• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

waitwhat

Reaction score
Hello, I have a question about stains and fabric weaves. Does the weave (ie. oxford, twill, etc.) affect things like getting a ring around the collar and cuff stains? I have rediscovered the joy of white through a white royal oxford shirt, my first white shirt in many years, and I have noticed that I get a ring and cuff stains very easily. If possible, I would like to know some low maintenance options.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto_pilot
My heel tends to grind down on the right, back side...how do you remedy that?

I have the same thing. Back outside corner of the heel, more on the right foot, correct? It think it's reasonably "normal"/common... it's probably something to do with improper gait, though if you don't feel pain/effects anywhere then I wouldn't worry too much. You can always replace your heels every once in a while.

Originally Posted by djs488
When people give shoulder measurements on jackets/suits, how are they measuring that? Is it on a hanger?

In my experience doing the measuring and seeing it done, I believe it's done across the garment as it's laid flat. So as high as possible across shoulder to shoulder. I would also maybe just go on ebay and reference a few jackets of the same size to make sure the measurement is as least in teh same ballpark.
Also check Thick as Thieves website, I believe they give a tutorial on it.

Originally Posted by waitwhat
Hello, I have a question about stains and fabric weaves. Does the weave (ie. oxford, twill, etc.) affect things like getting a ring around the collar and cuff stains? I have rediscovered the joy of white through a white royal oxford shirt, my first white shirt in many years, and I have noticed that I get a ring and cuff stains very easily. If possible, I would like to know some low maintenance options.

i'm not sure on the fabrics, I would think it doesn't make YOU sweat/stain any more but because of the pattern it just shows up more along the ridges.
I just read recently that giving your neck a quick wipe with rubbing alcohol will remove a lot of the oil and reduce the amount of ring stain...

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by waitwhat

Shout is your savior when it comes to this. It gets out my collar/sweat stains every time.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Shout is your savior when it comes to this. It gets out my collar/sweat stains every time.

+1. I get dress shirts laundered/pressed. The night before I drop it off, I Shout the collars. They always come out nice and clean.

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Invicta
Try London Tailors in Bethesda. I've used them for alterations and they advertise for custom suits so I imagine they're capable of putting in working buttons. They did excellent work on my jacket alterations.

London Tailors
7700-A Wisconson Ave.
Bethesda, MD 20814
301-656-7595

I went here yesterday to drop off the jacket to have the buttonholes put on the cuffs and I was pleased by the warm service and good value they offered. They offered me $10 a hole (that's what she said) and that it would be ready by Friday.

I'll update everyone about the final product.

thrice

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm looking for a chelsea boot to stand the norwegian winter at the coast. My width is E and lengt is 44/10. I need a boot with a sole that I can use at a slippery surface because it rains and freeze here, with a small amount of snow. I have been looking at R.M Williams. what are your thoughts?
And I am assuming E is the same as H(wide) rmwilliams.com.au?

elliottw

Reaction score
quick question plain toe oxfords: bordo or black as most versatile?

i've got a dark grey suit, raw denim, black and grey Ts, white OXBDs, grey shirts, pink ties. everything in my wardrobe is pretty much grey black or pink. could i pull off the bordo or should i stick with the black?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elliottw
quick question plain toe oxfords: bordo or black as most versatile?

i've got a dark grey suit, raw denim, black and grey Ts, white OXBDs, grey shirts, pink ties. everything in my wardrobe is pretty much grey black or pink. could i pull off the bordo or should i stick with the black?

Black is better for professional situations. Bordo would be more versatile, imho, as you can dress it up or down.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Hello all, long time lurker first time poster:

I have bought all my clothes in person so far, so it is no problem, but now that I am looking at stuff on this forum, I am curious as to WHAT and HOW I should measure.

In a suit I am 40R, that is all I know when it comes to that. A shirt I am 15.5 - 35. A shirt is a bit more straightforward I think, I usually just get a slim fit since I am a bit slim, and those two sizes. In suits though, I think there are many different measurements I should be aware of if I cannot try it on.

Could someone please tell me what the important measurements are? And also, HOW I would go on to measure them? (i.e. from where to where). Feel free to link to a good website, the problem is I find most local people are idiots and can't measure and many websites say different things.

But you guys seem to know you stuff!!

Cheers

hchc

Reaction score
I don't normally wear leather sole shoes but after one or two wears I see a lot of what appear to be gouges in the leather sole, is this normal? If not what should I do in order to protect the sole of my shoes?

calvinloke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchc
I don't normally wear leather sole shoes but after one or two wears I see a lot of what appear to be gouges in the leather sole, is this normal? If not what should I do in order to protect the sole of my shoes?

Totally normal. Either give them Topys or don't wear them.

imainish

Reaction score
I am hard on the elbow area of my shirts. Sewing at the rip has not helped. Is there an iron-on patch or something else to recommend?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imainish
I am hard on the elbow area of my shirts. Sewing at the rip has not helped. Is there an iron-on patch or something else to recommend?

Usually that means your sleeves are too short. when you put those shirts on and curl your arms, do you feel tightness in the elbow area?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads