Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mmmmpay

mmmmpay Senior member

I'll be a teacher in the fall, and I want to invest in a nice pair of shoes to replace the Rockports that got me through being a student.

My question: Does being on my feet all day on a hard tile surface while not likely wearing a suit make investing in a fine pair of dress shoes impractical? Will I be replacing my soles too frequently? Will the relative lack of comfort be magnified by standing? Will a nice pair of shoes seem out of place when I'm not likely to dress beyond slacks and a sport coat, with a fair amount of cotton khaki wearing going on?

A lot of concerns, yes, but I also would like a nice pair of shoes. I guess what I'm wondering is whether anyone has personal experience with those concerns and can say, "I spent a lot of money shoes but I wear them far less than I anticipated and no longer feel like they were a necessary purchase."

Thanks!

2. nohio

nohio Senior member

Bueller? Bueller?

What kind of pants? Price range? Etc. Basically everyone now carries slim plants:
    Gap, J. Crew, Uniqlo, Dockers

Better:
    Epaulet, Howard Yount, Brooks Brothers Milano cut, Mabitex, Incotex

3. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

I

My question: Does being on my feet all day on a hard tile surface while not likely wearing a suit make investing in a fine pair of dress shoes impractical? Will I be replacing my soles too frequently? Will the relative lack of comfort be magnified by standing? Will a nice pair of shoes seem out of place when I'm not likely to dress beyond slacks and a sport coat, with a fair amount of cotton khaki wearing going on?

It's not like you'll be walking miles and miles every day. So sole wear shouldn't be a huge issue.

Good well fitted shoes aren't uncomfortable.

Bigger issue. Are you asking about buying one pair? One pair will get beat up fairly quickly. Better two lesser pairs of shoes then one really nice pair.

There are nice shoes that would look out of place. There are nice shoes that would fit right in. It's about picking the right shoe.

4. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

What do you/we think of this briefcase from J Peterman:

13.25" x 16.25" x 4.25". $575; Lariat Leather

[​IMG]

Nice or overpriced?

I think there may be better options or that price

5. joonian

joonian Senior member

Who makes a dark (navy/charcoal or other dark colour) solid, seersucker jacket

And, what do people think of a solid coloured, double-breasted seersucker coat?

6. juvefan

juvefan Senior member

Who makes a dark (navy/charcoal or other dark colour) solid, seersucker jacket

And, what do people think of a solid coloured, double-breasted seersucker coat?

Ridonculous

7. Whoisjohngalt415

Whoisjohngalt415 New Member

Hello folks, I have a question about suit tailoring. I recently bought an Armani blazer from a dept store and the sleeves are too long. Because of the unique stitching and buttons, I can't alter the sleeve length from the cuffs. So the tailor at Nordstroms told me he could shorten the sleeves from the shoulder, by taking off the sleeve and cutting it from that end. He made it sound like it was an easy fix, but I'm a little wary. Seems like a pretty treacherous concept. How risky is this? I feel like removing the entire sleeve and re-sewing the shoulder might result in a different or tighter fit around the arm holes, bunching at the shoulder, or just a different look where the sleeve meets the shoulders. Any experience with this? Should I just trust a Nordstrom tailor or take it to an outside tailor? I love the jacket fit and don't want to ruin it for a half inch on the cuffs. Thanks.

8. 1up

1up Senior member

Couple questions about suit alterations.

Is it possible to taper the opening of a suit pant's leg opening, I'm guessing no, correct? The leg opening on a suit I purchased a while ago is too flared for my liking - is there anything I can do?

Also, how should a jacket fit in terms of depth from the body. The jacket fits great in the shoulders/sleeves, but I feel like it's too baggy and there's too much room. Is there a good rule of thumb? A fist's distance between the jacket and my chest perhaps? More or less?

Thanks!

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Couple questions about suit alterations.

Is it possible to taper the opening of a suit pant's leg opening, I'm guessing no, correct? The leg opening on a suit I purchased a while ago is too flared for my liking - is there anything I can do?

Also, how should a jacket fit in terms of depth from the body. The jacket fits great in the shoulders/sleeves, but I feel like it's too baggy and there's too much room. Is there a good rule of thumb? A fist's distance between the jacket and my chest perhaps? More or less?

Thanks!

Yes, pants can usually be tapered. Might want to make sure you have a good tailor though, it could very easily end up looking funky if the tailor botches it.

As for fit, I've seen lots of rules of thumb. For the waist, when I button the jacket and pull the button point away from me, I like there to be about 2" of space. Hope that helps.

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Bueller? Bueller?

Many Mabitex threads in B&S.
    [​IMG]

11. 1up

1up Senior member

Yes, pants can usually be tapered. Might want to make sure you have a good tailor though, it could very easily end up looking funky if the tailor botches it.

As for fit, I've seen lots of rules of thumb. For the waist, when I button the jacket and pull the button point away from me, I like there to be about 2" of space. Hope that helps.

Quite helpful, thank you. If there is significantly more room than I would like (let's say as opposed to 2", something like 4"), is there anything I can do in an alteration in this sense?

Thanks!

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Quite helpful, thank you. If there is significantly more room than I would like (let's say as opposed to 2", something like 4"), is there anything I can do in an alteration in this sense?

Thanks!

If the extra room is in the waist (buttoning point) of the jacket, that's a very easy and common alteration. Don't think I've ever bought a suit or jacket that didn't need to be taken in at the waist. If it's too roomy in the chest (above the buttoning point), that's not something that can be fixed unfortunately.

13. karmaguy

karmaguy Senior member

So I'm a college student looking to buy a good, new suit. Obviously needs to be versitle, so navy or grey, but what do you guys recommend? I considered J. Crew but a friend told me to just save up some more and grab a BB's suit.

Advice?

14. barzen

barzen Well-Known Member

15. barzen

barzen Well-Known Member

Well, I answered one of my questions: $24.99 is the starting bid with 5 days to go.