• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

TuckyBourbon

Reaction score
Hey. Here's my situation: I'm a business owner who makes a lot of money, like $300-500k a year net, after taxes. Sick I know. I have worked non-stop the last five years, put off socializing and fashion during that time and now I want to make up for lost time. Basically, I want to throw money and time at the situation in order to get fashion "handled" in my life, and bring my style up from a 4 to a 10 in like a short amount of time.

What should I do?

gsugsu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I own RMW craftsman boots and the soles have held up well in NYC.

+1 very comfortable and durable on concrete.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TuckyBourbon
Hey. Here's my situation: I'm a business owner who makes a lot of money, like $300-500k a year net, after taxes. Sick I know. I have worked non-stop the last five years, put off socializing and fashion during that time and now I want to make up for lost time. Basically, I want to throw money and time at the situation in order to get fashion "handled" in my life, and bring my style up from a 4 to a 10 in like a short amount of time.

What should I do?

Go hire a personal stylist. You can't develop a "level 10" personal style in a short amount of time, so if you must have one soon, you'll have to rent one from somebody who already has one.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will a UK9 grenson captoe be good for a 10.5D US from the measuring device?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
When it rains, it pours...

Originally Posted by mulansauce
After only a short period of wear, most of my leather dress shoes tend to cause intense pain along the top of my foot, around where the top of the toebox creases to meet the foot while walking. Is this a sign that the shoes fit improperly? Or do I just need to break them in and soften the leather? Suede and canvas shoes and leather boots in equivalent sizes don't cause me any discomfort.
I have the same problem. It's to do with fit. Probably means that you have a high "instep", meaning the height of your foot is larger then the height of the shoe. With Balmorals/Oxfords, the lacing part is closed in, meaning that the shoe is narrower and less flexible, putting more pressure on the top of your foot as you walk. Instead, ideally get a better fitting oxford, or wear them with the laces a little loose, or just buy Derby/Blutchers. They won't be as "sleek", but they should give you more room.

Originally Posted by uiriamu
How much do Allen Edmonds shoes stretch width-wise?
I bought a pair that were a little tight in the width at the toe-box on my one foot. I tried everything from getting them stretched at the store, to ramming shoe trees covered in several pairs of socks, and nothing worked. Then I spoke with a SA who told me to hold them over a kettle until the steam inside softened up the leather, and put them on right away with a few pairs of socks on and walk around... perfect! Worked like a charm. The steam/water did mess up the footbed logo a little, but anyway, it worked really well.

Originally Posted by Beast Mode
If I fit a size 38R suit from brand A, would I fit the same size for brand B?
Depends how good a "fit" you're looking for. Generally speaking the only consistency will be the chest size, even then that's a little flexible. All the other measurements and the general proportions will often change between brands and even within lines of the same brand. So everything will be similar, but basically the answer is NO.

Originally Posted by Atreus
I'm tired of dress shirts that are crap. I think I want to get some rlpl shirts in the upcoming gilt sale, but I don't have any experience with the brand.
How's the fit? (I'm 6 foot, 170 lbs, athletic build)
Could a tailor easily slim them up if need be?

Try before you buy. Go into a store and try a few brands. It also depends on how picky you are about the fit. Better to only buy what you already know works.
If you buy off the internet stuff you've never fit on, you can pretty easily get it tailored, but aside from the general design, and fabric, part of the reason for even buying is the quality of construction. When you get it tailored, you're ripping half of the shirt apart and you have to trust the guy who's putting it back together again is as skilled as RLPL...

Originally Posted by kcfrommn
is it acceptable to wear a solid vest with a pinstripe suit?
If you're asking this level of question, I'd generally avoid wearing a vest. No offense, just saying. The black vest you're probably talking about to go with your black suit is probably something from a style 10-15 years ago. I wouldn't wear a black vest unless it goes with your tux. Matching odd vests is not for the beginner. Navy suit, white shirt, basic striped tie... start there.

Originally Posted by fafsa
any tie recs for a charcoal stripe suit? or failing that, any types of ties i should avoid? (e.g. colors, stripes)
Uh, pretty much anything. This is a wide open space. Particularly, I like red/maroon striped, navy blue polka dot, or a dark plum colors... white shirt is best, other colors like a LIGHT pink or purple or blue can also work.

Originally Posted by gotnofashion
I don't have much experience with suits. My previous employer had no formal dress code. I am now preparing for MBA Application interviews, and am unsure if my attire is up to snuff.
My main question is about the suit. Is that brand of high-enough quality for the interview, or should I purchase a new one? If I should replace it, what is my target price range, and where is the best place to shop for it? What brands, materials, etc?

FIT is more important then brand or quality. Don't waste money beyond what will simply get the job done. They're not hiring your suit, they're hiring you. Just make sure your suit doesn't get in the way. Post pictures in a "critique my suit" thread for some feedback. Post pics of shirts and ties and shoes and we'll help.
Stick to navy wool fitted suit, crisp white shirt, navy, maroon, gold, yellow, etc tie and black shoes and belt.

Originally Posted by kapay
Can tailors alter ties to be slimmer? It sounds like an easy enough job but would it ruin the integrity of a tie?
Yes they can. Often the ties are better "remade" then originally. There's a company in the states called tiecrafters that does this. I think it's about $20-30 per tie? Not sure though.

Originally Posted by msza
I'm seriously looking for the brand that makes jacket interiors like this. Any help? I think this is a legitimate question.
Guys like Etro, Paul Smith, etc often do paisley or colorful insides. There are a few other companies around but those two are pretty mainstream. Otherwise, you can do MTM and request special linings or send in your own. Probably not worth it, but you could have any jacket relined with custom as well (might cost say $100-150?)

Originally Posted by gabby11303
Where is a good source to go to for matching things up?
Grab a color wheel for shirts and ties, and otherwise I'd suggest experience... generally navy suits and grey suits always go with black shoes and belt, and dark browns also generally work with both.

Dan e gee

Reaction score
Has anybody had a shirt from custom made from the Forzieri website ? If so, would you recommend it? The trouble I have when buying otp is that when I get a 16.5, the fit is ok, but the sleeves are usually too short. So, I buy 17, which is ok in neck and sleeve length, however not in fit, they are too baggy. I usually have to get my shirts altered, or buy custom made. This option would be very convenient for me, although I would like to get some feedback from somebody who has had some experience with Forzieri. http://http://www.forzieri.com/usa/s...sp?l=usa&c=usa Edit: The links to this site don't seem to be working.

ViciousBoss

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a similar looking belt? The one pictured is from Diesel, but I highly doubt I'll be able to find it.

belt1.jpg

Reaction score
if you are wearing an oxford collar shirt with a tie or a jacket, are you to not button down the collar? are there instances when you do and do not use the collar buttons or is it all a matter of choice?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Working out some details on my first bespoke suit. I greatly prefer two-button jackets. But for some reason I've got it in my head that if I have a vest made as well, I will need a three-button jacket. Is a vest appropriate with a two-button?

hchc

Reaction score
indochino, thick as thieves... what other mtm places are there for shirts/suits that you guys recommend?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchc
indochino, thick as thieves... what other mtm places are there for shirts/suits that you guys recommend?

Not sure Indochino is SF-approved. Try StevenAver.com, he posts here.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TuckyBourbon

What should I do?

Lose some weight.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows a good place to buy horn buttons in NYC (preferablly in Manhatton) ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics