Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Not really. It's possible to shorten a coat, but it reduces the gap between the bottom of the coat and the pockets and buttoning point so it should only be done by a small amount. Reducing all the way from R to S may be too much. Also, although it's possible, I wouldn't say it's "easy", so it's not going to be a cheap alteration.

2. Essential

Essential Senior member

Oh. Would a 35R fit well or would a 38S be better (expensive to fix chest?)?

And would the AE Parliament in black look well with it?

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I would think that the shoulders on a 38s would make it cost inefficient to alter.

4. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Affiliate Vendor

Hey Gauss17,

I dont find either combination hideous. More likely than not, it is the bad lighting that is detracting from what tie truly compliments the shirt. Given that this is a lavender shirt, and that the dominant color in the second option tie seems to be an olive color, I would go with option 2, as olive compliments lavender well. Also, what is very important in matching ties and shirts is to ensure that the background colors of the tie either match or complement the shirt. In this case, the background colors of the second tie appear to more closely resemble lavender than with the first tie. Hope this helps.

5. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Neither; find somewhere that sells the right size or you will just regret the purchase. If you look around you should be able to find somewhere that sells a 36S, which might be okay as it's not too hard to have the chest brought in a little bit.

Last edited: May 1, 2012

6. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Right.

7. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

why not get a 36r? or 36S?

8. rdstour

rdstour Senior member

I just bought a Harris Tweed Ludlow Blazer in 40R and it's a little too big. I can wear 38Rs in the Ludlow, but it's a little tighter than I would like.
    Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to try to get the blazer tailored or better off selling it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In terms of the fit I can say that:
    1. The shoulders are a little wider
    2. There's fabric bunching where the sleeves meet the jacket back, around the armpit area
    3. The waist is a little loose.

Obviously, I won't waste my time trying to get the shoulders tailored, but the local tailor tells me he can slim down the back and add some waist suppression.
    He can't suppress too much, or it'll look hokey with the too-wide shoulders.
    So what do you guys think?

Thanks!

9. Essential

Essential Senior member

Suit Supply's smallest S size is 38.

Are you guys sure 35R won't fit? I presume a 35/36 chest will fit perfectly while the only minor concession is that I need to get a R. I believe the difference between R and S is very negligible (like 1 inch); it's hard to find a suit of such quality for the price. If anything, can't you shorten the jacket slightly with the tailor or will it be too expensive?

10. bmcgee6

bmcgee6 New Member

How much can the waist of a pants be brought in? I am looking at a suit and the waist of the pants measures 36" and I wear a 32. Is it possible to bring them in 4 inches?

Thanks for the help

11. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Affiliate Vendor

12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

it is possible but there are considerations.... are you getting them for a great deal and willing to pay a bit more for the tailoring? this isn't a simple nip & tuck. also it depends on the skill of the tailor. a few months ago I found a random pair of 100% virgin wool Burberry trousers in a 34 at Nordy Rack for $28. the fabric alone is worth twice that. so I bought them and had my guy re-cut them and size them down to 31. cost me $50 but he does fabulous work and all together for $80 I have a great pair of pants. it's all relative. I have a hard time finding stuff to fit me in my current location, they retail for over three times that price and I liked them so what the hell. in short it can be done but for a suit I would wonder why the disparity in the jacket and pant sizes?

13. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

You'll have to also take in the seat too, don't forget that...

Anyway, I'd go so far as to say that 4" is too much. It'll throw off the balance of the pants. I can imagine the pockets and side seem will be pushed back beyond the sides of your waist.

Also, +1 to Kid Nickels. My old tailor in Philly, Centofanti, always did an amazing job cleaning up the seat and waist in my pants. My skinny butt looks much better when there's no fabric hanging off my seat hah.

Last edited: May 1, 2012

14. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

In general, up to about 2 inches. 1 inch is almost never a problem, and 2 inches is often possible. Much more than that, and you leave the world of simple alterations, and enter the world of major clothing surgery. 

I would suggest you look elsewhere. While anything's possible - particularly if your standards are low, or your willingness to spend money high - it's almost never worth buying a pair of pants that are 4 inches too large. If you wear size 32 pants, buy size 32 pants, or reasonably close to that size.
    --
    Michael

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

exactly :nodding: