• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Scotty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by payoffwizard
My suits have pleated trousers. Bad or classic?

I do prefer flatfront, as my odd dress pants are flatfront.

Just optional. What you prefer/fits you better.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by payoffwizard
My suits have pleated trousers. Bad or classic?

I do prefer flatfront, as my odd dress pants are flatfront.

Flat front is more in style as pleats are seen as an old man look, but you can probably get away with it.

Seattlite

Reaction score
Question: I'm attending an outdoor wedding in Brooklyn this summer, and trying to hit a "formal picnic" look. My initial thought is khaki or white trousers, with a light shirt, brighter tie, and a brown sport coat. Am I on the right track, or should I go back to the drawing board?

TQ Smooth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Looks like a moderately heavy flannel, the pattern is a glen plaid. Shouldn't be all that hard to find, and pretty easy if you're having it made. Certainly it's very possible that that's a suit, and if not would look great as one.

And if you find one, odds are that it'll be on sale with the rest of the winter stock.

But for a july wedding, a flannel suit isn't smart. You can find that pattern and color in other fabrics- Brooks Brothers has one in their Golden fleece (top end) line. Not quite the same check, but:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

3 pc: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Thanks, those suits were pretty close. I failed to mention that i live in Australia, so July is in the middle of our winter, so a heavier material would be ideal. Thanks for your help

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was the general rule for suit lapels and ties? That lapels cannot be wider than the tie? or the other way around? I forget.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reposting part of an earlier, unanswered post- Is there inherently material in the sleeve to lengthen from the shoulder? I am looking at a canvassed suit on here, with working buttons and it will need some adjustments. Thank you

cad_and_bounder

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster. Got this MTM suit, but something is wrong with it. I just can't put my finger on it. Any ideas?

I think the sides need to be taken in. I also think the shoulders are too big.

Thanks

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
What was the general rule for suit lapels and ties? That lapels cannot be wider than the tie? or the other way around? I forget.

they should generally complement each other. Wide lapels wider tie and vice versa

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cad_and_bounder
Long time reader, first time poster. Got this MTM suit, but something is wrong with it. I just can't put my finger on it. Any ideas?

I think the sides need to be taken in. I also think the shoulders are too big.

Thanks

The whole thing looks to be too large. Definitely in the shoulders and waist.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reynard369
I'm looking for slim-cut trousers, solid and pinstripes, anyone have any suggestions?

Bueller? Bueller?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gauss17
Does Allen Edmonds make a plain toe balmoral? I can't find one on their web page?

Not to my knowledge.

The Shelton is a saddle shoe.

Farmgate

Reaction score
I just bought a Billy Reid jacket and had second thoughts about the pants...they're baggy and I feel like an ice cream salesman.

Can I wear the jacket separately, with raw denim jeans or contrasting pants, or does it look too much like an orphaned suit jacket?

Thanks, pics are attached.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matty D
I posted this question a couple pages back, decided I need pictures to get the help I need. I'm going to a wedding in a week and need help deciding what to wear. Option A is a black suit. Does this knit tie work/is it appropriate? If so, what other other shirts would work with this? I think the white looks nice, but I'm open to other options since I need to buy more shirts anyways. Any suggestion?

sd0H5.jpg

Option B is a grey blazer. I don't have any pants here to match to this, so that's a problem. What kind of pants would work with this, and would this sort of mixing and matching be appropriate to wear to a wedding? The GF thinks it isn't.

RFwol.jpg

I don't really think that tie is best for a wedding. Don't you have a solid navy or black knit tie? Those would work (barring a proper silver wedding necktie). I think a white shirt you're wearing is good, honestly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads