• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out whether or not these are made of shell cordovan. I only have access to those pictures and it's not written ''Shell Cordovan'' anywhere. They are new-old-stock from Craddock-Terry company (1904-1980s). I know they used to make some shell cordovan shoes. They have a leather sole with Biltrite heels. I thought that since it was a norwegian split toe style from many years ago, hence a dress boots , and also from the creases that we can see in the picture - even though they are ''new', that these could be made using Shell Cordovan.

Any help would be appreciated!

100% NOT shell cordovan.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Neos

Reaction score
Question: What's the difference between Michael Drake ties and Drake's of London ties? If it just says Drake does that mean its a Drake's of London tie?

claerion

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a few shirts, I'm 5'11 and 135-140, being slim I haven't found a shirt that fits well OTR (not complaining). My question is, when buying a shirt I'm going to need to get it altered no matter the cut, so does it matter if it is regular fit vs slim/trim/tailored etc. fit? As long as they fit in the shoulders is there anything else I should be looking for that slim/trim/tailored etc. that the traditional fit doesn't have?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking into buying a few shirts, I'm 5'11 and 135-140, being slim I haven't found a shirt that fits well OTR (not complaining). My question is, when buying a shirt I'm going to need to get it altered no matter the cut, so does it matter if it is regular fit vs slim/trim/tailored etc. fit? As long as they fit in the shoulders is there anything else I should be looking for that slim/trim/tailored etc. that the traditional fit doesn't have?

As long as it fits in the neck (collar size) and shoulders, a tailor can pretty much fix the rest.

bryson

Reaction score
There's a Burberry Prorsum military-style coat in my local Burberry Outlet. It's 100% wool, has an all black Prorsum tag, and is marked made in Italy. Sizing is numeric, not S/M/L. There's no check pattern anywhere. It's an unbelted trench coat in green with large cuffs and five buttons per cuff, three button adjustment in back, and buttons running down the vent. I don't know what it's called.

The tag says original price is $2,495 USD, it's marked down to $899.

First, is this actually Prorsum? The lady said that all the stuff in the outlet store was moved from the real store, none of it was made specifically for the outlet. But I have no reason to believe she's invested in this job or know what she's talking about.

Second, is that a good deal? It's the only Prorsum thing I saw in the store, and they had 6 of them all in the same size.

Third, does anybody have any idea what this coat is called? Google tells me it may be a "Great Coat" from the 2010 line, but I can't find any pictures.

It's actually pretty similar to this in style, except it's more defined, and more conservative I would say. The lapels lay down flat and are more squarish, and the buttons go straight up and down instead of at an outward angle...

Last edited:

likeaboss

Reaction score
If suede and water do not go together then why does it seem like everyone is busting out the suede shoes as winter rolls in? Or is it that suede is more of a fall shoe, before the worry of wet snow comes? Or do you all just live in places where wet snow is not a worry? Please school me; I'm still learning.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

If suede and water do not go together then why does it seem like everyone is busting out the suede shoes as winter rolls in? Or is it that suede is more of a fall shoe, before the worry of wet snow comes? Or do you all just live in places where wet snow is not a worry? Please school me; I'm still learning.

Suede and water are not enemies. This is a normal misconception. Suede is actually quite durable and stands up to rain and other moisture well. While it might not be advisable to have suede snow boots it is far from correct to say that suede and water do not go together.

For further support, have a look at how Leffot (and I) clean suede:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

FWIW, I also wear suede year-round. However, I tend to wear darker suede as the weather gets colder (i.e. sand in summer, snuff in fall and chocolate in winter).

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

There's a Burberry Prorsum military-style coat in my local Burberry Outlet. It's 100% wool, has an all black Prorsum tag, and is marked made in Italy. Sizing is numeric, not S/M/L. There's no check pattern anywhere. It's an unbelted trench coat in green with large cuffs and five buttons per cuff, three button adjustment in back, and buttons running down the vent. I don't know what it's called.

The tag says original price is $2,495 USD, it's marked down to $899. 

First, is this actually Prorsum? The lady said that all the stuff in the outlet store was moved from the real store, none of it was made specifically for the outlet. But I have no reason to believe she's invested in this job or know what she's talking about.

Second, is that a good deal? It's the only Prorsum thing I saw in the store, and they had 6 of them all in the same size.

Third, does anybody have any idea what this coat is called? Google tells me it may be a "Great Coat" from the 2010 line, but I can't find any pictures. 

It's actually pretty similar to this in style, except it's more defined, and more conservative I would say. The lapels lay down flat and are more squarish, and the buttons go straight up and down instead of at an outward angle...

Sounds like it's Prorsum to me. Prorsum is Burberry's fashion-forward line (in fact, Prorsum means "forward" in Latin). Because of this the pieces generally do not feature the Nova Check pattern you see on a lot of London and Brit stuff. They are generally aggressively styled and flirt the line between runway and retail.

I personally don't own any Prorsum so I cannot speak to the quality. However, I have read here and elsewhere that the quality is generally good. Probably not good enough to justify retail, but at a fraction of MSRP I think it constitutes a decent deal. If in doubt, generally authentic Prorsum stuff carries this logo:

Finally, it sounds like you might well be looking at a great coat. For a quick check, here's what a Great Coat should look like (traditionally). If the coat doesn't look quite like that then you might have something similar to a Polo Coat. Either way it sounds like a cool purchase. If you decide to buy it wear it in good health.

Last edited:

wogmail

Reaction score

The tag you described is exactly how my Prorsum tags are. Prorsum is Burberry's highest/runway line - I don't think they would make it specifically for an outlet store. Their retail pricing is very high, in my experience.

I would say it is all about the fit, and the quality. Don't buy for the "brand."

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the cut/fabric of this suit but am dropping a few pounds and don't want to invest in a new suit just yet. Can anyone recommend designers who make suits of this style so I'll have options when the time comes? Maybe that'll make me feel better for not grabbing it while it's on sale...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads