1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. theyare

theyare Senior member

I have some unhemmed pants with a 32" inseam. Any chance I can get cuffs on these with a 31" inseam finished? Maybe by the tailor adding some generic fabric that would fold under to make the cuffs?

Anyone help me out on this?

Sorry, need to make a quick decision. tks!

2. slumdawgbillionaire

slumdawgbillionaire Well-Known Member

3. insomb

insomb Senior member

Where can i buy a pair of blue pant like this one below?

http://www.kinowear.com/blog/kinowear-lookbook-14/

thanks

Those don't look like denim, cotton or polyester. These look similar but not quite.

http://toddland.bigcartel.com/produc...rse-royal-blue

Unrelated question: How many buttons on a peacoat? 3 or 4? This is a dumb question but I swore I once read somewhere that it should have 3, anymore and it's a messing up proportions or something... I have no idea. I would think this would be a traditional peacoat, but what do you guys think? Perhaps I'm overanalyzing things.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...emyWoolPeaCoat

4. fiasco

fiasco Senior member

Ive been lurking for a while and i remember coming across a thread about custom made oxfords in a variety of colors but i cant seem to find it again. Any help?

5. John_Edward

John_Edward Senior member

On sports coats/blazers:

If I can find an OTR sports coat for $100 which fits as if it were tailored, is there any reason to spend $300 for the same style of coat simply because it's a better brand and of better construction and better material?

I tried on a GAP grey herringbone sports coat and was surprised it fit so well (had accurate waist suppresion) for $100. I don't remember the button stance being so off, but in the pictures on the website, it looks well high (yuck). I've got to try on (nearly) the same style sports coat from J Crew, which is about $250. I trust the quality and value for money offered by J Crew, so spending more's not out of the question, whereas spending $100 more for the same BR sports coat being offered at GAP is pissing money away.

At what price point does finer quality and longevity become less of a factor (à la H&M's strategy in essence)?

6. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

I'm 5'10" and most of my suits and jackets, accumulated over several years, are size 44R (traditional fit). However a while back I noticed that my clothes were starting to get tight on me. I took myself in hand and over the last 6 months have lost 13 pounds and hope to lose another 7 and get down to a size 42 or 43. Right now the only clothes I have that fits me properly is a 44R slim cut suit and a couple of old jackets, from when I was younger and slimmer. Once I get to my desired weight, can my other suits be cut down without looking ridiculous or do I have to start all over again accumulating suits and jackets?

7. LaCroix

LaCroix New Member

For years I've admired a men's suit designer that seems to have the following signature. The buttonhole on the lapel is of a very different (yet very tasteful) color than the rest of the suit. Sometimes there is two buttonholes on the same lapel.

Most recently I saw this used on the show "Lie to Me". Unfortunately the only picture I could find poorly illustrates this but it is visible.

Would anyone know the name of this designer?
    [​IMG]

8. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

For years I've admired a men's suit designer that seems to have the following signature. The buttonhole on the lapel is of a very different (yet very tasteful) color than the rest of the suit. Sometimes there is two buttonholes on the same lapel.

Most recently I saw this used on the show "Lie to Me". Unfortunately the only picture I could find poorly illustrates this but it is visible.

Would anyone know the name of this designer?

LINK

9. runni

runni New Member

LINK
    Quick trying on. Is it good matching for smth like prom?

10. LaCroix

LaCroix New Member

Thank you very much![​IMG]

11. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I'm 5'10" and most of my suits and jackets, accumulated over several years, are size 44R (traditional fit). However a while back I noticed that my clothes were starting to get tight on me. I took myself in hand and over the last 6 months have lost 13 pounds and hope to lose another 7 and get down to a size 42 or 43. Right now the only clothes I have that fits me properly is a 44R slim cut suit and a couple of old jackets, from when I was younger and slimmer. Once I get to my desired weight, can my other suits be cut down without looking ridiculous or do I have to start all over again accumulating suits and jackets?
    There are lots of threads on this topic. Here are a sampling and a search will turn up more:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=97205
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=116525
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=114863

12. dah328

dah328 Senior member

On sports coats/blazers:

If I can find an OTR sports coat for $100 which fits as if it were tailored, is there any reason to spend $300 for the same style of coat simply because it's a better brand and of better construction and better material?

I tried on a GAP grey herringbone sports coat and was surprised it fit so well (had accurate waist suppresion) for $100. I don't remember the button stance being so off, but in the pictures on the website, it looks well high (yuck). I've got to try on (nearly) the same style sports coat from J Crew, which is about $250. I trust the quality and value for money offered by J Crew, so spending more's not out of the question, whereas spending $100 more for the same BR sports coat being offered at GAP is pissing money away.

At what price point does finer quality and longevity become less of a factor (Ã la H&M's strategy in essence)?

Better fabrics will generally feel better, look better, and last longer than lesser fabrics. Better construction is generally more comfortable and longer lasting. A quality suit will cost more but should last longer. Even if the better suit's longer lifespan is the same as its multiple in cost over a lesser suit, you will have the use of a good suit for each wearing rather than the serial use of two lesser suits.

That said, if you are comparing Gap, BR, and JCrew offerings, they are all at the low end of the quality spectrum. Certainly one may be better than another, but it is hard to imagine any of them being two or three times better than another. If I were choosing among those, I would pick the one that fit best with little expectation as to how well it would wear, etc.

13. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

LINK
    Quick trying on. Is it good matching for smth like prom?

Looks sharp to me. Have fun!

EZ

14. John_Edward

John_Edward Senior member

That said, if you are comparing Gap, BR, and JCrew offerings, they are all at the low end of the quality spectrum. Certainly one may be better than another, but it is hard to imagine any of them being two or three times better than another. If I were choosing among those, I would pick the one that fit best with little expectation as to how well it would wear, etc.
    Thanks. Was leaning towards that rationale as well. I couldn't work out exactly how the BR or J Crew offerings would make sense at two- or three-times the price. I'm not planning to keep these long-term. I just haven't got any sports coats which fit at the moment so thought it best to buy a few colors and patterns I've not got and phase them out with better quality items over time. Where should I be looking for better quality/better value for money at the $150-300 price range or am I stuck with these options until the sales hit the finer high-street shops?

15. premo

premo Senior member

I've been invited to a "semi-formal" (not the tux version of semi-formal but the kind of semi-formal where women wear knee length dresses) diner by this young lady who specified she would be wearing a black dress with teal mid-section. What do I wear to work with this without over-doing it?

16. stevenvg

stevenvg Senior member

17. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Where should I be looking for better quality/better value for money at the $150-300 price range or am I stuck with these options until the sales hit the finer high-street shops?
    Sales or second-hand are probably your only chance of getting a jacket in the next tier of quality in that price range.

18. acconrad

acconrad Senior member

since the following jacket is 3/4 length, is it acceptable to wear with a suit? [​IMG] or are peacoats a bit too informal for suit wear?

19. incastoutcast

incastoutcast Senior member

^I'd say it's fine. Generally my only length measurement for a coat over a suit is that it is longer than the suit...

20. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Peacoats aren't really the thing to wear over a suit.

But is that a peacoat? I can't tell from that picture.

3/4 length isn't an issue. Many overcoats these days aren't full length.