1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. hchc

hchc Well-Known Member

I don't normally wear leather sole shoes but after one or two wears I see a lot of what appear to be gouges in the leather sole, is this normal? If not what should I do in order to protect the sole of my shoes?

2. calvinloke

calvinloke Senior member

I don't normally wear leather sole shoes but after one or two wears I see a lot of what appear to be gouges in the leather sole, is this normal? If not what should I do in order to protect the sole of my shoes?

Totally normal. Either give them Topys or don't wear them.

3. imainish

imainish Senior member

I am hard on the elbow area of my shirts. Sewing at the rip has not helped. Is there an iron-on patch or something else to recommend?

4. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

Any favorite stores in Florence?

5. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

I am hard on the elbow area of my shirts. Sewing at the rip has not helped. Is there an iron-on patch or something else to recommend?

Usually that means your sleeves are too short. when you put those shirts on and curl your arms, do you feel tightness in the elbow area?

6. imainish

imainish Senior member

Usually that means your sleeves are too short. when you put those shirts on and curl your arms, do you feel tightness in the elbow area?

The sleeve length is fine, it's from having my elbows on the desk all day.

7. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Question: How do you tell if buttons are real horn or MOP? I can often tell when they are not, but are there plastics that mimic the real thing so well that it is difficult. Is there any test like rubbing them on your teeth or fingernails or whatever?

8. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Question: How do you tell if buttons are real horn or MOP? I can often tell when they are not, but are there plastics that mimic the real thing so well that it is difficult. Is there any test like rubbing them on your teeth or fingernails or whatever?

Try and stick a heated needle into the back - if it won't go in it's MOP, if it goes in and smells of singed hair it's horn.

This won't work in a shop...

Teeth test isn't that reliable, but MOP & horn will generally feel harder.

9. KennethB

KennethB Active Member

question: what color chinos look good with tan suede desert boots? Khaki - am I in danger of looking like 'tan man' (too close to same color?). How about grey?

10. Invicta

Invicta Senior member

question: what color chinos look good with tan suede desert boots? Khaki - am I in danger of looking like 'tan man' (too close to same color?). How about grey?

You could try Olive Green and Charcoal as well.

11. hchc

hchc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help guys, one more question, what online stores can I find quality inner soles especially ones for the toe section without the back part (heel).

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I have bought all my clothes in person so far, so it is no problem, but now that I am looking at stuff on this forum, I am curious as to WHAT and HOW I should measure.
    Could someone please tell me what the important measurements are? And also, HOW I would go on to measure them? (i.e. from where to where). Feel free to link to a good website, the problem is I find most local people are idiots and can't measure and many websites say different things.

It generally ranges... but I take a number of measurements off stuff that already fits me. Take your best fitting jackets, shirts, etc and measure a few and come up with an average or so. Most important in suits is probably the shoulder width, then the chest, everything else is adjustable (within reason). shoulders, measure across a jacket lying flat... see if this helps
    hopefully someone else will chime in with more details...

Totally normal. Either give them Topys or don't wear them.
    +1, it's pretty normal... I was also worried with my first pair. Either wear them gingerly, or probably just Topy them and forget about it. note though, I've heard from some people that Topy sort of makes them "feel" a bit stiffer, like a rubber soled shoe...

13. 1969

1969 Senior member

I just picked up some NWT Incotex Super wool 150’s. A few questions-

at $60 each were these a good deal or great deal ?
    Does the finer fabric present any challenges in cuffing these?

14. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I just picked up some NWT Incotex Super wool 150's. A few questions-

at $60 each were these a good deal or great deal ?

Better than great - awesome even - congrats!

Does the finer fabric present any challenges in cuffing these?

No, some incotex come with tailor's tape to sew on the underside of the cuff (heel guard), or ask your tailor for some if you are concerned and want some added weight at the cuff.

15. 1969

1969 Senior member

el72- thanks for the tip on tailors tape. I had never heard of it (slow migration from Streetwear).

16. EL72

EL72 Senior member

el72- thanks for the tip on tailors tape. I had never heard of it (slow migration from Streetwear).

Look in the back pocket of the incos. Many of them come with it (even the Daffy's ones).

17. Aparke612

Aparke612 Well-Known Member

When looking at the measurement for the hem on pants is the number shown actually only halfway across the pant?
    for example if it says the hem is 8" is the leg opening actually 16"?

18. The Day Man

The Day Man Well-Known Member

I have a few sweaters (cashmere, wool) that spent the summer on a hanger in my closet. Now it seems like all the shoulders have a bump where the hanger stretched them. Is there any way to fix this?

19. balaskonis

balaskonis Senior member

when measuring jacket or blazer length, what does BOC stand for? I see for example:

Length BOC: 24.5 inches what does that mean?

20. EL72

EL72 Senior member

When looking at the measurement for the hem on pants is the number shown actually only halfway across the pant?
    for example if it says the hem is 8" is the leg opening actually 16"?

Yes.

I have a few sweaters (cashmere, wool) that spent the summer on a hanger in my closet. Now it seems like all the shoulders have a bump where the hanger stretched them. Is there any way to fix this?

Steam lightly and wear (or fold). Never store sweaters on hangers!!!!!!!

when measuring jacket or blazer length, what does BOC stand for? I see for example:

Length BOC: 24.5 inches what does that mean?

Jacket length is commonly measured from the Bottom of the Collar (BoC).