• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Kevin24

Reaction score
Where can I find a decently made turtleneck sweater for sub-$100?

I ask, as the answer seems quite elusive to me.

papado

Reaction score
Where can I find a decently made turtleneck sweater for sub-$100?

I ask, as the answer seems quite elusive to me.

Spier & Mackay merino turtlenecks are 58 each (48/each if you buy 2+) and have been good so far if you're looking for a budget option

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't nice dress pants have stretchy waists yet?

My weight fluctuates throughout the year, usually 10-15 lb difference between summer and winter. Makes having nicely fitting looking trousers very difficult. Im not talking sweat pants stretchy...just a little give and pull to help with fluctuations.

mercury

Reaction score
If you had 5 free days in Europe, would you rather visit:
a) Budapest (3 days)/Vienna (2 days), I'd end up trying on shoes for sizing
b) Naples, where I'd be eating pizza and seeing if I can get measured up for trousers

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What time of the year?

Kevin24

Reaction score
Spier & Mackay merino turtlenecks are 58 each (48/each if you buy 2+) and have been good so far if you're looking for a budget option

I just pulled the trigger on a navy turtleneck from Speir & Mackay.

Sizing wise I tend to fluctuate between a medium and a large. How do Spier and Mackay's sweaters typically fit?

papado

Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on a navy turtleneck from Speir & Mackay.

Sizing wise I tend to fluctuate between a medium and a large. How do Spier and Mackay's sweaters typically fit?

I would say they are slightly slim fitting--I am also between medium and large in standard sizing. I'm a 42 chest which would normally put someone clearly in Large (you'd think) but I need a M in Brooks Brothers and I have sweaters in IT50-52 so somehow I am inbetween. My S&M is a Large and works well save maybe I need a little more room in the chest but I would definitely feel the XL is way too large. Their sizing chart gives exact measurements so I would have suggested you check that before you order

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
S

September

Personal preference would be Vienna and Budapest. Both beautiful and very enjoyable cities, a good range of things to do and some sartorial highlights in both. But it does also depend on whether you ‘need’ shoes more than trousers, and whether you want the coastal setting of Naples.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side Adjusters

Yes but do pants with side adjusters also sometimes come with belt loops? I'm in a work environment where side adjusters are 'too much' sartorially. I need to dress nice but can't/don't want to be known as that guy - regardless if side adjusters are nearly as old as suits are, they aren't that way in today's American business environment.

JohnnyMarr

Reaction score
Anyone got any knowledge of Bugatti coats? Comments on quality and provenance would be useful. I'm not expecting great things, but there's a reasonably good looking overcoat on sale near me that would do me for this winter at least.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you consider the year-round staple/must have trouser colors/fabrics/patterns, that would be worn with SCs?

Last edited:

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes but do pants with side adjusters also sometimes come with belt loops? I'm in a work environment where side adjusters are 'too much' sartorially. I need to dress nice but can't/don't want to be known as that guy - regardless if side adjusters are nearly as old as suits are, they aren't that way in today's American business environment.
Don't get side adjusters then even though I don't think people really care about such a small detail... just get 4 trousers, 2 in each size that fit you... I don't think there is any way around it unless you get lululemon yoga pants:)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads