1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Is this Seamaster worth $1000? From the 1950s.

[​IMG]

2. apropos

apropos Senior member

If I wear a 9UK in dress shoes and a US10 in Converse high tops, what size do I go for with Sebago Docksides?

3. apropos

apropos Senior member

Is this Seamaster worth $1000? From the 1950s.
    No. Worth $300 max.

4. dragonxking

dragonxking Senior member

thanks for the replies jrd617 and bleachboy.
    the pants actually look like perhaps donegal tweed. the flannel and mabitex do look nice though. thanks for the suggestions

5. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Brooks carries 36 Regular, and up in 1 inch increments. Maybe the SA you talked to meant they didn't have 36 in that store?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatS...color=&sortby=

Yep. I am also surprised that a store in Japan wouldn't carry smaller sizes.

Thanks for the info. I was also surprised, but was told the same thing at multiple stores. According to them, Japanese people have short arms. Sigh.[​IMG]

6. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Is it possible to shift the buttoning position in a suit by closing the 2 buttonholes and getting new ones made at a different position ? Is it a good idea. Assume that there is sufficient lapel roll ...

7. max_r

max_r Senior member

anyone have any recommendations for cheap slim fitting suits with high armholes? everything i find in store has low armholes and i can't stand it.

I've tried searching but i couldn't really find anything. do h&m suits have high armholes?

just need something cheap to help get me through a few more months until i've got a steady income stream coming in, then i can start investing in some nice suits.

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

Is it possible to shift the buttoning position in a suit by closing the 2 buttonholes and getting new ones made at a different position ? Is it a good idea. Assume that there is sufficient lapel roll ...
    No. Not a good idea at all.

9. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

LP blazer
    SR pocket-square
    Lorenzini shirt
    Kiton pant
    BJ belt
    Brioni socks
    testoni penny loafers
    Creed cologne
    Piaget watch

10. NerdiusRex

NerdiusRex New Member

What is the rule for matching a shirt with a tweed Jacket?

Where can I get a nice pair of Grey flannel trousers for less than $100?

11. darkbat

darkbat Well-Known Member

What's the big deal with Gabardine trousers and Grenadine ties?

12. darkbat

darkbat Well-Known Member

anyone have any recommendations for cheap slim fitting suits with high armholes? everything i find in store has low armholes and i can't stand it.

I've tried searching but i couldn't really find anything. do h&m suits have high armholes?

just need something cheap to help get me through a few more months until i've got a steady income stream coming in, then i can start investing in some nice suits.

I don't know what your budget is but I just tried on some Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts today and they have high arm holes and surprisingly slim fit. They are $199 for 3, which is pretty good value.

13. hobscrk777

hobscrk777 Senior member

What is the rule for matching a shirt with a tweed Jacket?

Where can I get a nice pair of Grey flannel trousers for less than $100?

I've been searching for a few weeks and haven't seen anything yet. Best I've seen is Howard Yount at $150, and they apparently have a pretty good rep around here.

I don't know what your budget is but I just tried on some Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts today and they have high arm holes and surprisingly slim fit. They are $199 for 3, which is pretty good value.

Suits, not shirts...

14. murvy

murvy New Member

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster!

Looking into getting my first tie bar. How long should my tie bar be, relative to my tie? Most of my ties are ~2.75 inches at the widest point.

Is it worst to have a tie bar too long or too short? The one I have my eye on is sterling silver and is about 1.81 inches long. Think that will work?

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

15. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

It's only a problem if the tie bar is wider than the tie.