1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. roloflex

roloflex Member

hi there
    This is my first posting in this forum, so I hope I've chosen the right thread. I've just bought the suede version of the Loake Bryant (see attached). Very basic question, do suede shoes require shoe trees just as any other formal shoe?
    [​IMG]

2. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Can this be altered (shortening of sleeve length) at the sleeve end rather than the shoulders ?
    [​IMG]

3. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Can this be altered (shortening of sleeve length) at the sleeve end rather than the shoulders ?

How much shortened?

4. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

The button-holes aren't cut, so of course you can. There's nothing stopping you from removing the stitching for one of the holes if necessary. If you need to shorten that much, but also want to keep 4 buttons, then you might need to have them all removed and restitched so that they match.

5. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

How much shortened?

Around .75" but I can live with .5"

The button-holes aren't cut, so of course you can. There's nothing stopping you from removing the stitching for one of the holes if necessary. If you need to shorten that much, but also want to keep 4 buttons, then you might need to have them all removed and restitched so that they match.

I can live with 3 buttonholes. The basic q is whether the stitching of the uncut buttonhole can be removed ? I am guessing they are made this way both front and back of the sleeve

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

AThe basic q is whether the stitching of the uncut buttonhole can be removed?

The answer is yes. On certain fabrics there's the possibility that the stitching might leave marks, but there's nothing stopping you removing it.

7. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

8. roloflex

roloflex Member

hi there
    This is my first posting in this forum, so I hope I've chosen the right thread. I've just bought the suede version of the Loake Bryant (see attached). Very basic question, do suede shoes require shoe trees just as any other formal shoe?

sorry, whilst I'm at it. These are actually waxed suede shoes. Does anybody know how they need to be treated? I bought a spray and suede brush today but also saw that Timberland sell waxed leather cream (not to be used on Suede...). Quite confused on what is the best way of treating waxed suede. oh, and whether to use a shoe tree [​IMG]

9. blysik

blysik Member

Quick question: anyone have a good tailor recommendation for San Jose, CA?

10. max_r

max_r Senior member

I don't know what your budget is but I just tried on some Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts today and they have high arm holes and surprisingly slim fit. They are $199 for 3, which is pretty good value.

thanks for the recommendation, but i've got shirts sorted for now, mainly i'm just looking for a low priced suit.

11. Trivia

Trivia Member

Quick question: Does anyone know how to care for an alligator belt? Use normal shoe polish? Is there any special polish that can be used? Thanks - any ideas welcome!

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Quick question: Does anyone know how to care for an alligator belt? Use normal shoe polish? Is there any special polish that can be used? Thanks - any ideas welcome!

I am sure Saphir Renovateur is good, but this is probably better. Use sparingly:

http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-...auty-milk.html

13. NerdiusRex

NerdiusRex New Member

I've been searching for a few weeks and haven't seen anything yet. Best I've seen is Howard Yount at $150, and they apparently have a pretty good rep around here.

$150 is kind of a lot for a pair of pants I can't try on, and then have to have tailored anyways to get the hems finished. I can't really afford that on my poor bank teller/student income [​IMG]

Are there no other cheaper options? Ebay hasn't really been working for me either.

14. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Armani jacket
    Brioni shirt
    Brioni pant
    NM belt
    Pantherella socks
    testoni monkstraps
    Hermes cologne
    Piaget watch

15. Lokesh

Lokesh Senior member

Anyone know where to get Obenauf's Leather Oil (the 16 Ounce bottle) for cheaper than their site? The $15.95 is fine, but then the shipping costs like $8! Do any local stores stock this?