Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Ike

Ike Senior member

Thanks for the heads-up, I'm building up my professional wardrobe, and AE is one of the better options in my price range.

2. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Is this a wingtip? [​IMG]

3. tombrokaw

tombrokaw Well-Known Member

Is this a wingtip? [​IMG]

Yes of course, it has perforations and that point.

4. tombrokaw

SF approved, or are the lapels too honkin'?

I love it, for what it's worth.

5. landshark

landshark Senior member

Brown sport coat White shirt, navy tie (or a dark purple if you have to match, nothing shiny either) Wear grey trousers, dark brown shoes.

6. smarcus3

smarcus3 Member

Brown sport coat White shirt, navy tie (or a dark purple if you have to match, nothing shiny either) Wear grey trousers, dark brown shoes.

I always thought to wear a lighter color of brown like khaki pants with a brown jacket. Is this wrong?

7. tombrokaw

I always thought to wear a lighter color of brown like khaki pants with a brown jacket. Is this wrong?

Could you post pics of the ties you have?

8. smarcus3

smarcus3 Member

I believe this is all of them. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. tombrokaw

I believe this is all of them. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I would say it's down to the white, light blue or that navy you have pictured, if that's one of your ties. The khaki probably eliminates the white so it's down to the blues. Just give them both the eye test to see which one looks more appropriate. Or is that purple and not navy? If it is then that works best on the lavender shirt I think.

10. smarcus3

smarcus3 Member

I would say it's down to the white, light blue or that navy you have pictured, if that's one of your ties. The khaki probably eliminates the white so it's down to the blues. Just give them both the eye test to see which one looks more appropriate. Or is that purple and not navy? If it is then that works best on the lavender shirt I think.
    That last tie is purple with some dark dark blue kinda. Maybe like a dark plum.

11. tombrokaw

That last tie is purple with some dark dark blue kinda. Maybe like a dark plum.

I would definitely go with that then. Come to think of it that would work much better with your jacket as well. Much better than a light tie.

12. smarcus3

smarcus3 Member

With the lavender shirt I assume.

Again thanks for your help.

Just as another general question, what color slacks/shirts/ties would you wear with my brown jacket. I always end up just wearing khaki.

13. tombrokaw

With the lavender shirt I assume.

Again thanks for your help.

Just as another general question, what color slacks/shirts/ties would you wear with my brown jacket. I always end up just wearing khaki.

I would generally wear jeans myself, but you are going to an event so khakis are more appropriate. Your entire outfit is a little dressed down to wear slacks, so I wouldn't do that either. Your jacket is pretty dark so I would try to wear light pants for the contrast.

Do you have white chinos? that would look pretty sharp. Is the weather nice and warm where you are?

14. smarcus3

smarcus3 Member

Thanks. I normally wear jeans myself but the event is too formal for that.

Its actually chilling because I am heading up north, though I am not apposed to getting another pair of slacks. I have never heard of chinos. What are they / how are they different than khakis.

15. tombrokaw

Thanks. I normally wear jeans myself but the event is too formal for that. Its actually chilling because I am heading up north, though I am not apposed to getting another pair of slacks. I have never heard of chinos. What are they / how are they different than khakis.
    Same pants as khakis but just a different color. Check these out. http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/TheHer...s&origin=index They are on sale for $17 and lands end chinos are made of a soft, substantial material. I think you'd like them, but you'd generally wear white only on nice days.