• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes but do pants with side adjusters also sometimes come with belt loops? I'm in a work environment where side adjusters are 'too much' sartorially. I need to dress nice but can't/don't want to be known as that guy - regardless if side adjusters are nearly as old as suits are, they aren't that way in today's American business environment.

Unless your company has an actual uniform, no one will notice if you have a belt or not as long as your pants actually fit. Your fears are unfounded.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
I need a dress shirt and am split between Zegna (Trofeo) and RLPL. Which is better in terms of construction?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless your company has an actual uniform, no one will notice if you have a belt or not as long as your pants actually fit. Your fears are unfounded.

I think this advice is misguided. I have, two or three times in 25 years, forgotten to wear a belt to work. Every single time it has happened I have had multiple people mention it to me.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you wear a suit? A lot of suits of course are not meant to be worn with a belt, as a sign that they are tailored correctly. Also, if you've worn the same thing with a belt for 25 years that may predispose people to ask if you've forgotten yours the one or two times that you do neglect one. ;)

JFK_88

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

Was thinking of combining a heather grey RL 67 herringbone wool sport coat with a light blue oxford shirt, charcoal flannel wool pants and dark brown C&J cordovan loafers for a rustic, yet elegant enough look for work. The only thing missing is a really beautiful, dark navy/midnight (navy) color tie.

Unicolor shantung silk or grenadine or woven would in priciple be ok...but a bit boring in my view. So i am searching for a beautiful midnight color tie with a grey geometric or floral pattern. Been looking for something like this for years until I found my absolute dream tie and bought it via Ebay, but then the vendor told me that he can't find it anymore and refunded me. Totally dismayed but nothing I could do.

So since then looking for the same kind of Brioni tie that sort of keeps eluding me. Maybe anyone knows of a good alternative? I know of Shibumi, Viola Milano, David Hober and Drake's, but none of them really had something that comes close to this. Take a look, would deeply appreciate your feedback in case you have seen something similiar out there and or would know how I could get my hands on this after all.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 16
  • s-l16002.jpg
    s-l16002.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 181
  • s-l16003.jpg
    s-l16003.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 196

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you wear a suit? A lot of suits of course are not meant to be worn with a belt, as a sign that they are tailored correctly. Also, if you've worn the same thing with a belt for 25 years that may predispose people to ask if you've forgotten yours the one or two times that you do neglect one. ;)

There are only about 5 days a year when anyone in my office wears a suit. I understand the intent behind side adjusters, or no belt. I'm just saying that most people working in an office will in fact notice if someone isn't wearing a belt, because belts are the default.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

Was thinking of combining a heather grey RL 67 herringbone wool sport coat with a light blue oxford shirt, charcoal flannel wool pants and dark brown C&J cordovan loafers for a rustic, yet elegant enough look for work. The only thing missing is a really beautiful, dark navy/midnight (navy) color tie.

Unicolor shantung silk or grenadine or woven would in priciple be ok...but a bit boring in my view. So i am searching for a beautiful midnight color tie with a grey geometric or floral pattern. Been looking for something like this for years until I found my absolute dream tie and bought it via Ebay, but then the vendor told me that he can't find it anymore and refunded me. Totally dismayed but nothing I could do.

So since then looking for the same kind of Brioni tie that sort of keeps eluding me. Maybe anyone knows of a good alternative? I know of Shibumi, Viola Milano, David Hober and Drake's, but none of them really had something that comes close to this. Take a look, would deeply appreciate your feedback in case you have seen something similiar out there and or would know how I could get my hands on this after all.

I know you said Navy, but I think this one would look great with grey herrringbone:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nippie

Reaction score
Hi there, I was wondering about buying a pair of Prada brogues (the classic ones made back in 2010 or so), but apparently they don't make them anymore, so my only option is to buy from ebay/grailed etc. Does anybody know when they stoped making them? I just can't find any information about them. Thanks

KDE

Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions for lower budget MTM sports coats in NYC. I was thinking about going with suit supply which starts at $650. My body shape is too far away from average to find a jacket that fits close enough where minor alterations will be enough.

papado

Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions for lower budget MTM sports coats in NYC. I was thinking about going with suit supply which starts at $650. My body shape is too far away from average to find a jacket that fits close enough where minor alterations will be enough.

SuSu is good if you fit well in their stock patterns (I think MTM is based off the lazio back when I used to go there); if you're saying you are far away from fitting into standard jackets you may run into issues there and I wouldn't say they are the best at fitting difficult body shapes. Do you have a specific budget you want to stick to? I also think SuSu always lists the lowest priced cottons on the website as starting price so I'd venture a decent wool coat may be a little more than that $650 number quoted, unless you've already confirmed in-store that the basic VBC 110s start at that price point

KDE

Reaction score
SuSu is good if you fit well in their stock patterns (I think MTM is based off the lazio back when I used to go there); if you're saying you are far away from fitting into standard jackets you may run into issues there and I wouldn't say they are the best at fitting difficult body shapes. Do you have a specific budget you want to stick to? I also think SuSu always lists the lowest priced cottons on the website as starting price so I'd venture a decent wool coat may be a little more than that $650 number quoted, unless you've already confirmed in-store that the basic VBC 110s start at that price point
I was told the average people pay is around $800. I don't remember the name of their cuts but I asked to try on their most relaxed/least slim fit. My shoulders are narrow and my waist is wide. I'm also very short. Suit supply offers 2 MTM adjacent options. One where they take a suit they already have and make minor scale adjustments (sleeves, body length and swapping pants). Then there's a version where they kinda draft a whole new pattern based on measurements. I didn't like that I couldn't get a clear answer on if revisions were needed that could not be easily tailored (like a shoulder being too large) would they fix it until it was right.

For context on my shape, the closest to a good fit on any sort of similar jacket is SS19 EG Bedford in xs. It's basically a normal maybe slightly too slim looking jacket on me when it's meant to be a very relaxed fit.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an embarrassingly basic question about cold weather, because I never experience it.

I’ll be somewhere that’ll be around 20-30 degrees, and down to 10(!), presumably at night. All my pants are thin — chinos, thin engineered garments cargo pants, things like that. Will a base layer/thermal underwear(?) be sufficient to fend off the cold? Is there anything else you can buy to stick under there? Or do I need snow-type pants from a sporting goods store?

I don’t need to look professional, or even good.

Suddenly freaking out as I realize just how thin all of my clothing is. Thanks!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an embarrassingly basic question about cold weather, because I never experience it.

I’ll be somewhere that’ll be around 20-30 degrees, and down to 10(!), presumably at night. All my pants are thin — chinos, thin engineered garments cargo pants, things like that. Will a base layer/thermal underwear(?) be sufficient to fend off the cold? Is there anything else you can buy to stick under there? Or do I need snow-type pants from a sporting goods store?

Depends on how long you will be spending outside. If it’s less than 15 minutes, thin trousers will be fine. I assume you have a warm coat, hat, and gloves?
if you’ll be outside for 15-60 minutes at 10-30 F then a base layer underneath, again assuming you have a proper coat/gloves/hat and socks/footwear.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depends what you're going to be doing in that weather. Sure, 10 degrees (F) will be cold especially if there's windchill involved. Unless you're planning to be hanging around outside for an extended period of time, I'd just get some thermal leggings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics