1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Senior member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Looks like it hasn't been available for a few months, though it wouldn't be a bad choice at all. Charcoal is a conservative and thus versatile color, great for a first suit. I would caution against three button suits on shorter guys (as one myself), however. The smaller v in the chest, at least on me, emphasizes smallness. I have a three button suit, and even though it's a true three button, I wear it like a three-roll two, ignoring the top button. Oddly though, I do fine with vests, and if you did get a three piece suit, not wearing the vest, at least on occasion, would be a mistake.

3. stupendous

stupendous Senior member

Singapore by way of Manila, Hong Kong and Californ
    My boss swears by lighter fluid - and it worked for me for the most part....

4. stupendous

stupendous Senior member

amen!

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Actually not a bad idea (the tie cleaning issue, right?). It's straight up naptha, which used to be used as a dry cleaning solvent before they realized how dangerous it was to be constantly exposed to the stuff (small doses, whatever). Not to mention the flammability.

You'll also find it in the camping aisle under the name "white gas". Using that to spot clean is a pretty good bet.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  6. stupendous

stupendous Senior member

7. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior member

What color tie with this shirt? Can't figure it out, was thinking black.
    [​IMG]

8. TheloniusDrunk

TheloniusDrunk Senior member

I'm looking at some trousers by Howard Yount, and I was wondering what the difference between the Nailhead wool pants and the tropical wool pants?

9. poissa

poissa Senior member

I'm looking to get several pairs of no-show socks for the summer. I want wool. Is this possible? Any e-retailer suggestions appreciated.

10. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  11. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

12. CousinDonuts

13. CousinDonuts

With an orange shirt? well....black looks like halloween, green would look like a plant or vegetable, red looks like the circus, pink is a no, yellow is a no, purple might also look weird, so maybe blue? Maybe gray? It's a really casual color, probably better equipped for a navy blazer and khaki trousers. Flair it up with a pocket square. Just my 2 cents....

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  14. poissa

poissa Senior member

Thanks. Would you get loafer socks to wear with oxfords or just go with the standard ones you guys are telling me about?

15. CousinDonuts

I love this Howard Yount gun club jacket but my size was gone before I found it. If anyone knows of a similar jacket in the same price area or lower please let me know. thanks

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nailhead has a distinct nailhead pattern, whereas tropical is generally lighter in weight and either has a plain weave, or open weave. Most likely it is just a lightweight plain weave.

17. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

And since we're on about Howard Yount - is there a bricks and mortar shop somewhere (NYC?) or is it all online a la Kent Wang?

18. stupendous

stupendous Senior member

another question...

Am looking at purchaseing two 'really good' pairs of shoes - one in a brown wingtip (prefer burnished), and one black captoe (no broging). I have different sized feet - basically wearing 10-10.5 EEE in AEs. I have been doing research, and am looking at the following brands - Church's, EG, DiBianco, G&G, Grenson's, C&J and Cleverley. I know that prices vary widely, and was hoping to spend between 500 to just shy of 1000 USD per pair. Looking at this as an investment [​IMG]

How do the different brands fit? I guess I am looking for G widths....I like DiBianco's style and the squarish toe of the Cleverley shoes, as well as the Inverness of EG. So many choices! Any feedback on fit - which one seems wider/narrower, quality vs value, and anything else.

Also heard that there aren't too many stockists in SoCal - leather Soul is one(?), as well as Barney's? Anyway, thanks in advance guys! [​IMG]

19. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Leather Soul gets my resounding endorsement. Bryan and Joel are very helpful. Barneys does not stock C&J if that's what you want. I checked earlier this year. They are available online and at the NY store.

20. TheloniusDrunk

TheloniusDrunk Senior member

In regards to Howard Yount trousers - how much room is there in the waist to let out?