1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

What is the quality of Gieves & Hawkes shoes? How do they compare to C&J, Grenson, AS? Thanks

2. gort

gort Senior member

I'm going to be best man in my brother's wedding this summer. Someone mentioned I should get a white sport coat for the rehearsal dinner since I'm best man. Being my first time in this position I had no idea about this tradition or if it's even legit.

First off is this an actual practice?
    Second, if so, suggest a decent white sport coat to look into?

3. zbelden00

zbelden00 Member

Try Nordstrom Rack or Loehmans

Thank you for the response! Another question: What brands make descent 'middle-of-the-road' ($60-70 per) wool slacks? What thread count should I expect to find for descent quality pants that will last a while? Just looking for the basic color staples for work (business casual, no suits).

4. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

I'm going to be best man in my brother's wedding this summer. Someone mentioned I should get a white sport coat for the rehearsal dinner since I'm best man. Being my first time in this position I had no idea about this tradition or if it's even legit.

First off is this an actual practice?
    Second, if so, suggest a decent white sport coat to look into?

I wouldn't do this. I think you will stand out in a bad way. I would dress in a similar manner to other guests. You are the best man, everyone will know you are the best man. Concentrate on your speech. That is what people will remember.

5. poissa

poissa Senior member

Thank you for the response! Another question: What brands make descent 'middle-of-the-road' ($60-70 per) wool slacks? What thread count should I expect to find for descent quality pants that will last a while? Just looking for the basic color staples for work (business casual, no suits).

look for high wool content, like 100%.

6. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

Does anyone have success stories about dry cleaners getting cooking oil stains out of wool pants? Or am I screwed?

7. binge

binge Senior member

Does anyone have success stories about dry cleaners getting cooking oil stains out of wool pants? Or am I screwed?

Yes.

8. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Senior member

Is there a Nordstrom in your area? They often carry Allen-Edmonds. You could try some on there.

If you'd rather take a gamble on some untried shoes, then I'd stick with a size you know that fits, even if it's a different last. If the PAs are snug, you can always take them to a shoe repair shop and have them stretched a bit.

Thanks - yeah I'm in NY so that's not a problem. I just feel bad going into a store, trying on their shoes to find something that fits and then not buying it there. I can't afford to pay full price for the Park's. I guess I have no choice!

9. Surly

Surly Member

Hope this is a quick question. I just purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds Bel Air wingtips in Walnut, and I need everything to take care of them. I'm looking at buying a bunch of Saphir stuff from Francos, but I don't know exactly what I need. So far, this is what I have on my list, but I know it's sorely lacking:

1 - Saphir Renovateur
    1 - Saphir Medium Horsehair brush

I know I need some kind of polish, but really have no idea if I should get wax, cream, neutral, coloured, etc.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

No one?
    It looks like a run of the mill, beige, 3/4 length wool coat.

11. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Dry cleaning fluid is known to work pretty well on oil-based stains. I would definitely try a good dry cleaner if I were you.

12. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

Yes.

Dry cleaning fluid is known to work pretty well on oil-based stains. I would definitely try a good dry cleaner if I were you.

At first I was like [​IMG] and then I was like [​IMG]

Anyone else know from experience?

13. Surly

Surly Member

Should black patent balmorals be reserved for tuxedos only? I ask as I will be attending a semi-formal evening wedding and will be wearing a dark suit. Should I pair this with patent balmorals?

Thank you

14. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Should black patent balmorals be reserved for tuxedos only? I ask as I will be attending a semi-formal evening wedding and will be wearing a dark suit. Should I pair this with patent balmorals?

Thank you

You could probably get away with it, but I am not a fan of patent leather and would avoid it at all costs. Captoe oxfords should be fine.

15. dasai

dasai Senior member

What sort of color is "mouse"? Is it a shade of grey? Brown? Something else?

16. mfais

mfais Senior member

just asking again...

i got a shirt mtm locally and its a slim fitting shirt. the elbow area is a bit tight when i try to touch my chin, how do i resolve this? do i tell the tailor to widen the elbow or is it the back?

17. someyoungman

someyoungman Member

next pair of shoes question -
    workplace is business casual (slacks + button down)
    Current shoes:
    black park avenues
    walnut strands
    that's it...
    what would you get next? would prefer to keep around $300

18. Solo118

Solo118 Member

Quick ?... If I were interested in buying Asian made custom shirts for CHEAP ($20-$30 a pop) where can I look? I know the quality will not be superb, but I am getting sick of having sloppy looking shirts from my usual stores. I have only had success with shirts from h&m and sometimes Zara, but nothing else fits at my usual price point. Wish I could spend more for a proper fitting brand [​IMG] Thanks in advance. PS What about custom cheap slacks? Slim fit of course is a must!

19. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Senior member

Quick ?... If I were interested in buying Asian made custom shirts for CHEAP ($20-$30 a pop) where can I look? I know the quality will not be superb, but I am getting sick of having sloppy looking shirts from my usual stores. I have only had success with shirts from h&m and sometimes Zara, but nothing else fits at my usual price point. Wish I could spend more for a proper fitting brand [​IMG] Thanks in advance. PS What about custom cheap slacks? Slim fit of course is a must!
    if you're in NY - Uniqlo. There is also a ton of slim fit stuff on ebay that are sold from Hong Kong, Korea, etc.

20. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Senior member

if it's food oil - you can also use a little bit of dish detergent and cold water and do a spot cleaning. You can use this with most materials. If it's say a cotton shirt and the stain does not come out, do not throw it in the dryer. The dryer will permanently set the stain in.