such figured out within the next or two.. then I will buy a nice pair like you all (AE's are very nice).

I attached two pictures of the loafers (worn for a week) and oxfords (haven't worn yet).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first picture is where the creases occur and I have about an inch from the end of toes to the tip. Are the creases suppose to fold there even though the quality is very cheap? The shoes are extremely comfortable but I think they might be a 1/2in too long.

The second picture where my finger is pointing is where my toe ends and the 2nd red line below is where my toe knuckles are...

Sorry for the long post but the creases in the first picture are getting on my nerves even though they are inevitable. I learned a lot while I surfed tonight on how to take care of shoes and what not (cedar shoes!).

I too will start collecting shoes as well. It's time to collect big boy stuff!

Thanks in advance!

15. Serious101

Serious101 New Member

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=12310
    It is somewhat similar to the BB#4:
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/BB#4-Repp-Tie/A241,default,pd.html

But is it still a little too bright?

I hear solid light blue is not quite 100% conservative, and TheTieBar did not appear to have any conservative Gray ties (another recommendation I read).

Is this one good? It is really hard for me to tell how a tie is going to look until I have it in person without camera / monitor distortion and have it tied on me lol.

I cannot afford anything too expensive, and I was looking for conservative alternatives to the Burgundy (already have one) for a solid navy blue interview suit.

16. dreamhope

dreamhope Senior member

Apparently, I'm not allowed to start new threads any more. So here's the thing:

Are this guy's items all fake?

This is the guy: http://www.ebay.com/sch/caffeteo/m....h=item35c2aea175&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I'm guessing his Borrelli jeans are all fake.

His Kiton suits appear to be canvassed, but I think I see at least one buttonhole that's not handmade.

How do you think?

I wanted to open a poll but something's happened to my account.

17. dreamhope

dreamhope Senior member

my post still hasn't been approved, but I think I'm more confident now that this guy's Kiton's and Borrelli's are fakes.

For the jackets, I'd expect 'Kiton' all over the lining and, when it's 200s, a tag that says 13 micron.

I'm also not sure the construction is Neapolitan.

weird: this one does need approval? because no link?

anyway, the guy is on ebay; check him out: caffeteo

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  18. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

That's what happens with these square toed things, the toe box is usually much longer than your foot and it has to flex somewhere.

19. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

I personally wouldn't worry about creases in your shoes as long as the rest is shined properly. It's true that the creases on your square-toed shoes there are a little oddly placed, but you shouldn't worry too much about them. Deep creases are signs of an active wearer, and are akin to battle scars on an antique bayonet. Wear your heavily creased shoes with pride.

20. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

They also look like they might be corrected grain. If they weren't they would likely still crease in the same places, but the creases wouldn't look as bad since they wouldn't have that horrible plastic-like look to them.