Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. anxiouscowboy

anxiouscowboy Active Member

What do you guys with with your brogue boots... what goes well with a tan boot?

2. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

He's 6'8, 38 waist, no clue about jacket size. I'm assuming he need something made to measure but I don't even know where to start. Any suggestions/recommendations?

You don't mention a price range.

Is his height the only reason you're leaning towards made to measure?

3. Mac

Mac Senior member

I joined after lurking for some time, so hello everyone. My boyfriend (late 20s) has pretty much just given up and is a cheapskate when it comes to clothing to begin with. Getting him to buy new stuff is like pulling teeth. As we get older, we get invited to more weddings each year. He wore a wrinkled flannel to his last job interview. [​IMG] He needs a suit.

He's 6'8, 38 waist, no clue about jacket size. I'm assuming he need something made to measure but I don't even know where to start. Any suggestions/recommendations?

I have to remind myself it's a blessing he can't just go to the local cheapy dept. store and buy some atrocity.

I'm 6'5 with 38" waist and wear a 44L. The sleeves and overall length are perfect.

He would probably need something like a 44L/XL. He might get away with buying a 44L and lengthening the sleeves and overall length. Trouser length should just be okay, as they will come unhemmed (hopefully). If not, he'll be looking for something like a 37" inseam on the trousers.

4. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

what do u think about men wearing UGG boots?
    Only when walking from the bedroom to the bathroom

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

What do you guys with with your brogue boots... what goes well with a tan boot?

Anything that looks good with tan shoes? I'd pair them with lighter-colored jeans.

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Got a couple pair of really nice, slimmer, flat front black wool/cashmere pants. Any idea how I could casual these up a bit? They seem OK, maybe a little fashuny, for dressy occasions, but look off with my casual wardrobe. What kind of shirts should I be trying out?

Also: Horsehair belts: yes or no?

[​IMG]

7. steviecakes

steviecakes Senior member

I have a cheap sport coat from H&M that fits me very well but the shoulders are for more structured than I'd like them to be. Would a tailor be willing to take out the padding for a softer, more casual fit?

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I have a cheap sport coat from H&M that fits me very well but the shoulders are for more structured than I'd like them to be. Would a tailor be willing to take out the padding for a softer, more casual fit?

I'm wondering the same thing. I saw on someone's blog (maybe a poster here) how to remove the polyester lining from an H&M jacket for a slinkier look and cooler feel.

9. Flartchy

Flartchy Senior member

the pants are too long.
    I agree, the pants are about an inch or at least 3/4" too long. As is the jacket.

10. sonick

sonick Senior member

Can I post fit critiques here? Things I think need fixed: - Sleeve lenghth shortened about half an inch - Thigh's and leg opening taken in a tad - Jacket hips narrowed - Biceps taken in half an inch Click for full images [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

Picked up a like new navy blazer thrifting last week.. I really dislike the buttons though. They're flat and shiny metal and are a little bit scratched up. Does anyone know where I can buy some replacement buttons? I need the two big buttons on the front and 4 smaller ones on each sleeve. And what buttons should I go with? Brass?

12. vida

vida Senior member

Need a pair of black laceups to wear mainly with sport coats and odd trousers. Would you choose a cap toe or plan toe. ( I am thinking plain, but would like second opinions)

13. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Captoe. I think plain toes are too formal for most cases.

For sport coats and odd trousers, you should be going for brown/burgundy with an even more casual design. I like perforated toes.

14. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

15. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Picked up a like new navy blazer thrifting last week.. I really dislike the buttons though. They're flat and shiny metal and are a little bit scratched up. Does anyone know where I can buy some replacement buttons? I need the two big buttons on the front and 4 smaller ones on each sleeve. And what buttons should I go with? Brass?

Silver unless you're doing a nautical thing. Any tailor shop, JoAnn's or other local fabric store.