• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Stokely

Reaction score
Looking for a little advice. I've got a glenplaid Billy Reid suit I'd like to wear to a friend's wedding. Never rocked this pattern before. Advice? It's fairly light and muted. I'm thinking brown shoes, maybe PTB Cordovans. Should these be light or dark? Suggestions on a tie? Probably a white shirt, and don't really want to do a grey tie. Would another color be ridiculous?

Sorry if this a pleb question.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stokely
Looking for a little advice. I've got a glenplaid Billy Reid suit I'd like to wear to a friend's wedding. Never rocked this pattern before. Advice? It's fairly light and muted. I'm thinking brown shoes, maybe PTB Cordovans. Should these be light or dark? Suggestions on a tie? Probably a white shirt, and don't really want to do a grey tie. Would another color be ridiculous?

Sorry if this a pleb question.

A glen plaid suit is not particularly formal. If your friend's wedding is an evening or indoor wedding, you'll want to wear a white shirt, a dark and mostly solid tie, and black shoes to elevate the formality. If it's an afternoon or outdoor wedding, you have more options.

AE7

Reaction score
silly question: where does the silk from which silk ties are made come from? would not think that there are enough Silkworms around to produce zillions of silk ties and other garments! now, if it is not, then is there a price/quality difference if it is a silkworm made or non-silkworm made?
thanks

Stokely

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
A glen plaid suit is not particularly formal. If your friend's wedding is an evening or indoor wedding, you'll want to wear a white shirt, a dark and mostly solid tie, and black shoes to elevate the formality. If it's an afternoon or outdoor wedding, you have more options.

I understand the formal issue. Not an issue in this instance. Hell, I'm likely to be the best dressed asshole in the place. I have other suits I could wear, but I want to wear this one. It's a late afternoon wedding, but not formal at all. I think the officiant is going to be wearing a cowichan, as he is a Dudest Priest. Get my drift?

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cambel
Does anyone have experience with both Kent Wang and J. Press's grenadine ties? I'm interested in buying a navy grenadine from one or the other. Probably interested in a tighter weave though open to recommendations of one over the other. I know Kent Wang offers a 3" and 3.5" width. Does anyone know the measurements for J. Press's?
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan
J Press doesn't list it on the web store but I'm pretty sure their usual size is 3.5" (they would list a 3" tie as skinny).
I wore a black J. Press grenadine today. 3.5". Haven't bought a Hober. The Press is a relatively thick heavy tie, but quite nice.

Acer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Acer
SF approved, or are the lapels too honkin'?

461067090_o.jpg

is the button stance on this too low?? i want it, but not if its going to make people ask me if i'm an AARP member.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of decent-looking Arturo Calle suits in the thrift stores. Are they any good?

norcal_indy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've lost about 80 lbs in the past year and am cleaning out the remainder of my old clothing. I've sold pretty much all of my decent stuff (I've never owned any good/great clothing by MC standards). My old sizing was definitely XXL/50R but now I'm more like a 42/44 and still shedding pounds.

Anyway, I am wondering if it's worth the time and trouble to measure all of these pieces to list on the B&S forum. I expect it's worth doing so for the Benjamin suit from eHaberdasher but I'm inclined to take the rest of the bunch to Goodwill unless folks here think it has any chance of selling?

It didn't take much time to take and post pictures, but it would take much more time to do all the measurements and manage a thread in B&S. Thus, it'd be great to get some preliminary feedback.

Thanks!

P.S. I've learned quite a bit about clothing and style lurking here for past couple years. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy anything pictured below again (except the Benjamin suit, which was a great value, IMO). I purchase a couple of the items when I was 17 years old
smile.gif

Hart Schaffner Marx Suit from Nordstrom, 50R

Eddie Bauer Leather Jacket, XXL Tall

Bachrach Black Suit Jacket, 44R

Bachrach Wool Overcoat, XXL

Joseph Abboud Black Sportcoat, 50R

Bachrach Sportcoat, 50R

Benjamin from eHaberdasher, 48R

officeboy

Reaction score
Question about shoe trees. My understanding is that they have 2 main uses; To stretch and straighten the leather and sole after wear and to absorb moisture from the leather.

So I see these really fancy shiny wood trees. That means they have a finish on them and therefore are sealed off from the wood absorbing any moisture... Whats up with that?

officeboy

Reaction score
These are what made me think of it. Beautiful, but functionally similar to plastic in moisture absorption.

Originally Posted by NORE
rude bwoy. Me a see dat avatar an raise ya deese:

trees003.jpg

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This must have been asked many times but I can't find the answer, so here goes.

Shirt sizing - how is it done?

What is meant by a 17/ 43 (for example) shirt?

Is 17 (in inches?) the circumference of the neck? What is 43?

When someone selling a shirt says it is 17/ 43 should I ask for more measurements, such as p2p, BOC length as I would for a jacket?

A link on SF explaining all of that would also be great.

As always, thanks for your time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads