• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an embarrassingly basic question about cold weather, because I never experience it.

I’ll be somewhere that’ll be around 20-30 degrees, and down to 10(!), presumably at night. All my pants are thin — chinos, thin engineered garments cargo pants, things like that. Will a base layer/thermal underwear(?) be sufficient to fend off the cold? Is there anything else you can buy to stick under there? Or do I need snow-type pants from a sporting goods store?

I don’t need to look professional, or even good.

Suddenly freaking out as I realize just how thin all of my clothing is. Thanks!
Depends what you're going to be doing in that weather. Sure, 10 degrees (F) will be cold especially if there's windchill involved. Unless you're planning to be hanging around outside for an extended period of time, I'd just get some thermal leggings.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll be somewhere that’ll be around 20-30 degrees, and down to 10(!), presumably at night. All my pants are thin — chinos, thin engineered garments cargo pants, things like that. Will a base layer/thermal underwear(?) be sufficient to fend off the cold?
Thin merino leggings from Icebreaker would be great.

Also, be sure to wear long, over-the-calf wool socks. They can be thin, but they need to be wool.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on how long you are going to be outside. If you are attending a sporting event outdoors and will be sitting/standing for hours, you need snow pants. If you are running from car to house, you don’t need much.

If you aren’t used to it, that will be COLD. By this time in the season, I’d be fine in chinos and a sweater with an open jacket unless I was going to be outside for more than 20-30 mins.

IJReilly

Reaction score
I’m from Sweden and I would never spend a day outside in 10F without at least thermal layers (does wonders) or snow pants. You can, of course, but it’s not fun.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
What is, in general, best: Various patterned trousers with a plain jacket, various plain trousers with a patterned jacket or various plain trousers with a plain jacket? (The jacket is the 'constant' in this question and I an assuming that patterned jackets with differently patterned trousers is mostly impractical)

papado

Reaction score
What is, in general, best: Various patterned trousers with a plain jacket, various plain trousers with a patterned jacket or various plain trousers with a plain jacket? (The jacket is the 'constant' in this question and I an assuming that patterned jackets with differently patterned trousers is mostly impractical)
I'm generally against 'interesting' pants and like to keep them solid; you can play with textures and materials like flannel, linen mixes, etc. Easier to have simple pants and then you can opt for patterned jackets or plain jackets. I like having some visual interest so most of my jackets have some sort of pattern.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Any thoughts on Scarosso and Velasca shoes? Both seem to follow the made in Italy, direct to consumer model. I'd love to hear if anyone has thoughts on their leather quality, construction, and sizing.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Just one basic point. At 10-20 F, pay particular attention to your extremities: hands and feet.

HollyJoint

Reaction score
i am thinking of buying a rugby shirt again. But I find them very useful.
Will she be cool casually with a chino or jeans and a jacket over it?

Kevin24

Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a solid traditional DB trench coat for under $600? That would keep the rain out and pref a detachable liner.

Thank you!

slam

Reaction score
I found this blazer for $750. Canali, crease resistant. What can I get that is better for $750? Looking for a solid navy everyday kind of blazer for work and travel. I have a charcoal suit, and a few more colorful and fun blazers and suits. But looking for a quality staple, primarily for work and meeting with clients. Suggestions?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 79 17.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 151 32.8%
  • 8”

Votes: 135 29.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 52 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 2.0%