Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

How on earth do you expect us to tell anything about the cut or style from that picture? It just looks like any other navy suit to me.

2. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Does Suitsupply ever have sales?

3. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

The picture is also a link to the item's page on the Ted Baker site.

4. badsha

badsha Senior member

Going to NY. Need help finding the shoe shop that does MTO Alden, semi-bespoke in NY. It was NOT the Alden shop itself.

5. bryson

bryson Member

I haven't been wearing good clothes long enough to know the brands I should and shouldn't care about. I just want it because it fits me awesome, and I'm IN THE MILITARY so I like the style. But I have read a lot of negative stuff here regarding Burberry and their reputation (what's a Chav?), and I wasn't clear on whether it being made in Italy means that some other company made it for them.

So Burberry stuff is generally, in the Prorsum line, considered to be high quality? And does Made In Italy matter?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. classics

classics Active Member

I must admit that I have learned a lot here about dress shoes especially British shoes. This brings me to my next logical question.

• Can you give me an idea about the British companies making good suits for Gentlemen.
    • As an example the dress shoe starts with Loake (and their lovely 1880 collection) and then goes on to Grenson, Cheaney, Trickers, climbs up to Church & goes further up to Crockett&Jones.
    • Can a similar analogy be applied to British Suiting as well? I know for some it is a matter of personal choice, but can anyone give me a rough idea about where to start? Kindly also include the relative price range vs quality of the different brands.

Thanks!

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, there is nothing definitive saying that shoes go up in that order. There are just tiers really. Mostly what you posted would be mid-ish tier English shoes. Suits are even harder to rank because of even more variations of style and silhouette. I would basically say the classification for British suits would be more like British brands vs. Savile Row Tailoring Houses. Many British branded suits are not actually made in England, just styled so. What price range are you looking in?

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Not good with analogies, but if your going for British styling, Savile Row has everything you need. Plan to spend at least $5,000 though...

9. patrickBOOTH

Not true. A&S is much less.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

That's good news, i'll have to make a trip there sooner than expected then :D

11. classics

classics Active Member

Thanks for the replies!

You are correct that I have basically mentioned mid tier British shoe brands & that speaks exactly as far as I can go for suits as well.

As far as shoes are concerned, I would rather stop at Crockett&Jones as my fine pair of shoes and as another forum member has posted will definitely not venture into the $5000 price tag

As I have mentioned a few shoe makers' names, give me a few names in suitings as well.

Thanks

12. patrickBOOTH

If you don't want to venture into four figures for suits I would say you are SOL. Maybe ask member TTO, he gets some nice suits in London.

13. classics

classics Active Member

Well as a matter of fact it will be my very first suit & would like to play a bit safe before venturing into high end!

I am new here & very quickly found out what I wanted as far as footwear is concerned, not to mention the quality of shoes like C&J is top notch.

This led me to believe that there must be similar standing as far as mens' suiting is concerned, but it seems a bit more complicated than that!

Looking forward to your views!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  14. patrickBOOTH

It is much, much more complicated.

15. classics

classics Active Member

Can we draw a line somewhere, lets say for now if we stay around $1000, can I get something close in suiting what I get in C&J shoe? Again some names would be really helpful